1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins executive Brian Gaine to interview for Jets GM job

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, Jan 9, 2013.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...view-for-jets-gm-job-20130109,0,7623049.story

If there is one thing I have noticed its that the Pats seem to develop and improve the players that were Dolphins while the Jets seem to get worse with the the Dolphin additions they make.Lets hope this trend continues as regards to the Jets.:wink2:

ToddPhin and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Whoa!!

3. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    [​IMG]

unifiedtheory, Pandarilla and SICK like this.
  4. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    The Ireland tree has begun.:lol:

I wonder if Bill Parcells can be far behind.

Boik14, unluckyluciano and Aquafin like this.
  5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Ben Volin is saying that Brian Gaine used to play for Kirk Ferentz at Iowa and has a good relationship with Joe Philbin, and they think a lot alike on players, that losing him could actually hurt the dynamic between Philbin and the front office.

Interesting.

If evaluating assistant coaches is like palm reading, which I've said many times in the past, evaluating assistant General Managers is even worse. That said, I've not gotten a great impression of Brian Gaine and what he's been responsible for in Miami. And in that speech he gave Roberto Wallace in Hard Knocks, it seemed to me like Gaine is front and center in the Dolphins' front office's reverence for testing numbers and under armor warriors. But all of that could be gloriously incorrect so who knows.

oakelmpine, Pandarilla and Bpk like this.
  6. jinx

jinx Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    The Jets hiring Ireland's right hand man over the likes of Tom Gamble and Marc Ross would be delicious.

7. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That's my impression.

oakelmpine and Bpk like this.
  8. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Armando Salguero just wrote on twitter that Gaine didn't want to pay Cam Wake what the Dolphins were offering and was thankfully overruled. Salguero hints that Gaine is a moron.

Bpk, DolfanTom and Boik14 like this.
  9. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    ...wow...

10. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Game recognizes game...:shifty:

11. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    So you could say Gaine going to the Jets would be our Gaine too.:pointlol:

oakelmpine, rafael and Serpico Jones like this.
  12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You should be sent to the Pun-alty Box, for inflicting that kind of pun-ishment.

13. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Our loss is the Jest's Gaine...

14. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I think that job is beginning to look like a quagmire to perspective candidates. Gamble, who came highly recommended and knows Rex Ryan well, was thought be the clear front runner last week but seems to have distanced himself from it. David Caldwell seems to have preferred Jacksonville after having a 2nd interview with the Jets. Tom Heckert might have distanced himself from the job also after having been interviewed. They may need to promote their own assistant, Scott Cohen, to the position.

Whoever the GM is that takes that job, they're going to be stuck with some bad contracts and a team well over the cap, and will probably need to open more holes before they can begin to fix them. All that wasted time is going to suck for the handful of very good to elite players they have.

15. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Hiring Brian Gaine to me would be shades of the Tony Sparano hire. And I'm with Armando for once. It would be hilarious.

Of course, Gaine could turn out to be an extremely good GM. We don't know. But my impressions aren't good.

Desides and Bpk like this.
  16. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Here's a delightful thought: what if Ireland is actually a genius and has been listening to Gaine for the past few years? Even the Ireland haters like me would rejoice as El Jefe goes from mediocrity (we'll call it that for sake of board peace) to brilliance!! :)

schmolioot likes this.
  17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Holy cow the thread isn't locked anymore.

Serpico Jones likes this.
  18. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Fist bumped just for the El Jeffe reference.

We've seen it too little on this board the last year or so

Pandarilla likes this.
  19. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
  20. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Marc Ross. There is our next GM if Ireland doesn't pan out.

21. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Jeff Fisher seemed to like him so who knows.

22. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    :dunno:

But then again if Gaine is truly and idiot and Ireland has been listening to him, it would make you wonder about El Jefe. lol
    ......although, I'd be willing to overlook it if it leads to brilliance and a 2005 Cowboys-esque type draft.

23. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Gaine did play for Ferentz, but it was at Maine, not Iowa. Ferentz was the head coach at Main from 1990-1992. Gaine played at Maine from 1991-1995.

Paul 13 and Pandarilla like this.
  24. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Gaine is the front office version of Chris Clemons.

There, I said it.

maynard likes this.
  25. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    He didnt want to pay Wake his underpaid salary?

How could we ever trust him.

Boik14 likes this.
  26. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Maybe our front office isn't viewed as a joke after all.

27. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    This is the New York Jets we're talking about. The ones who think they can see what no one else can see, and everyone else always turns out to be right.

If everyone else thinks our front office is a joke and the Jets don't, the universe is in balance.

28. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    maybe so. I'm still glad to see one of our guys getting some props.

ToddPhin likes this.
  29. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    This is a win/win for us. Helps us and hurts a divisional opponent.

30. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    Why was this thread locked you may ask.It was an accident....by me....the thread starter.Recent eye operation and fat fingers are my excuse.:smackhead:

For conspiracy theorists I am also Brian Gaines in real life too and I dont like to be criticized unfairly.It was Jeff who didnt want to pay Wake but I had to be the fall guy :angry:.

Thats why I want to get the hell out of here before Ross realizes that we suck and fires us all. .:wink2:

31. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    My completely wild A-- guess is that Gaine is probably very good with math and the salary cap, but a hack when it comes to scouting.

