1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins picked as one of six teams with the best chance to beat the Patriots

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dorfdad, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    NFL Network had a round table discussion about who could possible dethrone the Pats in the AFC. Miami Was listed as the number 5 choice which surprised me. The other teams listed were: Steelers, New York Giants, Atlanta Falcons, Oakland Raiders, Seattle Seahawks

A bit of the article :

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ams-with-the-best-chance-to-beat-the-patriots

(5:15 seconds into the video they discuss the Dolphins chances)

Why they can do it: Once in a great while, there is an AFC East opponent capable of consistently troubling the Patriots. The Jets during Rex Ryan's zenith were one of those teams. The Adam Gase-led Dolphins could be another. Miami did not shy away from its veteran-laden roster this offseason, doubling down on its hope to become an intimidating, smash-mouth unit. In a lot of ways, the Dolphins are built like the Jets early in the Ryan era, with stars at wide receiver and running back and studs at linebacker and defensive tackle. The one missing component, of course, is stability across the secondary. Byron Maxwell showed an ability to play up to (and above) his potential last year, though Miami would still need an otherworldly performance from Ndamukong Suh, Cameron Wake, Charles Harris and the rest to make this happen.

resnor and danmarino like this.
  2. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    if they can avoid being down a combined 41-17 at halftime, sure

danmarino and KeyFin like this.
  3. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    That's right! If we're only down by 39-17 at halftime, then we're winning that game. =)

We've split with the Pats 3 out of the last 4 years, and it was unfortunate that we faced them in week 2 in 2016 when we didn't have the line figured out. In that game, it was Tannehill putting the world on his shoulders and gunslinging away to have a chance at the tie...but that's just not how our offense operates anymore. I think we have a much more rounded attack that can topple the Pats this season.

Still, if you look at Belichek on the sidelines towards the end of that game....it's one of the few times you'll ever see him scared. He knew he was powerless to stop our offense's onslaught and he was literally saved by the bell.

Of course, the only reason it's tough to sweep the Pats is the "home field" advantage in Gilette. So I don't have a prediction on that aspect- it's tough enough beating the players. Beating their technology, their lip readers, etc. is an entirely different ballgame that nobody in the NFL has been able to overcome.

danmarino likes this.
  4. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Miami has ALWAYS been one of the teams that has been a thorn in the Patriots' side, even when we've lost it's been a close, hard fought game.

In the Tom Brady era, the Patriots have the winning record against the Dolphins, at 22-10 but of those 22 victories against Miami, 7 of those games were won by 7 points or less. Granted, a win is a win but against the juggernaut that is the New England Patriots, if you lose by 7 points or less, it is kind of a moral victory; not every loss to the Patriots has been a double digit blowout as some would have you believe...and keep in mind, these were games led by the illustrious coaching staff of Cameron, Sparano and Philbin...pfft, 8 wasted years there!

Now, as the Miami's victories against the Patriots, 5 of those 10 victories have been by double digits, so the Dolphins do indeed play the Patriots well and hard.

So often, we talk about players...this player, that player, who did what, who didn't do what but as I eluded to another thread, the overlooked player is the head coach. As much as I hate and despise the Patriots, I do indeed give credit where credit is due, Bill Belichick is a phenomenal head coach. It is HE who has made the Patriots what they are. He's won with and without Brady for the last 17 seasons...he's won with an offensive juggernaut and he's won with a defensive juggernaut. He will go down in NFL history as one of the game's greatest head coaches (behind Shula of course! :wink2: )

Now with Gase, the man in his first year as Head Coach really showed me A LOT!!!! I'm extremely impressed with him thus far and if he continues to build on what he started last year and is able to continue elevating the level of play of the team as he did last year, I truly feel the reign of the New England Patriots as perennial AFC East Champions is coming to an end.

Unless something catastrophic happens, I feel we may have finally found the replacement the Miami Dolphins have needed for the last 25 years...not the heir to Marino, but the heir to the great Don Shula!

Dorfdad and resnor like this.
  5. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Oh and just another fun caveat concerning Adam Gase...

Don Shula in his first year with Miami racked up a record of 10-4 with a first round playoff exit.
    Adam Gase in his first year in Miami racked up a record of 10-6 with a first round playoff exit.

Coincidence? Well, only if Gase leads the Dolphins to Super Bowl appearance this season! :wink2:

6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    A lot of it is about whether Burke can match wits..