1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins give DB Minkah Fitzpatrick permission to seek trade

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Kud_II, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014

resnor and xphinfanx like this.
  2. Galant

Apr 22, 2014

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  3. Galant

Apr 22, 2014

4. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Derwin James should have been the pick if we were intent on getting a DB, it was pretty obvious even during the draft. As good as Fitzpatrick was in college and playing on a great team in ALA and for Saban, James just looked like a more complete, talented and established player. Fitz, while talented, just didnt have a set position, those type of guys are too risky to take as high as we did. Sure James did alot of moving around too, but it looks like SD was able to utilize him much more efficiently, and they knew where to play him if they didn't ask him to move around. With James, you knew what you were getting. With Fitz, it was a big question mark. Heck there were other talented guys available who were established at their position, even a guy that we just got our asses kicked by, who's also a hometown kid in Lamar Jackson. But as usual, our draft brass always thinks they're smarter than everyone else, and always go against the conventional wisdom pick (oh we need a QB? HA, we'll take a DB! Oh there's a better one available who's more set at S? Nope, we'll take a slot CB/S/LB who's like a swiss army knife! We're so smart! Why draft for one need with a player when you can draft a guy that covers all of our needs in the secondary! Brilliant! ) Like we have the past several drafts. And who/what do we have left on this roster to show for it? Why in hell did Ross entrust Grier to run this team and entrust him to rebuild the roster? The one constant who's been a part of this team's front office since the start of our downfall from grace as one of the league's premier teams? For the record I'm on board with rebuilding, something we should've done a long time ago, before Flores/Grier, before Gase, before the Tannebaum dumpster fire of a hire, before even Philbin. But there is a right way and a wrong way to rebuild, and as usual, the Dolphins have found a way to screw this up too.

Why would any player want to come here now, unless all they want is to take advantage of our desperation and get a nice payday? Those blue chip guys from Alabama and other talented programs, rest assured they will see all of this and think twice about wanting to come here. Sure they might not have a choice of where they get drafted, but they can always refuse to play for us, sit out camp, demand a trade, ect. Heck they can pull an Eli/Elway move and force us to trade them before we even get to draft them. This current approach to tanking, rebuilding, whatever you want to call it, is already becoming a spectacular disaster, and we haven't even played week 2 yet (which will almost assuredly will be a massacre of epic proportions). Now were trading away recent high draft picks who are still pretty good and clearing the roster out of players we can build on. We just love creating more holes to fill like we do every year. Lord have mercy on this team.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Losferwords likes this.
  5. Galant

Apr 22, 2014

6. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I think you're 100% dead wrong. Here you have the most versatile guy on our defense that Saban raved about, the Dolphins raved about and suddenly he's a problem child? The dude's six foot one and barely 200 pounds, basically playing a hybrid linebacker/slot corner/strong safety role that has him all over the place. He CAN do it, yes, but it's going to shorten his career because he's not built for getting hit inside the box taking on linemen and RB's to make the tackle on run plays.

And for what? So Minkah's team can go 0-16 while he throws away his future in the NFL? You have to be crazy to expect a young MVP player to put himself in harm's way for a tanking team that clearly doesn't care about him.

Think Dwayne Wade in the NBA- he was one of the most dominant of all-time driving the paint early on, but after 4 or 5 years his body was just broken. So he had to completely reinvent his game in order to still compete...but that's not really an option in the NFL.

7. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Two thoughts here. Never a good thing when a player thinks they know better than the coach and isn’t bought into the system. Not sure what’s going on here but where there’s smoke there’s fire. Which leads to my second thought, sounds like a dumpster fire. Not sure what to think or believe but this doesn’t feel good on any level as a fan. I hate to say it but Ross hasn’t earned any of my trust.

8. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Why is Flores done? The owner has signed off on this. One of two things are going to happen. Flores is being used to clean house and the players and fans are going to tune him out and he will lose the lockeroom. Get fired and Harbaugh will be brought in with a ton of picks

or Ross was telling the truth and will be patient and is ok with a scorched earth campaign. And they want 15 picks to build a team at the same time from scratch

resnor likes this.
  9. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Ridiculous. Just ridiculous.

