1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins & NFL salaries by team, unit, and position

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan32323, Jan 30, 2013.

1. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Unlucky 13, RevRick, VManis and 6 others like this.
  2. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Fantastic info graphic.

Clicking on different teams you can see the patterns of success. When you tap on successful teams, by and large, they have the same size and pattern of circles (template for asset allocation between positions). In other words success looks like DE's paid more than DTs, CBs and LBs about the same amount of the cap, and Safeties slightly less.

On offense it looks like the center paid least, then guards, then tackles, but not too huge a disparity. The WRs should be bigger (paid more) and the TE a bit less than WR but equal or a bit more than the RBs. qB varies.

Comparing the Dolphins to other templates, we look stuck in a Parcells mold of paying mainly for DTs and LBs to stuff the run, and on offense of underpaying at WR.

Those are certainly true... Our secondary is our weakness, and our pass rush DEs are not as good or paid as much of the cap as most playoff teams. On offense our WRs and TEs have not been our strength.

Love info graphics like that because you can quickly look very deep into how different teams have been put together. I hope this offseason changes our 'look' significantly.

Why the heck are we the fourth highest paid special teams? Who's the expensive dude on STs?

3. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

The Colts spent no money on offense yet did well.

4. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Because they drafted young. Luck, Hilton, Allen, and Fleener are the current and future core of the roster. Wayne being the exception. Donnie Avery to a lesser degree, because he came cheap and over produced. In 4 years, these core guys are all getting paid. And whatever offensive additions they add in the future (WR to replace Wayne) will also get paid at some point.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  5. frozenfin

frozenfin Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Expensive ST guys Fields, Carpenter, and Denney?

6. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Very cool.

Rex really loves his LBers and CBs.

7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    We are stuck in the Parcells mold, that's what some of us have been trying to say. Ireland followed a blueprint. This past off season the blueprint finally changed and that's why we allowed contracts to be up instead of extending them before this point. Its also why we are going to have (and have had) so much turnover. Ireland had to follow an outmoded blueprint. That blueprint has historically not valued WRs, amazing QBs, seem busting TEs, or athletic lines. Instead Parcells wanted things like possession WRs (Keyshawn, Hartline) & solid but unspectacular caretaker QBs (Simms, Penny), all purpose TEs (Bavaro, Fasano) and giant immovable objects on the line (The Giants, Long).

8. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    We did have a pretty damn good special teams this year. They scored 3 TDs and I think we're one of the better punting units in football.

9. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    That's an interesting graph.

10. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    If you look at most fo the better teams in the league, they have $35-50 million in cap space devoted to their passing game skill position players. Currently undder contract for the Dolphins are really only Tannehill and Bess, who combined take up only about $5-6 million in cap space. So there is plenty of opportunity to load up on receiving targets in FA and, because WRs often take time to develop, that may be the best way to do it. Even paying top dollar, Wallace could be signed to a 5 yr., $50 million contract with $20 million in signing bonus and annual salaries of 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 million, which would give him a cap hit of $6 million for 2013. Jennings could probably be had for something like 4 yrs, $32 million with $14 million in signing bonus and annual salaries of $2, 4, 6, 6 million, which would give him a cap hit of $5.5 million for 2013. A first round TE would get a deal that should have a cap hit of around $2 million, much like Tannehill's last year.You could probably even get Hartline in there on a 4 yr., $26 million deal with a signing bonus of $12 million and annual salaries of 1, 3, 4 and 6, which would have a cap hit of $4M for 2013. All of that would still have a cap hit of only around $25M for next year. The salaries would get dicey down the road when Tannehill gets a real starting QB contract and these salaries start to escalate, so it would be better to structure them a little differently. the truth is, that long term contracts are often not expected to play out for their full term on the original terms anyhow. I don't particularly like any of the TEs where we pick in the first, so it may be better to go with a vet there.

11. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    This will not sit well wit the "Irish can't draft wrs or te's" crowd.

Fin D likes this.
  12. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    If Wallace wants 10 Millie I hope he gets it, elsewhere. He's not a complete player, best used as a decoy IMO. I'd rather pay Bowe 6-8 Millie and go after a couple guys in the draft. Bowe-Keenan Allen- Bess- Q Patton- Binns- Matthews would be plenty good enough IMO.

13. Fineas

Jan 5, 2008
    I suspect Wallace will be looking for a contract like Desean Jackson's, which is about $10 million per year. If structured the way I propose, it would have a cap hit of only about $6 million in the first year and $8M in the second. That's a fair price for him. The last 2 years probably won't happen unless he has shown to be a dominant receiver. I don't buy the notion that he is not a complete WR or that he is best used as a decoy. I would much prefer his 2010 and 2011 production to any decoy value. I don't think he is a finished product, but I think he can continue to develop and his speed is special. I'm OK with Bowe as a player, but many around here insist he is just a POS who will shut down once he gets paid. I don't know if that is true or not. As for the draft, I like Keenan Allen, but I don't know if he'll be special and even if he is it will probably take a few years. I like Robert Woods about as much as Allen and think Woods should be available in the 2nd. I'd like to keep the first round pick available for the BPA and not have to force a receiver into that slot.

14. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Not to hijack the thread, but when you go through each team's WR corp, it's hard to see what WR across the league are being paid and think Hartline deserves $5-6 million.

Fin D likes this.
  15. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Agree with you on Wallace. Don't agree with you on Bowe. I'd be shocked if they gave a player like Bowe any significant money. Jennings is really the only one of the big 3 FA WRs that I can see Miami being interested in.

Fin D likes this.
  16. Fineas

Jan 5, 2008
    When people talk about $5-6 million, they are generally talking about the average salary over the course of the contract. they way contracts are structured, however, a lot of guys who may be making $7+ million as a yearly average may only show up on the chart as having a $2-3 million cap hit. For example, Colston's deal averages $7+ million per year but his cap hit was just $3.3 million. Desean Jackson's deal averages around $10 million per season but his cap hit on that chart is $3 million.