Dolphins Playoff Paths
355 replies
"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)
More of this would help our chances:
path=%2Fr%2Fmiamidolphins%2Fcomments%2Fre7syc%2F
From the article:
While four of the five teams the Dolphins have beaten in this stretch have records under .500, this is still an impressive feat considering that the Dolphins had such a poor start to the year. In Week 13, the Dolphins capped off a great stretch of disciplined football in a 20-9 victory over the New York Giants where the ‘Phins committed only 3 penalties for 15 yards and had zero turnovers. Their disciplined play in Week 13 helped the Dolphins to be one of our highest risers in the Discipline Index by rising five spots to no. 17 in the rankings. With a tough stretch of games coming up, it is important that Miami continues to play this way in order to continue their ascent to a potential playoff spot. The Dolphins will be idle in Week 14, but they will have a chance to extend their win streak to six games against the New York Jets in Week 15.
Even though 4 of the teams aren’t good, it’s way better than losing any of those games. We also beat the best team in the AFC and another likely playoff team. Regardless of outcomes, I just want to see us finish the season competitively and hopefully a .500 record give or take. And next year a good playoff run.
"mlb1399 wrote:
Even though 4 of the teams aren’t good, it’s way better than losing any of those games. We also beat the best team in the AFC and another likely playoff team. Regardless of outcomes, I just want to see us finish the season competitively and hopefully a .500 record give or take. And next year a good playoff run.
Yeah, at this point, I'll settle for heading into the offseason feeling as if next season can be what I expected this one to be. I can do that if we finish 9-8, regardless of whether we make the tournament.
Okay, regardless of the team or players you may or may not like, here are the following teams we root for today.
Today, we all root for the...
Chiefs over the Raiders; This should be a relatively easy win for Chiefs, playing at Arrowhead Stadium, but we ll know how physical this game can be between these two division rivals.
Ravens over the Browns; The Ravens this season have been like that field horse in a horse race. Quick out of the gate, taking the early lead and seemingly slowly stumbling and falling behind as the race goes on. I think WE had something to do with that stumble, and I'm ok with that but, we definitely need them to show up against the dysfunctional Browns.
Giants over the Chargers; On paper, there's NO WAY the Giants can beat the Chargers but then again, no one ever expected the Giants to stop the Patriots in the Super Bowl...not once but twice. Are these your father's Giants? No, but then again, sometimes the Giants show up when you least expect it.
Detroit over Denver; Like the Giants, the Lions on paper shouldn't win this game either. Detroit though have been close so many times but unable to finish out a game. At 1 win, this team has nothing to play for except...pending free agents who may be looking for the door at season's end.
San Francisco over Cincinnati; This is a game that does intrigue me, hence why I picked the 49ers against the Bengals. The Bengals have been up and down like a kind on a trampoline and I can't figure out who this team really is.
Tampa Bay over Buffalo; I despise Tom Brady and the ground he walks on. GOAT my a$$, Marino is the GOAT but the Bills like the Ravens have been faltering as of late. This is the one time we all need to put our hated for Brady aside and keep beating the Bills down.
Fins up!!!!

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”
"OwesOwn614 wrote:
Yeah, at this point, I'll settle for heading into the offseason feeling as if next season can be what I expected this one to be. I can do that if we finish 9-8, regardless of whether we make the tournament.
I’m expecting 8-9 and am ok with that if our rookies keep on developing. We just dug ourself too deep of a hole to start the season.
I really hope Grier handles our vets better than he did this last off-season. And we have to field a better OL next year. Just have to.
I think the staff and player turnover is more on Flo's shoulders than Grier's. With that being said, Grier has been unable to lure the players needed to achieve a consistent level of success and, more frustrating, when he got some who played well, if not great (Flowers, Van Noy, Lawson), we jettisoned them for worse replacements. He and Coach are too smart for their own good.
"TheHighExhaulted wrote:
Lamar Jackson carted off the field.
As much as I hate the Ravens and root against Jackson, that's not good news for our playoff chances. Well, unless Baltimore loses their last five games, I guess.
"Unlucky 13 wrote:
As much as I hate the Ravens and root against Jackson, that's not good news for our playoff chances. Well, unless Baltimore loses their last five games, I guess.
Packers, Bengals, Rams and Steelers left.
Herbert dinking and dunking his ass of today but he does it in an elite fashion.
"TheHighExhaulted wrote:
Herbert dinking and dunking his *** of today but he does it in an elite fashion.
If a QB has top shelf physical skills as he does, and can also do that when he needs to, he can be almost impossible to defend.
"Unlucky 13 wrote:
If a QB has top shelf physical skills as he does, and can also do that when he needs to, he can be almost impossible to defend.
Of course he completed a 50 yard bomb before the half. Logan Ryan beat deep. Guess he can't cover the deep ball either.
