1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins Meet With Baker Mayfield @ Senior Bowl

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by shamegame13, Jan 26, 2018.

1. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
  2. Carmen Cygni

Carmen Cygni Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    I'm going stingy here. I'm most certainly going to trust a great NFL offensive mind and head coach who coached Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Andrew Luck, Carson Palmer, and has either played QB himself since the age of 8 or has coached offense the rest of his life over any data given. Passer rating and statistics are unable to measure such intangibles.

3. Carmen Cygni

Dec 30, 2017
    For instance and example, you would also have to know, that although the new OC or HC is bringing their own system, whether or not that system is actual new to the offense or QB and just a vocabulary difference, as opposed to being a completely different system featuring reads and options that the offense or QB has never been quite familiar with.

4. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    OK, but if passer rating isn’t capturing these intangibles, let’s not argue the observed bump in Tannehill’s passer rating was due to these intangibles.

5. Carmen Cygni

Dec 30, 2017
    Why not? We know the situation, and we know that is was a completely different system from the previous regime. With this situation we can apply logic with the information given via the football world of coaching.

6. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Dude.. you can’t on one hand argue the stats aren’t capturing something then turn around and say they do when it suits you.

Point is.. the stats suggest you’re overestimating the influence of these “intangibles”. Yes, you can create a story around any data, but the story you’re suggesting just isn’t consistent with whatever passer rating is measuring.

7. Carmen Cygni

Dec 30, 2017
    It would take far too much time and resources to explain and post hundreds of snaps on a forum, but if we were sit together in a film room I could show you the progression of the offense thru the development of simple route concepts to more complex option routes and concepts by comparing them vs similar coverages from earlier on.

You can't capture such situations thru statistics; this is where they fail to tell the story.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  8. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Not saying you’re wrong but I’ll go based on the evidence actually presented.

9. Carmen Cygni

Dec 30, 2017
    Fair enough. I'm going with experience and actual knowledge of the game.