1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins interest in Tyrann Mathieu

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Disgustipate, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/s...ns-among-teams-talking-to-honey-badger/nT5Wb/

Not to blow it out of proportion at this early a stage, but I thought this was interesting:
    I realize that a mock draft is incomplete without Mathieu or Marcus Lattimore in the late rounds, but I think it's possible that the Dolphins are interested in Mathieu to the point where they wouldn't be willing to spend a higher pick on him than others, Maurice Clarrett-style.

There's a confluence of a couple of things, I think. We've got a GM in a "show-me" year who has loads of picks creating a less risk-adverse atmosphere than normal, a mandate for "play-makers", a head coach pushing defensive turn-overs, and a defensive coordinator who has made a specialty of dealing with ****-ups(and also is pretty aggressive with slot blitzes).

Bpk likes this.
  2. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Considering the impact Kevin Coyle managed to get out of Jimmy Wilson in the slot, I think Mathieu would be ideal as a slot CB. Just not sure where you value him...late 3rd? 4th?

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    His talent was never in doubt, he may be worth the risk.

4. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

IMO, Wilson was more a lack of impact. He was generally pretty bad in coverage this past season.

5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Only if Ricky Williams will mentor him.

6. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I'm curious as to why you think that. Tyrann is a 5'8" cornerback with safety speed. Many of you have been questioning Johnthan Banks speed, and those questions are not legit IMO. The questions on Tyrann's speed are legit. I'd be surprised if he breaks 4.6 in the forty. Speed isn't everything though if you can cover, but he's also below average in coverage. He makes highlight reel plays because he will be aggressive and jump routes, but from a positional standpoint, he is nothing more than a special teams guy in the NFL.

Phinfanjt likes this.
  7. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    I think he's a special teams maven.

8. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I would take him. Question marks at CB, but I still think the upside is there. At the very least he could be a stud return guy.

9. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I know. And yet, Wilson still managed to provide some decent pressure on blitzes from the slot. I think Mathieu could fill that role. And be a lot better at it.

10. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Janoris Jenkins looks great.... and his issues were "chronic" too !

11. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Janoris was an elite pure man to man cover corner. That's not Tyrann.

Oboy, unluckyluciano, Bpk and 2 others like this.
  12. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm not sure that I'd call it a high floor, but I think he's going to give you value in some way. Personally I would. I don't love Thigpen as much as many do. Yes, he returned 2 for TDs, but he also made some costly mistakes. I think Mathieu can be a special return guy and still has upside at CB, which is a need position.

13. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    your willing to spend a 3rd or 4th round pick on a troubled special teams player?

14. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Especially since we may not have even 1 legit starter at CB if SS24 walks... No thanks.

15. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Wonder how he hurts the team and how that balances out. More positive than negative? HOw does it project to NFL level competition.

16. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    We've got a bunch of picks, so that makes a 5th rounder on him quite agreeable with me. perhaps a 4th depending who's there.

17. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    IMO, putting him in the slot isn't going to make him a better coverage player. He was a mid round talent at best before his problems.

18. dwhorton

dwhorton New Member

Mar 6, 2009
    i remember k.c. joyner charting him last year and he was avg against college players , way too much hype.

19. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

With his off field baggage, he's no better than a 6th or 7th rounder to me, and very possibly a UDFA. This dude is a serious weed dealer. Alfonzo Dennard, a better cover corner, fell all the way to the 7th for getting into one bar fight.

ToddPhin likes this.
  20. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I even have a hard time with the idea of spending a LATE pick on him. And here's the reason for that. Right now Dane Brugler at NFL Draft Scout has the following players falling into the 6th-7th-UDFA type area:

RB Ray Graham, RB Cierre Wood, RB Dennis Johnson, RB Kerwynn Williams, FB Kyle Juszczik, TE Justice Cunningham, TE Levine Toilolo, TE Joseph Fauria, TE Phil Lutzenkirchen, WR Denard Robinson, WR Aaron Mellette, WR Corey Fuller, WR Jasper Collins, WR Marquess Wilson, DE Cornelius Washington, DE Quanterus Smith, DE/LB Travis Johnson, LB Vince Williams, LB Tom Wort, LB Kenny Tate, LB Jake Knott, CB Terry Hawthorne, CB Brandon McGee, CB/S Sanders Commings, CB Travis Howard, CB Khalid Wooten, CB Kayvon Webster, CB Greg Reid, FS Josh Evans, FS Corey Broomfield, SS Shamarko Thomas, SS Earl Wolff and SS Duke Williams.

As an exercise, I thought to myself I wonder if I could build an entire 7-player draft from just these 6th-7th round rated guys and actually come up with at worst a "mediocre" draft. I think I could.

But only going with 7 guys, I'm leaving guys on the board that I'm actually very high on...guys that I'd want on my team. How many of these guys would I take above Tyrann Mathieu? He wouldn't make my top 7 guys from this list. He wouldn't make my top 10, either...or even top 15.

So where the rubber meets the road is I'm going to be picking in the 6th and 7th rounds and still finding guys that I like better than Tyrann Mathieu. Which means he's better off to me as a no-cost UDFA.

MrClean likes this.
  21. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I would definitely take a look at Josh Evans at 6 or 7. Although I would still much rather have Elam.

Also, weren't you high on Fauria? He'd be worth a six add well.
    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

22. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Very high on Fauria. At the very worst a role player especially near the end zone where he's damn near impossible to cover.