1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland: No plans to part with OT Jake Long NFL.com

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by xphinfanx, Apr 29, 2012.

1. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-with-ot-jake-long?module=HP11_headline_stack

Didn't see this posted yet.

2. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Like most around here I really enjoy the transparency with Ireland.

Ophinerated and xphinfanx like this.
  3. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Just amazing at how fast the media posted Jake out the door because we drafted someone who might step in and help. Glad we were able to get a O line player from the draft and still make a splash :dolphin: in the draft.

4. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    good for ireland sticking up for his guy in the face of horrible media representation. I'd also like to hear a more public announcement about why we didn't take flynn but i guess that might come off as unprofessional. It will be better when/if we start winning games with tannehill.

5. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Because 2 good games against bad defenses does not a franchise QB make.

6. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    People around Miami... sports fans, his peers... need to make an example of Mike Berardino. He should be the poster child for hacks posing as sports journalists. That was the most idiotic, self-serving, speculative pile of steaming s**t I've ever seen in a sports story. I knew the guy was a numbskull from his Twitter posts, but this is an all-time low, IMO. I have lost all respect for that twit.

7. jinx

jinx Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Goes without saying but rumors that originate at the Sun Sentinel shouldn't even be acknowledged.

djphinfan likes this.
  8. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    neither does 19 games in college. see how that works? point of the post which you missed was that id like to see ireland come out and say that publicly to shut down all the negative press.

To clarify my opinion, matt flynn is more of a sure thing than tannehill but tannehill has WAY more upside. If forced to pick between the two for our team, all costs included, I'd take tannehill.

9. jboogie

jboogie The sky is NOT falling!

Well done Mr Ireland, slowly gaining my respect.

10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    He doesn't need to, it's obvious what went down..besides Ross already told everyone.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  11. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    dolfan7171 likes this.
  12. phinfan13

phinfan13 Member

Oct 31, 2010
    We draft a tackle that will help with the right side and soldify our offense of line and we catch hell for this, I hate the media. Jake Long will be with us for along time and we now have a young line that will be one of the best in the league for a long time.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  13. NYFinFan

NYFinFan Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Long Island, New York
    I do like how Ross and Ireland have been so far this offseason. They're being more open and informative to us. I guess Parcells really did run the show around here from top to bottom.

dolfan7171 and djphinfan like this.
  14. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011

and as I said in the post you qouted, "that might come off as unprofessional". I'm sure philbin likes him (flynn) as a person and didn't want anything like that to come out. I'm sticking up for ireland for once and I still get attacked. I dont get it lol

15. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    i think this has to do with ross being a smart biz guy. He understands how perception can effect the dolphins brand. Being more open about what we're doing we drive fan support.

16. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Jake isn't going anywhere.

If they don't get a deal done this year, he'll be franchised. Right now we're like $50 million under the cap next year, so we could afford it.

We had a gaping hole at RT and now run a zone blocking scheme for a west coast offense. We draft a technically sound, 'finesse' tackle and all of the sudden the best and most complete tackle in the league is a goner and/or doesn't fit. :lol:

Seriously, how often does a left tackle of that caliber and 27 years of age become available?

They don't. And he won't.

17. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    the only possible way i see long leaving is if no deal gets done and suffers a major injury god forbid.

18. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    You are correct, the obvious did not need to be publicized..out of class and respect for the prospect..The first part of your post insinuated that you wanted explanation, so my bad if I misinterpreted.

19. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Any big time free agents next year that we could use that money on? After we lock up Cam Wake and Jake Long?

I also like how much media stuff tr Dolphins are doing. It really does make a difference.

20. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house

and neither does going 10 - 9 in the td to int ratio does a qb make.

we shall see , I still rather hae had Flynn.

21. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Its hard to understand how a media person can reason that we would draft a Tackle to replace Long, discounting the fact that we have an opening and a big hole at right tackle that needs to be filled. Its very shabby sports reporting or very poor speculation.

22. Mrtree

Mrtree Juan Huron's agent

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I think the media thinks Occums razor is a shaving tool

Ophinerated and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  23. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    It's not really all that insane to think that theres a scenario where he could replace Long. It's not the ideal scenario, but if his demands are ridiculous or he's breaking down then you're in a better position.

24. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    They did come out and pretty much say why. Ther weren't convinced he was any better then Matt Moore so they only offered him equivalent money to Moore + some. Basically competition money. Seattle was willing to give him starters money while still drafting a QB and holding an open competition. Basically Seattle's just throwing money/picks out the door since Charlie.

25. Thank god he squashed that rumor, I was worried for awhile there.

Sent from the depths of hell
    using Tapatalk.

26. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Ireland...do good?...I..don't know how to respond to this...

27. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Ronnie Bass likes this.
  28. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    That's correct, but that's not why Berardino wrote the article.

29. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, to be blunt, I'm not sure if a 12 million dollar per yr Left Tackle is as needed as they used to be.

I've said this before, but to me, that is a huge slice of the cap to dump on someone who does not score Td's.

30. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    time to change that location phrase Pod..we don't have room for Hilis.lol

31. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Unless you have a brand new shiny 1st rd QB....

Killer Bees and Ronnie Bass like this.
  32. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Heh, we had a brand new shiney 2nd rd Qb and Long didn't keep him from being injured.

Point being, the "franchise Left Tackle" stuff is from the era when LT would passrush every play, today's nfl he'd be more likely to line up over the RT.

Unless you can just flop your left tackle to right tackle to deal with such a move, your 12 million dollars is going to a guy blocking some podunk LDE..which is supposedly not what made them so highly prized previously but yet, the paradigm or meme remains.

I like Big Jake, don't misunderstand that one, but one can see why a GM would not be willing to put that much money into the position.

33. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    i'll admit that the defense comes at you from all places but it's still the blindside. And regardless of whether or not Henne was kept from getting hurt, it's still every bit important that Jake stays where hes at if we expect Tannehill to mature into a franchise guy.

especially in a division where the Jets and Pats just spent first rounders on pass rushers, and the bills just signed mario williams. Jakes importance shot up even higher after those moves.

34. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I've said before that if we already had a franchise QB I'd have no issues letting Jake go considering what he will want to be paid. However with a young guy like Tannehill protection needs to be a priority.

Also Padre I disagree in a way. Most elite defenses have multiple pass rushers who make an impact. It's important to have two tackles these days. Also as was said, it is the blind side. If Jake keeps the other teams best rusher over Martin I'm fine with that even if he doesn't have to block him.

35. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, follow that logic, you'd need RT's who are just as athletic as the LT, thusly you have to pay them 12 million per yr as well, 24 million spent on offensive tackles?

To me, it would be better to have a different approach or your salary cap becomes a slave to the offensive line, as how the NFL works if you have that good of tackles, then DT's become more important, so you'd better draft G's and C's with high picks as well, oh and if you want to keep them you have to pay even more. Which is sort of what we've done, high picks on the OL, Wr's are 4th rd picks or later..we've finished top 10 in offensive production once since using that approach.

36. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    That isn't following the logic though.

The right side is in your peripheral vision as a Quarterback while the left is not. Having a team put their best rusher on the right side is an advantage even if it is a mismatch. Also drafting lineman does the opposite of make you a slave to the salary cap. With the new rookie pay scale it guarantees you don't have to overpay through free agency.

Also what resources have be put into the line? Jake was drafted what four/five years ago? Pouncey last season? Martin in the second? Anything past the third isn't a resource IMO. It's hoping you scout a player properly and see his true potential. You don't expect guys from the fourth on to be major contributors unless someone slips (Like Miller). So in four/five years spending three valuable picks is not a big deal. Especially when you realize the line is comprised of five different positions.

37. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    Now count all the times he did prevent henne from injury....

Fin D and Fin-Omenal like this.
  38. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    This.

Do you guys not remember the gap between Webb and Long? How many blindside sack/fumbles did our mediocre QB's endure in that stretch? Lots. I remember those game changing plays all too well. Jake is staying a Dolphin.

39. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    How much did Grove and Smiley costs?

What has been the opportunity costs been taking those Olinemen, many of whom played rarely, over taking skill position players?

Think John Jerry > Jimmy Graham using that approach, for me, seen enough to know the draft an OL high stuff is mind addled imo, at least until you have your playmakers sorted out.

40. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Different era, this is one of the outdated things about this, now you are more then likely to see your Qb sack/stripped on a Cb blitz then the LT failing to block some passrusher

And, how many sacks did Long give up last yr?