1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins in Two of Greatest Games Brackets

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Here's the link:

http://www.nfl.com/bracketology

More and more, I think the NFL.Com pundits have little historical awareness. They have to be too young to be involved in the setting up of these brackets.

A. They have the seedings all askew with the Packers-Cowboys '67 Ice Bowl, the Dolphins-Chiefs '71 game and the '81 49ers-Cowboys all in the same section of one bracket.

B. Even worse, they have the Dolphins-Chiefs '71 Double OT game (longest game every played) against the '67 Packers-'Boys in round 1.

For my money, the '71 Dolphins-Chiefs game - on Christmas Day, which made it especially unique - is still as great as any game I've seen. There were so many great plays - especially for that era. Yepremian won it with a FG (fortunately for the Dolphins, the great Jan Stenerud missed three FG's that day, from 29, 32 - with seconds left in regulation, and had one from 42 blocked just 3 minutes into OT after a great kick return by Ed Podolak). These were two of the great AFL (AFC) franchises of the time. The Chiefs had won a SB already and had a great team. The Dolphins were in their first trip to the SB of three in a row.

Though I was rooting for the Dolphins, the star of the game was undoubtedly RB Ed Podolak - who accounted for 350 total yards, rushing (85), receiving (110), and returns (155 - including three KO returns for 154 yards).

The other game with Miami is the '81 Chargers-Dolphins game that Miami lost, 41-38. Another classic game with Kellen Winslow playing a heroic game fighting cramps and having to come off the field several times.

firedan likes this.
  2. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    The two other Dolphins games I think are great are us beating the Bears in '85 on Monday night to keep them from having a perfect season and unquestionably being the greatest team in NFL history, and that Meadowlands disaster in 2000 where the Jets put up 30 points in the 4th quarter after most Jets fans had left the stadium (and started to trickle back in as they heard about the miracle unfolding), then beat us in OT.

shula_guy likes this.
  3. ChrisKo

ChrisKo Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Desert
    I don't know anything about this mystery game in NJ that never happened. :shifty:

shula_guy likes this.
  4. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    3 brackets! (Stupid Jets)

5. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    The 81' Playoff game was the greatest game I ever watched, hands down. And I've seen them all since the mid 70's.

6. To this day I still hate Dan Fouts

the Monday nighter to beat the bears was the most emotional game I ever watched. Anyone on the fence about Marino became a believer after that game and the noise generated by the orange bowlers was epic. Litterally stopped the game and the fans stayed the course. Loud and proud and would not be denied the victory of defending our legacy. Without question that game was my all time favorite fan memory.

7. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    For those who want to see it again.. here it is on youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1AkJMzL3NU

Check from around 19:50 in that video for when the crowd gets too loud to continue play..

8. 13Machine8385

13Machine8385 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 2, 2014
    The '86 Dolphins-Jets game was pretty memorable. 51-45 in OT, with the wrong team winning. Still a really fun game to watch. The best shootout game of all time by 2 QBs.

My favorite has always been the 38-24 beating that we put on the '85 Bears.

I wasn't a fan until 1984 so I missed the 70's teams and even the '81 Chargers game. Those games must've been great during those eras.