1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins know it's time to make room for Chad Henne

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Mar 24, 2009.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Chad Pennington still has the starting job, but the Dolphins know it's almost time to pin their future on Chad Henne.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/964467.html

Miami Dolphins likely to make deals for more picks
    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/miami-dolphins/story/962927.html

Pagan, PMZQ, Drowning and 4 others like this.
  2. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Everyone knew this was coming, even before they let it out that he would have started last year if Penny hadn't fallen into our lap. Can't wait to watch him air it out.:up:

3. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    The "unnamed source" is talking about getting ready for him to play in preseason!!! The "unnamed source" says "we all know Pennington doesn't need to play 12 quarters to get ready for the season".

I'm not sure, other then the writer trying to drum up a story during a time when there are few stories to be had, that there is any reason to believe that Chad Henne is "penciled in" to start 2010. I know their are a lot of people who want to see him play, me being one of them, but IMO if Pennington is here and healthy and playing like he has there is no way in the world Henne will start over Pennington. Just not gonna happen. Now I may feel differently if we were 4-8 or something like that. But as long as we have a legitimate possibility of winning Pennington is the starter.............sorry

4. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I don't know about 'penciled in', but Penny won't be here. If he has a good year again, then he probably won't want to stick around and hold the clipboard for Henne. He'll figure he can get a starting gig somewhere else. If he has a poor year or has the injury bug hit him, Henne comes in and they never look back, then he won't want to stay either...

I'd love to have him stay on and mentor Henne his first year as a starter, but that is just a pipe dream more than likely.

This regime likes to have their 'veteran' QB hanging on (Vinny, Bledsoe). But at 34, Penny and coming off a good season, he just may not feel like he's at the same stage as Vinny and Drew were when they assumed that role for the Trio...

djphinfan and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  5. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    This is huge news...if the source is reliable. I love Penny, but if the FO digs Henne, then Im psyched they are so confident in him.
    Posted via Mobile Device

djphinfan and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  6. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I dunno maybe they make Pennington a QB coach next year if he retires? They seem to have a good relationship the FO and Pennington and everyone said he would be a great coach going forward.

So maybe he stays with us for a few years

7. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Knowing Penny doesn't "need" a whole lot of reps in the exhibition season to get going I look forward to seeing ChadII and John picking up the slack. Both will have improved and it will be fun to watch it.

8. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Are you talking about how old Pennington will be, or how old he is now? Currently he is 32 years old. He'll be 33 at the start of the season.

9. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I've made this argument before and I'll make it again. IMO, unless Pennington suffers a career ending injury (knock on wood) there is no way he retires after this season. He's not working his tail off this offseason getting into the best shape he can be so he can retire in one more season. As attractive as some of you think the position of QB coach is, Pennington will play QB as long as his body allows.

mi2cents, Celtkin and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  10. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Penny will be 33, if he has one more big contract in him, then he will be out of here after this season, which sort of is not a good idea.

We know what we have in Pennington, it is generally not a good idea to change a productive Qb for a totally untested one.

Themole likes this.
  11. Tiki

Tiki New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Los Angeles
    If possible, give Penny a one year extention

So that at the end of this season we can trade him and get some picks. Will be difficult because of the 2 different agendas, no doubt. But if they aren't going to work something out, they better be damn sure Henne is ready to take the reins because they are basically making that decision right now.

I think if we can sign Penny to a reasonable multi year contract, as a starter but not stupid money, we will still be able to trade him after this year. As with every season, some team is going to want a vet QB. Maybe a risk however.

12. Tiki

Tiki New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Los Angeles
    You comment is valid, however

We know what we have in Pennington, it is generally not a good idea to change a productive Qb for a totally untested one.[/QUOTE]

We know that they are building this team for the long run and a 33 year old QB with a history of shoulder injuries doesn't fit that picture. Not saying he will get hurt, but those surgeries will take a toll on his shoulder, even if healthy.

Pennington, when he fell into our lap was always a bridge to the future, currently that future is Henne. Yes untested for sure and I agree with that portion of your statement. But IMO what they are doing is building a very stout run first offense, the kind of offense when a young kid won't be asked to do too much in his first season, but the team can still win. Just like what Cowher did with he had to press Ben into service in his rookie year and even his second year. Ben wasn't asked to do too much and it worked because of the run attack and of course their defense. That is what appears to be going on in Miami.

