1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins have 5th best ROI...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin-Omenal, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Actually it should read...ROI, return on investment. Doh!

Who gets the credit when your team is only behind elite talented rosters like Car, Den, Phi, Sea as far as return on investments? Ireland? Aponte?

PFF created the JVM value chart which takes player A production and matches it up with what they made. According to the study Ryan Tannehill earned his salary better than anyone, and the all but gone Solia was grossly overpaid when comparing his performance.

Most of the bottom 10 performers will be gone or are likely gone when cutting them is viable...

Other Top 5 overpaid

Incognito, Clabo, Patterson, Dion Jordan, Ellerbe.

Other Top 5 underpaid

Grimes, Wake, Hartline, Odrick, Clay

Found it interesting, especially when you factor in the stability of the 4 franchises ahead of us.

SICK, Sceeto, Rocky Raccoon and 6 others like this.
  2. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Good info. I think that the team was clearly trending in the right direction before the crap that went on in the locker room, and then wetting their pants in the final two weeks. The problem is that Ireland and Philbin didn't see eye to eye on what kind of players the team needed, and Im not sold on the coaching staff's overall ability. I think that if you took the same roster and had it led by the staff of a good team, they were a lock for the playoffs last year, and maybe the division title.

3. fins104

fins104 New Member

Oct 1, 2013
    ROI in football is very hard to determine. While I like pff how can we have that high of a return on investment when our entire offensive line is crap, our two highest paid linebackers that we signed last year were awful, reshad jones signed a huge contract and didn't play well last year, mike Wallace wasn't great last year.

sure we have a bunch of guys getting paid little and producing but our ROI can't be too high from a football sense if we are a mediocre team and a bunch of our highest paid players played like crap. This says more out of our ability to find diamonds in the rough on small contracts rather than us having great success and guys poutaying their contract

4. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Perhaps Ross mutually parted ways with the wrong guy.

5. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Re: Dolphins have 5th best ROV...

Not sure what's all factored in...but I believe Wallace did what he always has, get open deep. So his stats don't tell the whole story.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Sceeto likes this.
  6. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

IMO, ROI should = performance/record. 8-8 is far from Seattle.

There's ALWAYS going to be one player who surprises with great play, and many times it's because they have to pick up somebody else's slack. Players individually doing well has no value...how'd the team do?

While I love PFF and believe they are great at individual stats, I don't think they take the whole picture into enough account for stuff like this.

Judging by their rating, we shoulda been in the AFC Championship Game with Denver...

7. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

One must only look as far as the O line and LBs to realize...no.

MikeHoncho and cdz12250 like this.
  8. jdallen1222

jdallen1222 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl

Compares performance to what they were paid. If our players were paid less, should we have won the super bowl?

9. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    This would make it seem like our team and roster are headed in the right direction. But I cannot help but feel spooked after those putrid last 2 weeks. Want to talk about a mystery? Those 2 games have numbed my hopes for this franchise. I'm still searching for answers. How could it have happened?:sad:

10. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    More than anything it shows that maybe we aren't or were not as incompetent in regards to evaluation and contracts. I hated the Ellerbe signing, still do.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

11. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Any links?
    I'd be interested in seeing the list of teams and get some more context.

12. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    MikeHoncho likes this.
  13. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010

Lots of teams had struggles on the OL, one of them won the Super Bowl. I'd rather look at the entire team instead of the positions which reinforce my preconceived notions.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  14. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Very true, we graded as only the 22nd worst OL I believe...whatever that means.

15. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    It is nice to see that the Dolphins had a high ROI in regards to their team roster, compared to other NFL teams. Unfortunately the ROI for the season ticket holders of the Dolphins the past four years was near the bottom of the league. Personally I would rather have seen the ROI for the Dolphins much lower and the product on the field much better.

DPlus47 likes this.
  16. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Your stating the obvious, ofcourse that's what we all want.

17. roy_miami

roy_miami Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2013
    The problem for Ireland is he left a big chunk of change collecting interest in the bank last season (more than $20 million and is the reason we are in good cap shape now) which was a terrible investment.