Can we trade Greir for a bag of chips?

tirty8 likes this.
  10. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Best case scenario they get a 2nd round next year. IMO not worth it. This organization is a dumpster fire.

11. Surfs Up 99

Surfs Up 99 Team Flores & Team Tua

May 5, 2016
    100% wrong? Ok. Gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.

KeyFin likes this.
  12. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    We can't even tank right. Is there anything this team can get right? Same ol dumpster fire Dolphins. Shooting ourselves in the foot since 2000.

13. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    So, the front office and coaching staff can quit on this season and it's a solid strategy, but if a player does it, he's a quitter? How do you ask players to show up and risk life and limb when you BOTH know that losing is the real plan? Players get paid to try and win, do you really want a team of players that are willing to roll over and accept losing? I know I don't.

Now, Minkah may in fact have some diva in him, but I won't blame him for being angry about being asked to tank a season or to be used and coached up poorly. We don't know if Flores is a good coach and leader yet -Minkah would have a better idea and it's tough when you know your boss is an idiot.

resnor and KeyFin like this.
  14. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Don't forget two other defensive starters also requested trades at the same time (likely Jones and Rowe, or Jones and McCain). So that's kind of a tough sell that this is simply a Minkah thing...

15. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Something else to keep in mind- no top tier coach is going to agree to lose 16 games with inferior talent since it's career suicide (unless you actually get the 5 year deal and the team honors it...which isn't likely). It's impossible to say no to being an NFL head coach but at the same time, what does anyone expect Flores to accomplish?

To me it's not fair to judge the coaches or the players when we know that the front office doesn't have the same goals in mind.

resnor likes this.
  16. Makados10

Makados10 Active Member

Apr 24, 2010
    If the Dolphins were just having a bad year, I would agree with Surfs and others that Minkah needs to grow pair. This season is different because the organization has set the players up to fail. It has to be disconcerting to play for an organization that you believe is making moves to prevent us from stringing together a few wins and tanking their tank.

I'd ask for a trade from that too. Minkah has value and the Dolphins are in a fire sale. He's just watched a lot of former teammates get shipped off to some pretty good situations, and he needs to play well the next 2 years to earn a big second contract payday.

Silverphin likes this.
  17. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    He's just a Patsy until the team is completely dismantled.

Dorfdad likes this.
  18. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    Good article from Barry:

resnor, Kud_II and KeyFin like this.
  19. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    People become divas. People get big heads.

Minkah can do what he wants, but if he wants to be bigger than the team and the coaches ... then he's a problem player. I don't really fault him, but I also won't care if we sit him.

resnor likes this.
  20. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Bigger than the team....LOL. That makes it sound like he's envisioning a 2-14 season instead of the 0-16 Grier had planned.

21. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I absolutely hate that he has requested a trade. I had a feeling he was one of the guys after Sundays game. The other two i'm willing to bet the house on were Drake, and Reshad Jones. Drake is in a contract year, and there have been rumors about Jones dating back to last season. It's a dark time to be a fan of this team this year. Minkah Fitzpatrick is one player I really really wanted us to hold on to.

Dorfdad and resnor like this.
  22. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    That's what they get paid for. The NFL are full of a bunch of me 1st not team 1st.

23. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    They get paid to help their team win football games. Asking someone to learn/play six different positions is obviously not a "me first" attitude by the player.

24. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Dude chill. We are in for a rough season. We are not the only team that will have a rough season. We are not the only team in history to have a rough season. If Minkah wants to get all self absorbed over a season, then that's his right, and the coach/FO right to treat him as a diva.

resnor likes this.
  25. AGuyNamedAlex

AGuyNamedAlex Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    I'm telling you guys that Flores approach doesnt work unless you are known for a long line of success.

As soon as players realize the team isnt going to try and win at all and the coach isnt putting a great message/image forward of course they want out.

Minkah was pretty damn good last season. He is worth a first back, one bad game doesnt change that.

Dorfdad likes this.
  26. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    Honestly if he tries to win, he kind of is better than the front office at least. To use another play as an example...

