1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins need to stay clear of Brett Favre

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by brandon27, Jul 4, 2008.

1. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Im a bit surprised that we havent seen any of these JT to Green Bay for Favre threads on here yet... but then again I shoudlnt be knowing the quality of our members here. However i found this tonight just browsing the net... and I coudlnt agree with it more.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Dolphins-need-to-stay-clear-of-Brett-Favre;_ylt=Ao6ncKBOxM4urbs_ihx1nJN0fgM6?urn=nfl,92020

Agree? Disagree? Lets hear from you...

2. felly smarts

felly smarts New Member

Jun 24, 2008
    At 38 Farve is 100 times better than any thing we've had since Marino. And yes I mean Beck, Henne and McClown included. That's right...I said it. The three QBs we have now do not impress me at all.

3. Colorado Dolfan

Colorado Dolfan ...dirty drownin' man?

Concur.

But one year of Favre isn't gonna do anything for this franchise in the future.

Pass.

4. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Thats exactly the point. Sure he's better than anything we have, but what good does it do the franchise to go out and get him. Absolutely none.

5. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

Favre?NO THANkS...I'll take what we have any day over that stat hound!!!

6. felly smarts

felly smarts New Member

Jun 24, 2008
    It would give us another year to either find a QB or groom one we have.

7. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    That is exactly why McCown is here.

PMZQ likes this.
  8. felly smarts

felly smarts New Member

Jun 24, 2008
    At leaste Brett would give us a chance to win. McClown sucks. Always has.

9. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Hey now, that's no way to talk about my boy Josh, don't make me get out the switch and redden some behind. :angry::lol:

PMZQ likes this.
  10. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

Personally, I'd prefer to stick with what we have and take a pass on Favre. Sure, he's a better QB than anyone we have on our roster and has more knowledge of the game than all of them combined. But we need to move forward and let this team learn and grow together. We're very young, we have some talent and we have potential in the 3 QBs on the roster. And all three of them are YOUNG. If we were to get Favre, I wouldn't stomp my feet in protest (he could really help our young QBs out a lot), but I wouldn't be all that excited either. Favre could potentially give us a few extra wins. BUT, when he retires after only one or two more seasons, it would cause us to take another step back. I say let us build it ourselves, and let the players we have now, and the players we bring in in the future grow together and step it up together and become a TEAM together. We are one of the youngest teams in the league. We're going to have growing pains. We need to let them have those growing pains and become a stronger team because of it.

Favre would be a nice fixture if we thought it would help us be a contender, but that's not realistic. I want to see our players and our QBs learn to succeed. We will be a better team because of it.

11. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    Our ESPN time would rise 150%

12. felly smarts

felly smarts New Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Don't threaten me with a good time.

And after Beck's debacle last year for 3 games...no wonder they went and got 2 more QBs.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  13. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Of course, it had nothing to do with them not wanting to re-sign Cleo Lemon and cutting Trent Green.

alen1 and Colorado Dolfan like this.
  14. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I think the fallacy in this theory is that IF Favre were traded to Miami, it would not be for JT....JT would block that trade in a heartbeat. First, without Favre, the Packers don't have a shot at getting as far as they did last year with Rodgers. Second, JT wants to go to a contending team with a bigger market....Certainly not Green Bay (apologies to Wisconsin members).

The question about a trade as described in the article is would JT "block" that move somehow (retire, etc), not as much whether the Fins would want to make a move like that....

From my personal view, Favre means less to us than JT does anyways...We need JT more than Favre...

The other wild card in this is would Favre want to come to a rebuilding team, that does not utilize his WCO skills and preference ?? Why would he make this move ?? We aren't going to be taking him to the SB this year and he may not have much more left (despite how 'great' he feels). We aren't going to convert to his familiar WCO just because we got him, not at this late date anyways...

I just don't see this move happening....

15. Marino1983

Marino1983 Junior Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Wow!

So J Beck is cadigoricly responsible for those losses this team accured when he started in his ROOKIE season?:pointlol:

So Favre would be an improvement over what is on the Dolphin roster?:pointlol:

How could you know this considering that we have yet to see ANYone playing in pads?

And you automatically believe that Favre could come in here, learn the offense, and become this teams starter? :pointlol:

Do you realize that Favre has played in basically the same system for 17 years?

