1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins Next Opponent: Saints

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Oct 18, 2009.

1. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    well hopefully it rains like hell for the game. I think we could beaat them straight up in a mud bowl

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    absolutely, make them use their TOP..combined with ours.

They cant stop our power rungame. No peyton manning stuff next sunday.

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Were very good at stopping the run with our base 34, our 3 dlineman all play the run well, pierre thomas does not match up well against us...

We need to take the reigns off the horse {wake} this week and let it run all day. brees is shifty in the pocket and we need that relentless chaser.

eric likes this.
  4. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    well hopefully our coaching staff has a good read on where we are as a team before the game. I figure if our coaching staff feels we're going to lose, then its time to send the Saints a "Welcome to Miami" gift of hookers and cocaine to their hotel rooms on Saturday night

5. Zephyr

Zephyr New Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Scary game

Hola, Saints fan here.

I tell ya what. I was more worried about this game then the Giants. When other teams (Eagles, Jets) lined up in the Wildcat, they would get 6 - 8 yards, and all I could think was, "Damn, the Dolphins are gonna be alot better at doing this."

The Saints D is pretty good, but have not been tested by a heavy run game yet. Vilma's a head hunter, but I'm not sure how the supporting cast will perform. I watched you guys for a bit against the Jets and it was pretty impressive.

Now I am in no way knowledgeable about your team, especially the D. The way the Bills were able to get to Brees and rush throws was pressure up the middle. If Brees is able to step into the pocket, regardless of outside pressure, he can make things quite difficult. From the way you guys are talking about your secondary, if you guys can't pressure up the middle (and without blitzing, Brees will destroy an open midfield) then it may turn ugly.

You guys are pretty right on though; your running game will be your best D. Just don't know how the Saints D will react.

Here's hoping for an injury free game.

Oh, and I like Henne. Looks promising for you guys.

6. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    welcome. congrats on a great season so far. hopefully you guys look ahead to the Falcons the following week and dont pay attention to us :lol:. We can get occasional pressure up the middle but defintiely not consistently. Maybe it will rain. I think this game will come down to us being able to control the clock on offense and playing a heavy zone where we force everything underneath and hopefully line up some hits on your receivers. Bottom line you have a excellent team so we have to play perfect and hope we can get you into some miscues

HULKFish likes this.
  7. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

First of all a BIG Welcome to you Saints fans, happy to see you here.

I have a question/opinion for you? In looking at the Saints first 5 games you guys have surely put a whup *** on the three NFC teams but the two AFCE teams have given you trouble, just what is your thinking on this?

Miami has beaten both of those teams with a solid ground game and I truly think we will give you all you can handle. I look for a very hard fought game and while Brees does scare me you guys just might want to think about just how you will stop Henne to Ginn/Camarillo. IMHO Chad Henne is going to surprise alot of people next Sunday.

May the best team win.:up:

HULKFish likes this.
  8. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    SCARY! Just a plain scary opponent... To have any chance we have to play AT LEAST as physical as we did against the Jests! RUN the ball and pressure Brees; be VERY physical with the receivers and hope we can also stop the run at the same time...

Not too many things to worry about, LOL!

Have a duplicate of the Colts game with a swarming defense that doesn't give up many long plays and we should be ok...

9. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    The Saints are playing as well as anyone in the league right now. I think our running game will be effective, but for us to have any chance of winning, we're going to have to mount a better pass rush than we have heretofore.

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  10. HolySmokes

HolySmokes New Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Hey guys. Really looking forward to the Phins game. I've always liked your team.

I think there's a perception that the Bills and Jets gave us trouble, but in reality I think it's really two things:

1. familiarity (or lack thereof). I think it takes longer to get into your game when you're playing an inter-conference game.

2. The Saints won both games in ways not characteristic of the Saints. You think Saints, you think Brees and laser-passing. You don't think power running and defense. But the Saints showed in both of those matchups that they are truly multi-dimensional and can beat teams in a variety of ways.