Players shouldnt have to accept tanking, how is it fair to Ryan Fitzpatrick that he gets smashed every play, or our backs that get hit as the ball is handed to them?

Some guys are literally being put in danger by the FO.

Pauly likes this.
  27. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    Dallas has already been in contact with Miami.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-spoken-with-dolphins-about-a-potential-deal/

Article seems to confirm the asking price is too high (I'm assuming a first) but they may be open to trade a second and a player where Dallas is already strong.

I would not be surprised to see more teams coming forward with offers.

I know it's hard now but amassing picks then firing everybody in the front office may be the best thing for the future.

Dorfdad, resnor and AGuyNamedAlex like this.
  28. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    That would be kind of messed up too though. To tell Grier he can tear the team apart, then fire him. Basically not giving him a chance to show he can run the show you gave him control of.

No matter what we do honestly it wont look great.

resnor, texanphinatic and Kud_II like this.
  29. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    I'm so mad at this franchise right now I don't care who they fire. If Grier is worth his salt he will find work elsewhere.

I'm only concerned with amassing first day picks and who is going to make said picks.

Also no I wouldn't have wanted to trade Minkah, but just the same if we can get good value for him there are a ton of positions I put more value on, like rebuilding both sides of our depleted lines.

So I'm pretty impartial on it happening. If it happens it happens. I will only be angry if it happens and we don't get good value.

The Dolphins should hold onto him until the best offer comes in.

Dorfdad and resnor like this.
  30. Finatik

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    It is a me 1st attitude if you don't do it and want a trade the 1st game.

resnor likes this.
  31. Finatik

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    A second and an O lineman maybe.

Kud_II likes this.
  32. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    So were on the verge of losing the second top 5 rated draft pick we were extremely fortunate to land? Is that what's happening with this franchise? We "know" Minkah is a top talent who proved it on the field last year with us and b4 that with Bama. We "think" Flores is a good coach b/c his game plan held a high flying Offense to 3 points in the SB. Well the cheaters held Big Ben & co to 3 points last week without Flores.

The coach who shall not be named says Minkah is the best defensive player he has ever coached(and that's saying a lot), but somehow these coaches have him on the sideline for large portions of the game? We run a multi scheme defense but they get rid of a young productive DT in V.Taylor b/c he's not a scheme fit? I'm really getting an adam gase 'I am always the smartest person in the room' vibe from Flores. Not good. Not good at all.

33. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    That wouldn't be a bad deal for a team, given that they'd have a player on a really cheap contract for three years. Help for the OL is not in line with the tanking though, so Miami would have to reject the deal.

34. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    late first and a player for me

Kud_II likes this.
  35. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    It sounds like this is gonna get done. I honestly think we should make him inactive. It would be the most Dolphins thing ever to see this guy get hurt and then have this prolonged drama between Minkah and the organization.

I don't like this at all, but it sounds like the decision has been made.

36. Makados10

Makados10 Active Member

Apr 24, 2010
    I actually disagree with that tirty8.

I don't think the fins want to trade Minkah. They aren't trying to keep him in shrinkwrap to protect his trade value. If he gets hurt while playing, then that happens... His versatility has higher value to the fins' plan going forward than his immediate trade value. Minkah will be a happier solider when Tua is commanding the offense on the other side of the ball next year.

37. Zigs

Zigs Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Tweet from Adam Schefter

As
    @mortreport
    said on Sunday NFL Countdown, Dolphins are looking for “a firm 1” and then some in return for CB Minkah Fitzpatrick. Five teams have expressed interest.

texanphinatic likes this.
  38. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    No reason to expect less. Kinda like the Amari Cooper trade, but I'd see if we can get a mid rounder and/or a developmental player in addition to the 1. No reason to trade for less.

39. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    But that's the thing- he has done it and performed at a very high level his entire NFL career.

40. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Who are you talking about? Can’t possibly be talking about Minkah. I scrolled back through twice trying to figure out what player you were talking about.

Minkah is not “versatile” like you said. He hasn’t performed at a high level at any position except slot CB. And his “entire NFL career”?! Do you mean 8 games?!

I must be missing it. You’re not talking about Minkah for sure.