1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins' rookie CBs Smith, Davis steadily improving

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Dec 10, 2009.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Thunderbolt89, Colmax and finz810 like this.
  2. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    Well I am sold on Davis, Smith not so much.....yet. Smith needs to work on his tackling among other things, he has looked lost out there the last couple games.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  3. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    There's about 3 of these threads every week. Can we just sticky a "Our Rookie CBs Rule" thread.

4. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I agree. Davis is a player. This guy sticks his nose into everything. I have only seen problems by him on crossing routes, and really, it might be more of a scheme thing than anything. His one-on-ones are pretty solid on the outside. Davis also plays a good role against the run when it's bumped outside.

Smith, IMO, has digressed a little. Looks like his confidence is shot, and even if he has a shot at making a tackle, he does not stick his nose into the play. His solo coverage is pretty good....sometimes. I would not be surprised, though, if Miami either brings in someone next year to compete for that opposite job or sticks with Will Allen. Smith needs time. Davis is here.

Yes, Davis gives up some plays, but the guy is usually there and the WR has to make a great catch in order to keep the drive going. He just needs to learn better body positioning, but his coverage is pretty damned solid, even for a rook.

dolfan7171 and Ronnie Bass like this.
  5. Thunderbolt89

Thunderbolt89 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Great article,thanks for posting. I really like watching our rookie corners play. I really like the way they play and finding two good corners in one draft like that is awesome.I think our team has themselves a great tandem. I just can't wait to see what Clemons brings to the secondary also. We have a pretty good young secondary and if Clemons can add to it in the future it will really be something. The building blocks are seemingly in place.