That said, I see some real danger in the game with you guys. First, it could be a trap game for us. Second, your wildcat is freaking awesome. And third, the weather.

I like our chances because this is a really mature Saints team with great leadership. Trust me. They respect the Phins and will not take you guys lightly.

11. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    First and foremost, why can't more teams have fans like the Saints?
    You have all come in, showed and shared great knowledge, kept it respectable and you have all earned a great deal of respect with me and I am sure everybody in here.

That being said, I think its pretty open knowledge, we are Joe Lewis in this fight and the Saints are Muhammed Ali.
    If we can own the clock, and we have a good chance of that, and keep the home runs off the board, we stand a decent chance. We can indeed get some pressure on the QB at times. We are very good against the run, and we have 1 good veteran CB (Although he has struggled this year) 1 very promising Rookie in Sean Smith and the verdict is still out on Vontae Davis. He has been brilliant at times....just not all the time.
    We have been very very predictable in regards to our pass rush (I can't stand the phrase Vanilla-equal to fingernails on a chalk board or the very non-sensicle phrase KUDOS :pity) but that's what it is. A voice in the back of my head thinks that might start changing this week.
    If we don't control the clock, we could be in for a long game

Good luck Saints, and to a good, injury free game :ffic:

dolfan7171 and gafinfan like this.
  12. Pennington's Rocket Arm

Pennington's Rocket Arm New Member

Dec 21, 2008
    hopefully the Saints will take a page from the Bills playbook and put in a terrible tackle to ensure that Wake has a great game.

anlgp likes this.
  13. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Believe it or not, stopping the run is the key to this game for both teams. The Saints work a lot off of playaction. That's how they got most of their TDs yesterday. It's important that we suffocate them every single time they try to run on us.

My keys to victory:

-Stop the run early to tame their playaction and allow a pass rush
    -Control the clock offensively
    -Force a few mistakes on defense
    -Get an early lead and sit on it

If we do those 4 things, we win.

dolfan7171 and gafinfan like this.
  14. gafinfan

Not saying you're wrong but Brees was smothered pretty good from a team that is now 3-3. You guys played great defense and with Sanchize being the turnover king and giving up 14 of those 24 points ..... still.

The key for us imho is to NOT turn the ball over, first and formost - like we did in hotlanta, thus giving you an easy win. Win, you may, but when you leave South Florida, I want you to know you've been in a dog fight and remember that fact if we meet again.:wink2:

15. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I hope we dont see another coldfront, a hot as hell day would be nice.

16. Zephyr

Zephyr New Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Heat & Humidity won't matter

A hot day won't effect the Saints. Remember, we're the "New Orleans" Saints. Training camp was in the heat and humidity (and rain) of New Orleans, so the team is pretty ready for that.

Again, the thing that scares me most is your running game. Everytime the Wildcat is set up against the Saints, teams have had success and you guys are the best at it. I'm sure our D will be practicing against it, but you guys are masters of it.

Also, like I said before, the way to defeat the Saints O is pressure up the middle. Once the Saints adjusted to the Jets D, they were able to move the ball. We could've scored another TD against them, but chose to run the clock out (we're not cheap ***holes like the Pats and score for the hell of it). The Bills were the only D the Saints had true issues with because they prevented Brees from stepping up and they played a good mix of zone & man. The Giants, for whatever reason, kept playing zone, which Brees was able to destroy.

It's true that yesterday the Saints were feasting off of the PA and that's because our run game has definitely kicked it up a notch this year. It's been said that in the past, our o-line only worked on running plays 20% of the time, but this year has been quite different. While Brees is a massive part of our O, the o-line has to start getting credit. They are playing lights out and that's without our Pro Bowl left tackle.

We can kill clock with long drives (our first drive yesterday took half the quarter), but if the Giants play pansy D like they were yesterday, why not go for the long drives.

I am really excited to watch this game and I'm sure the Wildcat will send me into fits throughout the game, especially if our LB Fujita is still injured and we have to stick with Troy Evans (special teams guy that should NEVER play D). I don't predict games and I'm not going to start now. I don't believe that this Saints team is susceptible to trap games this year with their philosophy, so if you guys pull out the victory, it's because you played the better game.

