1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins Investigating FA OT's

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phoenician Fan, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
  2. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Obviously its a need, a solid backup would make me feel a whole lot better.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

PhinsRock, FinsUp, SICK and 3 others like this.
  3. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    They'd be stupid not to.

Gaither!

4. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I wonder how Jerry is recovering? He could function as the back-up for both T positions.

5. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    LMAO @ the media. They're going to milk the OT issue till the nipples fall off. Even funnier: people are still falling for it. The Dolphins are trying hard to keep Jake Long. They weren't. The Dolphins are looking to trade for Branden Albert. Apparently getting Jamar Taylor was more important. The Dolphins are trading up for a blue chip OT. Wrong again, it was Dion Jordan.

Now the Dolphins are "looking at FA OTs". No isht Sherlock. They've been looking at them since March. McKinnie, Winston, Clabo, among others. If Ireland's a half decent GM, and I think he is, then he has his scouts scouring the globe for potential upgrades at every position, year round. This aint news.

6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    *Cough*...*cough*

Uhm, yeah, coaches are seeing the same things we are seeing, no way they can be 100% comfortable with the performance JMartin has been putting on display.

ASOT and adamprez2003 like this.
  7. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

First of all, it's Omar...secondly, "league sources" confirm? He needs to quit paying waterboys and use that money on some writing classes. That said, I don't think it would be news to anybody that the organization is exploring options for tackles...we could certainly use some depth.

mbsinmisc and cuchulainn like this.
  8. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    You'be be dumb not too. Our OL depth is thinner than Kate Moss.

9. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Vollmer, Brandon Albert, McKinnie....sure would be nice to have one of them on the team. speaking of Albert, I don't know why Ireland didn't wanna give up a 2nd for him, it's not like he ever hits in that round lol...who wouldn't trade a Pat White, Daniel Thomas, Jon Martin, Merling, Henne, Misi, etc for Brandon Albert?

10. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Yeah its not like those guys that are worth anything wouldn't be costing nearly $10M/yr. Just a minor detail I'm sure.

Sent from my HTC One GE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mbsinmisc and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  11. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    looking for upgrades in March is fine, everyone does that...looking in August is a completely different situation, and not one that you would prefer to put your team in because at this point there's barely any talent left.

NCFINFAN likes this.
  12. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Because he would be a one year rental and there is no gurantee we will re-sign him?

13. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    I didn't name Ryan Clady... Vollmer signed for just less than 7 mil/yr, McKinnie was half that, even Albert wasn't getting 10 mil a season.

ASOT likes this.
  14. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    even Ireland wouldn't have been dumb enough to trade for Albert without him agreeing to an extension.

15. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Sorry, can't help it this time............
    A solid STARTER would make ME feel a whole lot better.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  16. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

It's my hope they are trying to upgrade every position, all of the time.

darefugee, SICK, Claymore95 and 3 others like this.
  17. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Have you watched the practices or are you scouting on Twitter?

18. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    remaining free agent tackles:

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013OT.php

Sean Locklear, 32
    Sean Locklear was a major upgrade over David Diehl at right tackle. He pass protected well, but didn't open up any running lanes. Unfortunately, he's a 32-year-old coming off knee surgery.

Jared Gaither, 27
    Jared Gaither is one of the most talented tackles in the NFL. Unfortunately, he's very injury-prone and lazy. A team with a strong locker room and coaching staff should consider signing him to a 1-year deal.

Jammal Brown, 32
    Jammal Brown missed all of 2012 with a hip injury. He's always been injury-prone, and at 32 (in March), he can't be counted on as a starter anymore.

Winston Justice, 28
    Winston Justice surprisingly was a decent blocker for the Colts at times this past season, but he was constantly in and out of the lineup because of various injuries.

Demetress Bell, 29
    Demetress Bell struggled in Howard Mudd's system, so maybe he can rebound elsewhere. Still, he's a big injury risk, as he's endured knee problems throughout his career.

Frank Omiyale, 30

Wayne Hunter, 32

Rhody Phins Fan and Larry Little like this.
  19. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Winston signed with Arizona

20. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Wish I had a way to prove it, because I'd bet money this is for a backup tackle because Dallas Thomas was so awful at LT and looks like a guard in the future. No one on that FA list is going to be a better value than Martin

Claymore95, Fin D and rafael like this.
  21. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    good catch, i edited

looks like slim pickings available

22. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

^ is exactly that I was thinking....get out my skull!!

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  23. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, to me it's doubtful you would find a plug and play quality LT at this stage of the process.

