1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins' rookie D-linemen proving talent trumps experience

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Miami - Pro Football Weekly

The future is now for the young Dolphins defensive line. The manner in which they bottled up New England stands as the latest evidence that the players that were brought in to anchor the defensive line for the future have jumped the learning curve. Spearheading the effort has been DE Kendall Langford, a Hampton product who ranks among the early leaders for defensive rookie of the year.

2. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I was very vocal, and against the drafting of both Langford and Phil Merling as I wanted to see a "Nice" MLB drafted...or even a fairly "Nice" Safety or CB.
    Some of insight (I think primarily Peter Stitches and Travis) helped show me the light.

Very very glad I was NOT doing the drafting for the Phins this year. Both of these kids are absolutely loaded with talent, both appear to be very special type of talent. I think these two bookends are going to really solidify this D-Line for many many years.

GISH, PhinsRock, baboo72 and 4 others like this.
  3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I'm very high on Langford, think his (highest) potential is like Justin Tuck. Merling is a hell of a talent as well. Thanks to the hernia injury, we got him at 32. Could be a future OLB or DE, possibly depending on which way we go in next years draft.

4. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I am very happy we drafted them. We needed some great youth injected into this defense.:wink2:

5. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I was high on both of these guys when we drafted them, and it clearly showed that Parcells and Co. were determined to address run defense and depth overall on the DL. Bboth were extremely weak areas on our team last year.

6. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

I thought Merling was a steal when we got him, but I missed the boat on Langford completely. I figured he was a project and appeared slow on film that I saw. He has been better than I could have ever imagined at this stage of his career.

I also think Merling has been slowed by his recovery, but has played phenominal considering.

Iwas like az in that initially I wanted Glenn Dorsey, a MLB and a safety. I wanted to rebuild the defense from the middle out.

I am pleased to be wrong and now know why az and I drink beer in front of the TV instead of scour the country looking at the buttocks's of young men in tights...

...uhm, well at least for a living as a scout. I can't attest to what az does on his personal time...

FinSane, Larryfinfan and azfinfanmang like this.
  7. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    To a tee brother. I was VERY vocal about Dorsey, really wanted Dan Connor and whomever the best Safety left was.
    Well, Dorsey has been hurt much to this point. Not even sure if Connor is on a roster?..probably is but...

And now we are stuck with these two? Great great turn of events..and NO I dont admire men in tights... :no:

8. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Connor tore his ACL last week and was placed on IR.

9. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

See what happens when you play at Penn State? :pity:

I don't even know what that means

10. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    wouldn't that be something if langford won droy?

i was excited for merling but i didn't know enough about langford..what a steal

11. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    How can we not be happy with the performance of merling and langford so far. I was a bit puzzled when we drafted langford, just because i'd never heard of him. Then reading up on alot of the great infor posted here about it, it seemed like it could have been a nice pick. Now here we are a few weeks in and these guys are playing outstanding football for us. Definately are going to help out this D for years to come.

12. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Hey,.............there is nothing wrong with going to Penn State. :tantrum:

:lol:

13. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Our draft this year was simply brilliant, rebuilding had to start from the trenches and they nailed it perfectly IMHO. Merling, Langford, Ferguson, Starks, all were very solid and IMHO we already have twice the DL we had last year.

And much as it hurt to see JT & Zach go, it was for the best, this DL and LB core are really coming along as units.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  14. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Watching the game live, I zeroed in on ONE player on the Defense, and that WAS Jason Furgeson. This guy is an absolute ANCHOR. He doesnt get much of the credit he deserves, and I think he is a HUGE part of the two rooks develpment. I watched him completely nuetralize the line of scrimmage play after play....too bad so many plays were Warner throwing deep to Boldin in that game.. :pity:

PhinsRock likes this.
  15. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    I'm loving Langford and Merling so far this season. I was bragging on them yesterday actually lol. I'll make some sort of deal with anyone who could make me a sig pic with Langford and Merilng :)

16. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    not only am I pleasantly surprised with Langford...but I didn't even know who the hell he was when we drafted him.

As for Merling, definitely thought he was a steal.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  17. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    I want a Langford jersey. BIG #70

18. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I agree. The debacle against Arizona was in no way shape or form the D-Line/pass rush's fault.

The Line was neutralized by Arizona's quick drop backs and passes.

Arizona had the perfect gameplan against us after we put some pretty good pressure on Favre in week 1. They took advantage of our lack of talent in the secondary with those quick passes.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  19. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I thought Merling was a steal. I thought he wouldve been a good pick with our 1st rounder back in December of last year (lol) if we went defense and not offense (wanted matt ryan).I thought Langford was a solid pick where we got him at the time. I had others I thought we could go after but I liked the pick. But Langford looks like a steal also. Hopefully Henne and Thomas become steals also

azfinfanmang likes this.
  20. Dannyg28

Dannyg28 Say hi to the rings

Jan 4, 2008
    only thing about our last draft was the drafting of the 2 RBs, i didn't really understand that then, and still don't.

21. Vampire Baby

Vampire Baby New Member

May 5, 2008
    Jalen Parmele will stick around. He is back on the practice squad

No one signed him

He is a guy who has time to develop

22. Dannyg28

Dannyg28 Say hi to the rings

Jan 4, 2008
    i don't have a problem drafting A running back, its drafting the 2 of them that i didn't get .

23. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    you cant have a marion barber on your team unless you are committed to drafting RBs every year.

24. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    That's fine but did we need two? One that was cut and one that is on the PS.

25. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007

Now dont go starting THAT a gain :tantrum:

:tongue2:

ATLFINFAN likes this.
  26. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007

I see two primary reasons.

First and foremost, the mentalitity of everybody involved int he FO is to play smash-mouth football. Gotta have plenty of Fresh Legs to get that done. Of course we have Ronnie and Ricky, but Ricky is one bad weekend away from never playing again, and Ronnie had pretty serious surgery middle of last year. At draft time the coaches really had no idea where he was. A good guess yes, but no "For Sures".

Second, Special Teams baby. Usually Running backs and Linebacker type players are what make and break you on special teams. Those are ALSO the type of players that contribute not only on ST but also as role players in irregular sets.