And while Favre has been an ironman playing with injuries throughout his career,, that philosophy has caught up to him. The guy is 38 years old (or will be) and neglecting his body in that time will most definitely make him pay for it sooner than later...

I feel that even if Favre wants to comeback, and the Phins could work out a trade using JT (completely doubtful) it is a case of just-say-NO!

Marino1983

16. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Yes, easily. And anyone who doesnt think so is deluding themselves badly.

Im not hating on our QBs, but Favre is a hall of fame legend. Hes older, but hes still got a cannon, and easily would be better THIS YEAR than anyone on roster.

Now is it a good move considering the long term plans that BP/Jeff/Tony seem to have in place? Probably not. We need to see what we have for better or worse. We need to play Beck and/or Henne, not Favre. But to say that he isnt better than our motley crew? Wow.

17. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Before we start backing up the bus, and running our quarterbacks over, we should remember we didn't have the best coaching staff either. They changed the play book depending whether it was Lemon, or Beck in there. I respect eveything that Favre has done in his career, but we need to grow as a team, and learn together, stop these quick fix solutions.:wink2:

alen1 likes this.
  18. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    no that is ok Brett Farve is not coming back so we dont need to worry about it.

19. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

Personally, I want to see Favre come back, the Packers release his rights, and then sign with the Bears. I don't have anything in particular against Green Bay, I just think that would be the ultimate Eff You move.

I don't take the prospect of Favre playing in Miami seriously enough to even entertain it.

20. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Why the hell would BF want to come to Miami? If he comes back he'll go to a contender not us.

21. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Beck doesn't impress you? Saying everything right, throwing over 5,000 footballs this off-season and only throwing 1 interception in 21 practice sessions doesn't impress you? Yeah, I know what your going to say, "its practice. Lets see him do it in a game". Well this is a start and it sure as hell impressed me. I have no doubt Beck can be a good player for us, if given the chance.

There was a article in the Chicago Times (I think that's what they call it up there) about how the Bears would welcome Favre with open arms.

I agree. Hopefully he doesn't come back. I'm tired of him and the media. He has stated that if he was to come back, he wants to play in Carolina. However, Carolina has faith in Delhomme because he has come back better than ever from the surgery and is recovering earlier than expected. They also like his backup QB, Matt Moore.

I still think they would take Favre because it can get them somewhere. I think they make the playoffs this year anyways.

22. lohink

lohink Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Bellwood, PA
    I could see him going to Minisota. BF and Adrian Peterson look out! Then if they decide to get real agresive and trade us for JT, in the NFC I think they walk into the superbowl.

23. Crunkcore

Crunkcore The Crunk One

Jun 17, 2008
    Hopefully Favre stays retired.

24. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Stay away from Favre.

25. Scrap

Scrap Active Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Chester, Va
    Why would Favre want to come out of retirement to play for a 1-15 team with unproven receivers ?

Not a chance.

26. Marino1983

Marino1983 Junior Member

Mar 23, 2008
    And ANYone who actually believes that Favre can play up to the same level that occured last season needs to start back on their medications...

Okay Favre is a legend and yes he still has a cannon but he still tries to force that ball into triple coverage even more so and his inaccuracy is getting worse! Do you really think that he hasn't played through serious injuries and that in doing soo has not caught up to him?
    So please explain how you can make a statement "and easily would be better THIS YEAR than anyone on roster." when you do not have a clue as to how good any of the qb's on the Dolphins roster will play this season?

:pointlol: And AGIAN how do you know how bad or good these guy's will play not to mention how can you automatically state that Favre will play better or is a overall better qb than all 3 qb's currently on the Dolphins roster?
    :no:

Marino1983

27. felly smarts

felly smarts New Member

Jun 24, 2008

First of all I have seen McClown play in pads and he sucks.
    Second of all I have seen Beck play in pads and he sucks.
    Third I thought Henne was a joke in Michigan and LOL when we drafted him.
    Fourth....Did you not see the way Favre played last year? You can honestly sit there and say that he is a worse player than what we have. That my friend is laughable.

It's cool that you are a die hard fan and all but at some point we all have to be a little realistic about things.