Here's to no injuries.

17. HolySmokes

HolySmokes New Member

Oct 19, 2009
    True. The Jets came in with a very good defensive game plan and their pass rush and coverage were fantastic most of the game. Keep in mind, they were 3-0 when we played them and were the toast of the town, so to speak.

That said, every game is about match-ups. I can't say much about why the Jets have struggled since playing us. I think we exposed some weaknesses that teams are taking advantage of now.

My main point however, is that even though Brees and the passing offense struggled, we picked it up in rushing and in defense. That's been the M/O all season.

Here are a few facts you guys may or may not know about the Saints so far this season:

*they've won every game by at least 2 touchdowns (even the ones they "struggled" in)
    *They've scored on every opening drive
    *have not trailed once this season
    *currently have a +9 turnover ratio
    *the defense is limiting offenses on 3rd downs to around 30% (not sure of the exact number - too lazy to look it up :)
    *the offense is converting on 3rd downs at around 50%

Don't misunderstand. I'm not saying this to trash talk or chest thump. Just sharing some things you guys might not know since you probably haven't watched us much.

Anyway, I think you guys will play us a real good game and have a legitimate shot at an upset. Again, fans can smack talk all they want, but I guarantee you the Saints are not looking past the Phins. You've got respect where it really counts.

18. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Glad you joined us Holy Smokes!

Yea, my eyes saw what you did to the Giants.. you are very good at all the spots where we are bad, we will have to play the game of our lives.

19. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Those are very key stats, and shows some of the reason you guys are doing so well.
    50% on 3rd down is NOT a good stat from our standpoint. I imagine that is something we need to cut in half if we stand a chance.
    Once again, time of posession is something we did well athe last 2/3rds of last year, and again very well this year.
    We HAVE to keep Mr Brees off the field.

20. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'd say these are the ones we have the best chance of going against the grain on (unless we get the ball first or if Henne plays like I think he is due to).

I also expect this to be Henne's worst game though. Like 2 INTs bad, and maybe no TDs.

21. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    so.. if we win the toss, do we defer again? what would it mean if we didn't?

22. Thunderbolt89

Thunderbolt89 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Well there are benefits to both,if we win the coin toss and decide to defer it would be good to have the ball first to start the second half,but if we decide to take the ball first we have a chance to score first and have the momentum first. In my opinion this game will be a high scoring game so I think I would probably want the ball first after half time.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  23. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I would still defer (Saints took the ball against the Giants).

If we didn't defer, it just means we probably think it is very important to get confidence in our offense early and put some pressure on their D for once.

dolfan7171 and cnc66 like this.
  24. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I believe Miami leads the league right now in 3rd down conversions. They are around 55% or so I think. This has a lot to do with their running game. They are the best rushing attack New Orleans has seen this season probably by a large margin. It will be interesting to see how this goes down. No team's practice squad can simulate Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams in the wildcat and I think that's one of the reasons it has continued to be effective despite teams having seen it for a while and being able to prep for it.

gafinfan, dolfan7171 and cnc66 like this.
  25. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    High scoring, maybe. Depends on what you consider high scoring. 50 combined points? I can see it.

Not sure I see it being close though. It could be for sure, but I'm not sure at all at this point.

26. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    We have a better rushing attack than the Giants, but not unequivocally so IMO. Sure we may be #1, but the Giants aren't too far behind. The issue the NYG had was they got behind so early they couldn't keep running th ball as much as they'd like.

cnc66 likes this.
  27. Superdome

Superdome New Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Rushing (YPG) Complete List
    1. Miami Dolphins 183.5
    2. New Orleans Saints 166.2
    3. Dallas Cowboys 163.8
    4. Denver Broncos 148.0
    5. Baltimore Ravens 146

Lack of a running game compared to you guys, but still pretty good...

See y'all Sunday...let's hope for a good game with no injuries.

28. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I didn't see the Giants blitz all that much against the Saints. I don't know if the line was just that good or they didn't decide to blitz. I do know that we need Cameron Wake and Co. to get after Brees if we are to have a chance.

29. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Yup, Bell and Thomas have been running hard all year when they get the chance. The passing game helps open up the run, but don't knock their OLs ability.

Jahri Evans is awesome, and Nicks has been pretty damn good at RB from the LG spot from what I have seen.

30. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Highs in the uppers 80's. Game is at 4pm. It will be a cool 75 at kickoff. Not a factor for either team. LINK

Someone please find Ray Finkle. Drew Brees needs to disappear for a few days.

Hobiesailor and SICK like this.
  31. HolySmokes

HolySmokes New Member

Oct 19, 2009

Thanks, bro. I appreciate it. :)

32. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Good point, I just thought "they're a dome team, the heat should be a factor"

33. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    saintsreport.com is a great site to visit. Very cool members there.:up:

34. just dave

just dave New Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Saints fan here and just dropped in to say "hey" and wish for a good and injury free game on both sides of the ball (of course I wish for it to be a little better on our side.) I have to say that in some ways I fear the 'Phins more 'n the Giants and it's not because I think they are better (we'll know who's who at the end of the season), it's because they are unconventional in terms of the Wildcat. There is no secret in how to stop it like there is no secret in stopping the Saints O or any team for that matter. Every coach knows what they need to do in order to win, it's the actual doing it that poses the problem. I kinda wish we had the bye before y'all but the Giants game was more important to us because it was a conference game and could mean more if we make the post season. I saw the Colts game and marveled at how a team could "win" the game and it not reflect in the score. It also planted the seed of "**** we have to play them." in my mind. I also saw the Jets game with Henne and watched him air it out and I thought "That's not good" for us. I'll loiter for the week and respect your "home" as I respect your team ( I respect all teams. Asks the Eagles fans what happens when you don't) and wish you and your team the best of luck starting Oct. the 26th.

35. gafinfan

Throwing stats out the window and just watching these two teams play, we are meeting at a time when both are hot and it should tell us both where we really stand. I will say this, in all honesty, if your team beats ours I'll put my money on seeing the Saints in 2010 at the SB in Miami. I honestly feel we are the most underated 2-3 team you will play. Hoping we have a great game and may the best team win.

just dave likes this.
  36. just dave

just dave New Member

Oct 13, 2009
    I agree. Stats are like LEGOS, you can darn near make anything with them and they only tell you what has been done.

gafinfan likes this.
  37. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    If we play the exact same game as we did against Indy but punch it in instead of Field Goals, we can do this.

Unfortunately unless our defense turns around miraculously I think that's the only way we win. And also unfortunately NO has a pretty good Run defense as well. Damn.

I'm scared. Hold me.

Agua and gafinfan like this.
  38. gafinfan

Its ok brother, I got you covered!:up::wink2:

I'm bettin that the NO fan is saying the same about us. Damn just look at that throw from Henne to Ginn and oh lord they are great in run defense.

Just saying the glass isn't always half empty, sometimes its half full! This is the type of game I hunger for; we will see just how good we really are. You can't build a house without knowing how solid the foundation is and Sunday we will know by 7:00 PM win lose or draw!!:up:

jdang307 likes this.
  39. HolySmokes

HolySmokes New Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Honestly, this game could go either way. I'll tell you why. Obviously I think the Saints are the better team.

But it's also about match-ups and determination. Sure talent and execution are important. But there are intangibles at play that can create upsets.

Intangibles like pride, fierceness, belief in yourself, and focus.

What little I've seen, your Dolphins are all that.

If you guys pull out the win, it'll be because you earned it.

gafinfan likes this.
  40. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Hey it seems the Jets and Bills defenses played you guys the toughest so far of all the opponents. I know you were able to run all day on them but what did those two teams do to keep you guys in the 20s. I know the Jets blitzed you alot. Were they blitzing up the middle mostly? Did they play five DBs? I didnt see the Bills game so I'm kind of curious