Based on today's results, there is still a path for the Dolphins to be alive for the #7 seed if they lose to Tennessee in Week 17 and head into the final week at 8-8. We wouldn't hold our fate in our own hands heading into Week 18 though, and would need to not only beat the Patriots, but have a few other games go our way too. No huge upsets, at least.
"TheHighExhaulted wrote:
Lamar Jackson carted off the field.
And my fantasy hopes along with him, just one week before the playoffs. I jinxed him.
"Unlucky 13 wrote:
As much as I hate the Ravens and root against Jackson, that's not good news for our playoff chances. Well, unless Baltimore loses their last five games, I guess.
How so? The Browns or Bengals take the division and we have the tie breaker on the Ravens if they lose two more games? I'm counting the Steelers out, but that might be a mistake unless 8-8-1 is enough to win the division. But if it was, we don't have to worry about the Browns or Bengals either.
Still torn on the 49er-Bengals game, but playoffs would be the immediate goal and it's important to hit on your first rounder no matter where you are picking.
Bills are getting smoked by the Bucs and that game might be enough to break their spirit. Another loss to the Pats and then we hope they lose one more.
A terrible play call, terribly executed.
"Deus ex dolphin wrote:
How so? The Browns or Bengals take the division and we have the tie breaker on the Ravens if they lose two more games? I'm counting the Steelers out, but that might be a mistake unless 8-8-1 is enough to win the division. But if it was, we don't have to worry about the Browns or Bengals either.
Still torn on the 49er-Bengals game, but playoffs would be the immediate goal and it's important to hit on your first rounder no matter where you are picking.
Bills are getting smoked by the Bucs and that game might be enough to break their spirit. Another loss to the Pats and then we hope they lose one more.
They have the Panthers, Falcons and Jets at home. You have to hope for one more vintage Newton performance. Atlanta and New York have no shot in Buffalo.
"Deus ex dolphin wrote:
How so? The Browns or Bengals take the division and we have the tie breaker on the Ravens if they lose two more games? I'm counting the Steelers out, but that might be a mistake unless 8-8-1 is enough to win the division. But if it was, we don't have to worry about the Browns or Bengals either.
Still torn on the 49er-Bengals game, but playoffs would be the immediate goal and it's important to hit on your first rounder no matter where you are picking.
Bills are getting smoked by the Bucs and that game might be enough to break their spirit. Another loss to the Pats and then we hope they lose one more.
I just can't see the Bills losing to the Panthers, Falcons or Jets. They win the tiebreaker vs us, so we would have to have more wins than them.
"OwesOwn614 wrote:
And my fantasy hopes along with him, just one week before the playoffs. I jinxed him.
Same here.
Frisco tried to give the game away but pulled it out to help with the Bengals.
Lots of people will tell you what they think about you and what you shouldn't and should do. Not everyone's thoughts are worth consideration. Don't take criticism from anyone who you wouldn't also go to for advice.
And the Bucks are now tanking
Lots of people will tell you what they think about you and what you shouldn't and should do. Not everyone's thoughts are worth consideration. Don't take criticism from anyone who you wouldn't also go to for advice.
Bucks win
Lots of people will tell you what they think about you and what you shouldn't and should do. Not everyone's thoughts are worth consideration. Don't take criticism from anyone who you wouldn't also go to for advice.
Buffalo made a game of it, but have to be reeling. I would have been happy to see Brady lose, but the Bucs win opens up more options for Miami in the playoff chase.
Bengals just don't know how to win close games and I doubt they learn to do so before the end of this season. Which seems to leave the AFC North wide open if Jackson is out for even a couple weeks, or plays hobbled and can't run around like he usually does. Should be interesting.
I'm happy we can focus on playoffs though, and not putting together mock drafts for Miami.
A terrible play call, terribly executed.
I think the Browns start to get healthy and take the North now.
Buffalo could be in disarray but they have a cake schedule.
Miami has to hope Cincinnati and Baltimore take a nose dive. Watching that Bengals game, Burrow is a good quarterback but with all of his injuries he still plays pretty reckless scrambling, he's gotta be careful.
"TheHighExhaulted wrote:
I think the Browns start to get healthy and take the North now.
Buffalo could be in disarray but they have a cake schedule.
Miami has to hope Cincinnati and Baltimore take a nose dive. Watching that Bengals game, Burrow is a good quarterback but with all of his injuries he still plays pretty reckless scrambling, he's gotta be careful.
The Bengals (7-6) have the Broncos, Ravens, Chiefs and Browns remaining. I can see the Bengals losing 3 out of 4 of these games finishing 8-9 or 7-10
The Browns (7-6) have the Raiders, Packers, Steelers and Bengals remaining. I can see the Browns losing 2 of these games finishing the season 9-8.
The Ravens (8-5 & now with Jackson out of the picture for the time being) have the Packers, Bengals, Rams and Steelers remaining. I can see the Ravens losing 2, maybe 3 of these games finishing 10-7 or 9-8.
There’s no doubt about it, our path to the playoffs lies with the AFC North.

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”