I wonder if Gaine is the reason that the team and Smith are so far apart? IMO the McCourty contract is a good contract to base off of and reasonable given the market price of CBs.

ckparrothead likes this.
  32. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    This certainly could be true, but I always assumed that was Dawn Aponte's role???

ckparrothead likes this.
  33. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Maybe, but years before I ever heard of Aponte, I saw Gaine doing the cap stuff (and being hailed for it). Maybe he has been transitioning himself to more of a GM position since bringing in Aponte. That would seem to be a possibility b/c if that was your goal the next step would be to try and get some GM interviews to get people thinking of you as a true GM candidate.

ckparrothead likes this.
  34. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Some interesting reading on Gaine:

http://www.lohud.com/article/201105...olphins-executive-Gaine-climbs-up-from-bottom

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/07/...-miami-dolphins-front-office-as-assistant-gm/

I like his attitude and how he has worked his way up, he seems ready for a GM job somewhere. As opposed to someone like Matt Millen.

35. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    In all the talk of the Jets GM, one thing about Tannennbaum is he did seem to be a cap wizard. At least that's how it seemed to me. Folks on this board would always talk about how the Jets were in such cap space hell, how making the playoffs killed them in the lockout year, etc. etc. yet the Jets always seemed to land the free agents they wanted.

My question is, will all of Tannennbaum's cap space shenanigans make life difficult for the next GM? I hope the answer is yes.

36. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Yeah but the Jets would work the cap by creating cap space this year in expense of future years (by guaranteeing a player's salary). That's how Sanchez contract is completely out of hand if you look at his cap #.

37. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Difficult for the next GM. Lucrative for the owner though. Jets didn't care about winning as much as they did selling PSLs.

38. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    One day, the Jets will learn that hiring our cast-offs isn't the way to go. Let's hope that day doesn't come for a very long time.

39. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    My biggest beef with Gaine is just that he's been in charge of Miami's pro personnel since he got here in 2008 and one could argue that our pro personnel signings have been disastrous, if we're to exclude Cameron Wake on the basis of Brian Gaine disagreeing with his acquisition.

I mean, Randy Starks was a win. He was paid pretty well I think like $4 million a year if I remember right (stack that relatively with Soliai's $6 million a year and my $6 million estimate for Starks that several people don't want to pay), but he's still been a win. Kevin Burnett is a win so far. I would call Matt Moore a solid win because they paid him "good backup" money and that's what he's been. It's not a big win, but looking at Miami's free agent record, asking for big wins is evidently asking for quite a bit. At this point just to fatten up the win pile you've got to add the Richie Incognito (which we've heard hints was all Sparano) and Jason Taylor signings (both of them)...which are mild wins at best. Do we really give a lot of credit for guys like Jason Ferguson and Anthony Fasano when this coaching staff and front office staff were all Cowboys only months earlier?

Mostly, even the "wins" ended up "losses" in some fashion. Justin Smiley was probably a win from a talent perspective but was definitely a loss from an overall what we paid you versus what we got perspective. Jake Grove was the same, but an even bigger loss as it took even less time for him to show his warts health-wise. Reggie Bush sure had the appearance of a win in some individual games but in the end we paid him $11 million for one rushing season just barely above 1,000 yards (which is an almost meaningless mile marker nowadays) and one rushing season just barely below 1,000 yards, and a likely free agent departure the following year. Chad Pennington fell in their laps and was an obvious signing BECAUSE of how bare the quarterback position was (in no small part because pro personnel acquisition Josh McCown was a complete flop) but even if you want to give full marks for that Pennington only gave one year of service, that's it. That's a big win? Hardly. Did we win on Brandon Marshall? Really? We get his two worst non-rookie years as a pro, he's diagnosed with BPD right in front of our eyes and then we have to jettison him for 3rd round picks, meanwhile having paid him something like $25 million in two years? That's a win? Maybe toss Tony McDaniel in there for the one decent year he had which induced Miami to pay him $6 million more so that he could stay on the roster two more years offering nothing of worth whatsoever. I'm not even sure I call Karlos Dansby a win because they paid him the most money for a LB at the time and he's not really performed to that level. I once brought up Nate Clements when talking about Tom Gamble and most people objected to listing him because of how much he was paid. If Clements is not a win for Gamble then Dansby is certainly not a win for the Dolphins. Lou Polite was a win only until he got money from us and then he was a big time loss.

And those are just the winners. Not even mentioning the losers. Ernest Wilford, Gibril Wilson, Charlie Anderson, Reggie Torbor, Tim Dobbins, Bobby Carpenter, Ikaika Alama-Francis, Benny Sapp, Keith Davis, Boomer Grigsby, Josh McCown, Nathan Jones, Michael Lehan, Tyler Thigpen, Akin Ayodele, Pat McQuistan, Cory Procter, Marc Colombo, David Garrard, Richard Marshall, Artis Hicks, Igor Olshansky...

I mean come on. This is a good record of pro personnel acquisitions? Seems pretty up and down, and mostly down.

unifiedtheory and Serpico Jones like this.
  40. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    Its always amazes me how fans always remember guys like Ray Lucas and Sammie Smith when asked who were the worst Dolphins players ever when the real bad Dolphin players were so bad that we cant remember their names anymore .Think Ernest Wilford, Gibril Wilson ,Jim Druckenmiller,Rick Norton,Cade McNown and there are plenty more ....whose names I have now forgotten.:pointlol: