1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins' Parcells will give his coaches room

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Jul 22, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    http://www.miamiherald.com/616/story/613073.html

Good read

Crunkcore and alen1 like this.
  2. bkbuffet

bkbuffet Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Here's another one along the same lines.

www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080722/SPORTS/807220326/1002/SPORTS

Crunkcore and alen1 like this.
  3. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    i wouldnt expect any different. as a coach, Parcells was always preaching about how hard it is to do your job as a head coach when you have someone meddling from above you.

4. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Good. I'm tired of hearing about Parcells. I trust Parcells placed the right people in the jobs. Now let Ireland and Sparano do their jobs.

5. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

i don't really think he wants that responsibility any more. he has stated that he sees himself more as mentor at this point, allowing Ireland and Sparano to bounce things off of him. i'm sure that during the weeks prep, he will have a thing or two to add now and then, but i really don't think he has that coaches conviction any more.

alen1 likes this.
  6. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Good read, but i'm sure he'll give Sparano advice every now and then

7. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    That never was a serious concern with Parcells. On game days with the Jets, he kept out of sight and quiet as a mouse, he wanted people to know that Al Groh ran the show on the game days.

The problem is that game days are 1 day out of 7, 16 weeks out of 52. The rest of the time, Parcells by all means appears to have his hands all over the team. He's in the war room on draft day making calls the same as Jeff Ireland. Ireland admitted in an interview that Parcells has to give the say on certain decisions in the organization. The players consistently talk about having spoken with Parcells about this or that. The players also consistently and openly defer to Parcells as their ultimate boss, and hardly mention Sparano or Ireland. When Vinny Cerrato calls Miami to trade for Jason Taylor...who did he talk to? Bill Parcells.

Eventually, this can bite you in the rear. The team KNOWS that Parcells is ultimately in charge...but on game day, he's nowhere to be found. On game day, it's all Tony Sparano. So what's the problem? Well, it's impossible to lose football games Monday (since we have no MNF games this year) through Saturday (with the exception of Thursday night games late in the year, beside the point). It's impossible to lose football games February through July.

The situation is set up to where Parcells can easily get ALL of the player credit for things that go right...and NONE of the player blame for things that go wrong. All of the things that have been going right so far, be honest how many times have you seen the players attribute those positive things to Jeff Ireland or Tony Sparano? How many times have you seen the press do the same? They all talk about Bill Parcells. But, when things go wrong...is Parcells going to be the one that takes the blame? I'm not so sure. Parcells has been practically deified, by the media and by the players. The logical conclusion, given the Tuna's mystique and reputation, is that when things go wrong...it's because the Tuna wasn't handling those things. When things go right in July, look at the way Parcells has this organization wound up! When things go wrong in September, what is this Sparano guy doing? Parcells wouldn't have coached the game like that. We'd have won the game if he had the headset on.

That's the problem I see with this situation, it's the problem I feared when Bill Parcells took over, and we'll just have to see how it plays out.

sgtphin likes this.
  8. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Yeah but it was him who engineered and handled the JT trade, not Ireland.

I don't think he'll interfere on Sundays though. however, come Monday, I'm sure they'll hear his thoughts :lol:

padre31 likes this.
  9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    To be sure, I'm certain that there will be a large Tuna sitting in a chair during film reviews of the games...:lol:

Sparano is a rookie HC, I'm glad he has Parcells around, but CK is right, if Parcells and Sparano are not on the same page, the players will be not know how to react or maybe say "yeah whatever" if they get mixed messages.