Jamal Brown stands out to me a bit, maybe Bell as well, Gaither could really solve some problems but may bring problems, suspect he had the Haynesworth "got my money' syndrome in SD.

24. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    backup lt is scary bad, so this makes sense

25. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Wait for cuts would be another option, maybe turn Martin into a guard next year if he doesn't play to an average level, spend the little cash we have on an average free agent.

26. I can't see this at all. Martin is a tackle or not a OLman IMO. He has all the movement skill in the world, is definitely fast enough and quick enough, his problem is he doesn't have the balance and strength. If he can't cut it at tackle he surely won't make it at guard.

MrClean, Hiruma78 and ASOT like this.
  27. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Then I guess we better hope he makes it at tackle..

He's definitely fast and quick enough, I agree with you there, also agree that his balance is a weakness, so I'm not sure what your trying to say.

28. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Personally I think that waiting until after cuts is going to be the best option. I think if you look really look at things, barring injury, Miami's going to go into the regular season with the following:

LT - Martin
    LG - Incognito
    C - Pouncey
    RG - Samuda
    RT - Clabo

Dallas Thomas is going to be on the roster in some capacity. I think he's ideally situated as the LG of the future. AND, I think he'll be fine at LG. Miami just gave a decent extension to Nate Garner who can play 4 of the 5 spots on the O-line pretty well, save LT, so he and Thomas are probably linemen 6 and 7 out of the probably 8 you're keeping, at least based on last year's numbers.

Do you keep someone like Lance Louis? Do you hope John Jerry comes back from the knee scope in time (and in shape?) to be the top swing T going into week 1? That, after all, might be the best option. Do you wait and see if Jeff Adams or Will Yeatman progress before you sign someone? I think you certainly have to wait and see what happens with Jerry, Adams, and Yeatman, before you make a move.

FinsUp and GMJohnson like this.
  29. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Since our backup LT is better suited as a guard, this isn't surprising. Martin has not been good but it's still too early to just give up on him like so many want to do. Doesn't change the fact that we need better depth at the tackle position so Ireland is doing his job.

30. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think Samuda or Louis end up as the RG, with the other as the backup for the interior of the line. I have Louis as better than Samuda if/when healthy, but I'm fine with Samuda starting and waiting for Louis to continue to heal. Although apparently today Louis looked a lot better so he may get there sooner rather than later. I think you keep Garner and Jerry (assuming he's healthy) as the backup for the Ts. Obviously Thomas makes the team but is hopefully one of the two inactive OL each week.

31. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    In 6 off-seasons he has yet to put together a championship caliber OL. Sorry but he still needs to go.

32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Well I do think there is a weakness in his game identifying good offensive lineman..

33. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm sorry, $7M. I'm sure there's money just sitting around for them.

Sent from my HTC One GE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

34. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

*Cough*...*cough*

Umm, yeah, I think they are concerned about our depth after Martin at LT...and that is reason enough to search for another OT... I don't think Martin enters into the equation, except that they need someone to back him up.... Martin did fine in the HOF game, that was shown. Martin may or may not have had really poor practices, depending on who you listen to... At this point, Martin is our LT and he's progressing along ok for a 2nd year guy...simply as that... We do, however, lack in depth behind him...

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  35. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    On the flip side, he's identified and built a great defensive line that has more depth than about anyone in the NFL.

36. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    fixed.

so where was this "great defensive line" (sans Wake) last year? Or the last game of the season for that matter when lil cheater was able to text Gisele all day in the pocket?

37. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I blame a lot of the OLine issues on Sparano and Deguglielmo... they had no idea how to effectively evaluate and develop the players we have had in since 08. Several, like Samson Satale and Donald Thomas, are having good careers elsewhere.

MrClean likes this.
  38. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Cutting Donald Thomas was one of the dumbest decisions I've seen this franchise make, which is saying a lot because we've made a lot of dumb decisions. He was only going into his 3rd season, a 6th round pick so his salary was basically nothing, and he'd just helped pave the way for a top 5 rushing attack, the one time in 6 years that we've had a good offensive line. His reward? His release. As if we couldn't have at the very least kept him as a good backup.

39. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Why exactly is this a reasonable measure of success? He's put together OLs better than many SB winners'.

40. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Sebastian Vollmer signed a 4 year incentive laden contract worth 17 mil. Nowhere near 7 mil a year, 7 mil was his signing bonus.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5313/sebastian-vollmer

The FO could easily have of made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Not prioritizing Vollmer this offseason is the biggest mistake Ireland made. Vollmer can play both sides and would have been perfect for us to play LT for a year or two until Martin or another draft pick was truly ready; then he could finish his contract on the right side if necessary.