1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins Pass On SB Coaches In '07

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by anlgp, Jan 30, 2009.

1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/other/sfl-flsptomlin30sbjan30,0,4822441.story

We... said... no... to... Tomlin...

WHY?! :(

:omg:

:depressionhurtseverywhereandeveryone:

edit:

I think Sparano is a great and wonderful coach but.. damn. cam cameron > tomlin just doesn't make sense to me.

2. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    Don't look upon this as a mistake, Tomlin is coaching a team that was already stacked with talent. Had he come here, would he have been that successful? Cam sucked, but his CF of a season got us to where we are now. And he sure looked like a hot prospect at the time we acquired him. :pity:

SICK and Colorado Dolfan like this.
  3. anlgp

There's still some bitter feelings for me left over from 1-15. I don't forget too easily.

Sure we were 11-5 this year and this staff did some great things.

But that other staff.... :tantrum:

opfinistic likes this.
  4. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Is history. My bitterness has been tempered from our 11-5 season with a Division Title as the icing. Add to the mix that no other Divisional team made the playoffs and I'm quite happy.

anlgp likes this.
  5. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I'll admit, I was happy with the Cameron selection. Nobody can argue with the results he has had as an offensive coordinator and I think many of us thought that would translate into at least some degree of head coaching success.

6. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    I thought he was a brilliant choice for HC. :pity:

Never trust a 4 year old's judgment.

7. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    i dont mind passing on either since we do have a solid HC right now and things are looking good. Plus no way Omar Epps would have went to miami, he was going to be the Steelers HC no doubt about it

8. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    We should all know by now that Wayne got the biggest name available. Jimmy? Yes. Saban? Yes. (Then Wayne lets Jimmy name Wannstache HC)And Pete Carroll wasn't coming back to the NFL so Wayne grabs Cameron.

We have Sparano now anyway. It all worked itself out.

ATVZ400 and opfinistic like this.
  9. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    You can't fault him for trying to re-energize the fanbase. I don't understand why he broke the pattern last year and found that unknown Parcells character.

Colorado Dolfan and HardKoreXXX like this.
  10. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    The coaching search that year was a complete toss up in reality.
    All were impressive coordinators but there was really no signs to how they'd handle a HC stint. I've never thought the hiring of Cameron was one of those numbskulled mistakes that should have been avoided. It was a pick that simply just didn't work out.

In the end it was a blessing in disguise because we neede more than just a coach. We needed an entirely new FO and especially a good GM which we got in Parcells, Ireland and Sporano.

Besides, who can tell how great a coach Tomlin is at all anyway at this point.
    The Steelers were stacked with talent from day 1 of his arrival.
    Let the Steelers team go through some serious adversity and we'll see how he does then.

11. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    1. 1-15 landed us Parcells.

2. It is apparent that Tomlin is an excellent coach. He's got great talent to work with, but so did the Cowboys. Tomlin might have gotten us to 4-12 or 5-11 last year. Who knows.

3. I'll take Sparano/Ireland/Parcells over Tomlin/any personnel guy every day of the week.

12. Caps

Caps Movimiento Juvenil

Mar 23, 2008
    I hated the Cameron hire from the jump, but it was worth it to land the triumvirate.

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  13. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I was excited to finally have a good OC as the new coach when we hired Cam. He is impressive as a OC. Just didn't work out as a head coach. I think he was too soft. I like what we have now.

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  14. Vampire Baby

Vampire Baby New Member

May 5, 2008
    I think sometimes you blokes hammer away at Cam a little more than needed. He wasn't a great HC we know but some just look for one scapegoat in the 1-15 mess. In reality the team lost 6 games by three points or less, had a mugful of injuries, and just a bunch of bloody dumb bad luck.

Give it a rest on the Cam ruined my life spiel please.....

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  15. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    You forgot to mention poor coaching. How many close games did we win this year, how far above their level did this squad play? How many times they give it all for a full 60 minutes? A good coach, IMO, would have done one of two things last year, he would have motivated the players to make a stand and win, or he would have made sure the right calls were made on the field to win.

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  16. anlgp

games shouldn't come down to 3 points. i understand that sometimes they do; but they shouldn't. your team should have a big enough can of whoop *** in them to either a)stop the team they're facing from scoring three more points and b)maybe score enough points so that 3 points isn't an issue. or failing that your kicker should be put in a spot where he can make three points and then make them.

coaches are scapgoated too often. if he can coach a team to win a game on a slant route from a no name wide receiver (even this year karl paymah was saying he didn't know who he was) against a stout ravens defense you need to be able to win those close three point games.

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  17. Vampire Baby

Vampire Baby New Member

May 5, 2008

Come on mate I never said it wasn't poor coaching. I would have loved to have seen a FG attempt in Pittsburgh. Not kicking the 54 yarder in Houston was a bad move as well and I could name many others but the players on this team last year were abysmal. We had no depth on DL, a fat NT that couldn't move, no running back after Ronnie, no QB, OL was patchwork, secondary that was rubbish.

This team was riddled with injuries and had no depth whatsoever. Cam had to field scrubs. He deserves his share of the blame but there were many variables involved in the 1-15 mess.

opfinistic likes this.
  18. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Gotcha, thought you were apologizing for the man. Yes, Cam didn't show up alone on Sundays and there is plenty of blame to go around. But I still think a seasoned (or just plain better) coach would have won some of those close ones. We took 'em this year, in fact it seemed like every win (almost) came down to the final two minutes.

19. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Give Sparano the talent of either one of those teams... and I'll see you in the Super Bowl...

20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Credit to KB, Mike Tomlin was wanted by Wayne Huzienga I believe. I can't recall what happened for him to not get hired here but Tomlin was wanted and was going to get the job.