Whether it works or not is a story yet to be told. But I like the approach very much. Because with a stout run game, once Henne does get accustomed to the NFL game, with his arm, we will have a very potent offense.

13. Sam

Sam Member

Nov 30, 2007
    My ideal situation will be for Henne to win the qb job in training camp this year, trade Penny for a high draft pick for next year, and keep JB as the backup. This years schedule should give Henne the best possible experience against a lot of the really good NFL teams...seems like a waste to give Penny that experience.

14. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think in this situation nobody from the FO or coaching staff should be saying anything of the sort, its a situation that will play out, if penny takes us another step forward from last year then he should get extended, if not then start up the henne, quite simple, not sure why our staff would be leaking this info. Maybe tony simply said henne will get more playing time this preseason and the idiot{armando} conjured up his own words to make a story..

This hybrid offense is in year 2 of its developement and penny is well suited to execute it..and as much as iam aware of penny limitations and hennes potential iam not makin that switch until i see degression from an offensive standpoint, we win a playoff game with penny at the helm, then imo henne does'nt see the field again for another year.

sking29 and Drowning like this.
  15. Drowning

Drowning ONCE MORE UNTO THE BREACH

Dec 20, 2007
    I completely agree that this discussion is entirely too premature. Chad Henne is certainly the future quarterback of the Miami Dolphins but if Pennington continues his level of play then that future becomes a distant one for as long as it takes.

djphinfan likes this.
  16. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    To me, there is no point in worrying about this now. Let the season play out and let Pennington do what he can with the team. Then, once the season is over we can figure out exactly what it is we want to do with him. Worrying now is nothing but a distraction for the upcoming season in my opinion.

djphinfan likes this.
  17. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I think they should resign Pennington...that way, if he excels again, we get to keep him. If he bombs in his second season, we could always cut him.

18. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Mort on NFL live was just saying he talked with Sparano about Henne vs. Pennington. Tony said that Penny is going into the season as the starter, but Henne will get alot of time during the preseason for the coaches to see. As for when he would come in, Tony was a bit more vauge, but seems like 2010 is the current goal.
    He made a reference to yanking Bledsoe (with the Boys) at 3-3 and putting in Romo, and made a comment like "we will know when its time," so if Chad struggles early on, dont be surprised to see Henne coming in during the season. Will be interesting to watch.

19. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That brings up an interesting point, if Henne looks great in Camp, would we trade Pennington before the season started when his value is the highest?

MN is still looking for a Qb, IMO the Redskins are as well, and Pennington does not have a monster contract..

20. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    My question is why do you undermine your current starting QB like this? It certainly can't be a good thing for Pennington to have his head coach talking about him like this and giving him the shaft. Yes I know Pennington knows that he is supposed to be the temporary guy but I am sure he would prefer to get a vote of confidence after all he did last year. Even if Sparano does want Henne to start as soon as possible the smart thing to do would have been to just say "we'll wait and see" and then just smile and walk off. I just don't get how saying this can be a positive thing unless Pennington goes out there playing for another contract but still I think it does more harm than good. I think Pennington has earned more respect than this.

*Of course this is all contingent on Sparano or another actual Dolphin staff member saying this.

21. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I disagree with that. Its not a bad thing to let your players know they are not indispendible. If Chad struggles he should know that he has to work hard to get his head back in the game and his *** in gear, rather than just saying "eh not like anyones gonna take my job." A little pressure and competition is not a bad thing. Its not like they are salivating waiting for Chad to make a single error before yanking him. It would take a number of really pretty poor games for that to happen, after which I think I as a fan would be happy to see another player get a shot. If your not able to get it done, I want someone who can.

22. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Last year was only the second time Penny played a 16 game season in his career. I think we're going to see more of Henne than just in the preseason.

23. Maximus Finimus

Maximus Finimus New Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Pennington is a good QB, a better version of Jay Fiedler if you will, but he is not the answer for this team when this team is really ready to contest to win it all.

He is merely keeping the seat warm, and keeping this team competitive, until Henne, or somebody else, finally arrives as the true successor to Marino in Miami.

Pennington's weak arm has to many limitations in an NFL now geared (too include the tighter rules on DB's) for the passing game. The passing records that have fallen in recent history are clear indicator of this.