Do I want Farve on our team - NO
    Do I think that he could help our team - YES
    Do I think Favre is, at 38, is better than any other QB on our team - YES
    Would it make me mad if Favre was our starting QB next year - NOPE

28. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    :sidelol: :tongue2:

You sure are a proud daddy :up:

29. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    IMO he would rather stay retired then come here and play.

30. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    The medication comment was unnecessary.

Why can't he play at the same level? If he is in GB or a better team, why can't he play at the same level? He set some career highs last year and he is 38 years old. The guy can still play at a high level and I would gladly take him on my team.

He has always thrown the ball into double and triple coverage, even in his early days. He is a gunslinger and has that mentality. You mean his accuracy is getting worse? If so, it's not. Double check it and it will show you that it was the highest of his career.

Favre probably is better than all of our QB's on the roster. He had a career high percentage last year and had a QB rating over ninety for the first time since 2004. The guy can clearly play and age isn't catching up to him as fast as some thought he would. One other note is that they virtually had no running game until the last eight weeks of the season so he carried that offense on his back.

Easy. Favre put up career high numbers last year and we have a QB who has been on several teams in his career (McCown), a guy who hasn't taken a down yet (Henne) and Beck who has played five total games.

31. Marino1983

Marino1983 Junior Member

Mar 23, 2008
    McNown never impressed but could be a caretaker and no one has seen him play in this offense, with this coaching staff.
    Yeah Beck sucks playing behind a sive of an O-Line a rookie wr a washed up veteran wr and a guy that drops more passes than he has caught since drafted.. We won't even bring up the revolving door at rb.. Yeah you're right J Beck just plain sucks..:pity:
    So Henne cannot take the next step into the NFL because of his play in college.. Wow someone should have told T Brady that!
    Yes I did and as I have already stated Favre had a career year but you cannot tell me that playing through injuries as many times as Favre has done hasn't come back to haunt him. And show me my response in having called Favre a worse qb than than any of the qb's on our roster..

Agree!
    NO!
    Disagree!
    I wouldn't be happy.. Just like I wasn't happy with the Feeley trade the Culpepper trade and the T Green trade...

Marino1983

32. Marino1983

Marino1983 Junior Member

Mar 23, 2008
    And the "deluded" comment was?

I thought that we were discussing Favre becoming the Dolphins qb? And I just do not see Favre playing at the same level as last season or even close.. Especially for another team and especially for the Dolphins!

And that is why I doubt that Favre can duplicate last season this year

Look I can agree that if you go by last season stats yes Favre is clearly a better qb then what is on the Dolphins roster this season,,,,, But then those stats are LAST SEASONS!

And you believe that he can duplicate last season this year? LOL If age as you have stated hasn't caught up with Favre then why would he retire? I mean as competative as he has been do you actually believe that IF he felt he could play at a high level that he would retire? Man give me a break..

Which has been exactly my point! No one actually knows how the Dolphins qb situation will unfold.. Most people think in the negative but that doesn't bring any facts to the table...

Marino1983

33. felly smarts

felly smarts New Member

Jun 24, 2008

Not everybody is a Tom Brady. Especially every QB that comes out of
    Michigan.
    Beck hasn't done a thing in the NFL to warrant such a high praise. If and when he does come out and show me that he can be a high level QB on a consistent basis, then I will be the first to say "atta boy". Until then don't ask me to lie to myself about what I saw last in his ability. Maybe this year will be different and he will make me eat my words, and nobody here wants him to do that more than me. I want to see him step up and prove me wrong and be the answer that we have been searching for since the year 2000.

34. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Overall, I think he can play at the same level. As for here, if he has a productive running game, why can't he?

You doubt it because it was highest of his career? Why can't he put up the same number or close to it?
    How else do you look at a player? You can't look in the future. You have to go historically and it shows that he was productive last season. McCown, Henne and Beck have not done anything.

The report came out a couple weeks ago that he retired because he was not wanted and his relationship with teammates/GM was rocky. Why do you think there's talk that he wants to come back to another team?

We don't know how it will unfold, your correct. But your telling me that as of now, Favre isn't likely to play better than any QB's on the roster?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  35. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I have to admit the thought of Favre in a Dolphins uniform is intriguing, but I agree that it really wouldn't advance us towards the future. We need to find out whether Beck or Henne will lead this team and we need to find out this year, not next.