1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins@Saints post mortem

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Disgustipate, Oct 1, 2013.

1. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    By the way when people notice that Tannehill "seems to get caught" every time he scrambles the very first thing you should be looking at is the protection, IMO.

The blockers are not interfering very well with the pass rushers' ability to collapse the pocket in a disciplined, effective manner that reduces Tannehill's ability to get out of trouble. The threats usually come from all sides and the guys who get the sack are usually completely free of blocking interference with a full head of steam and the ability to mirror Tannehill's movements.

Mile High Fin likes this.
  2. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't agree at all. Tannehill is lightyears better at avoiding a sack when he makes the decision to pull the ball down and run with it than he is when he's trying to extend the pass play by moving. He's nimble, he's smart, and he can move in traffic as a runner, and I think he's well above average when it comes to getting out of trouble in those situations regardless of how collapsed the pocket is.

If he's keeping his eyes down field, it doesn't seem to matter what the pressure actually is. It doesn't matter if the pocket is collapsing, it doesn't matter if there is a single rusher that Tannehill has pretty much identified and is working to avoid. He's gonna take that sack.

And it's new this year. I don't know if it's trying to get the same kind of use out of Mike Wallace as the Steelers did at times or what, but Tannehill could be doing way better in that regard.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  3. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    D gave up to many long yardage catches. Especially when we had a 3-man rush and 8 players back in coverage. Don't even start me on that 3rd and 20.

4. mnfinfan

mnfinfan Active Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    Grand Cayman and Minnesota
    Mine was opposite, I was up by 4 points going into the game playing against Wallace in PPR league and I won by 0.5, who ever said quitters never help!!

5. Canad-phin

Canad-phin Active Member

Oct 17, 2012
    I sorry but that first int was as much Hartline's fault as it was Tannehill's. Hartline stopped running and not the sitting down in his route. He slowed down because he felt the safety coming. He shoud have fought for that ball.

I hate rushing 3 against a great QB. Hate it. They have all day to find their guys open. Four guys should be rushing. Im not saying blitz every play but at least 4 rushing. The Saints made some great plays against the defense. The first Graham Td the cb had perfect position. Just a great play. Jones should of had a better angle at Sproules and that play doesn't do anything. 3rd and long, guys don't rally but also Jordan needs more awareness. Don't try that inside pass rush move when only three are rushing. If he stayed outside on that rush and had his head up that throw would have been alot harder over him instead he was no where near the play.

6. FanMarino

Nov 24, 2007
    Ryan stepped into the pocket and avoided the outside rush and guess what? He stepped up into Jerry losing his man who was into Tannys face in a micro second. You simply cannot get out of that kind of pressure. Its one thing Tannehill learning the fundamentals regarding pocket presence and avoiding the rush but he could have Marinos quick release or RG3 feet and Tanny still isnt get out of that. It was like a freekin minefield in that so called "pocket". Watched the game twice now and that protection especially the 2nd half was bordering on suicidal. Not fair on Ryan Tannehill. Projections on his sacks and hits on #17 are off the scale if it continues. Dolphins all time record giving up hits and sacks. So not good its scary. He wont last if it continues.

7. Finfangirl

Finfangirl Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca
    Reminds me off the Houston offensive line when David Carr was their qb.

8. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm fairly well certain you're talking about the exact same play as I'm referencing. Tannehill moved his position so that Jerry couldn't maintain the block without holding.

The Dolphins are in the position now not because of a huge amount of pressure giving up, but because of how frequently the pressure is being converted into sacks.

I'm not really concerned about Tannehill getting hurt. He's not getting hit that hard or that often. Sacks aren't inherently bad, it's immediate blown blocks that result in a guy getting blindsided. Tannehill hasn't had many of those.

GMJohnson likes this.
  9. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I just though of something, and I get rocked into ball watching during live games so I may have missed it. But do we EVER chip or not a DE off their route? I seen Dion Jordan get chipped or what not by a TE or back more then a few times. Do we EVER do that? Disgust, maybe you know..

10. PhillyPhin

PhillyPhin Banned

Sep 30, 2013
    I do too, his name is Matt Moore. Fumble Fingers and Interception boy is not ready to LEAD a team. No team can survive with that many turnovers from the QB position. I am an expert at knowing this as I've seen every Michael Vick game last year and this.

11. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    They certainly don't seem to do that much of it. They do a pretty decent job of preparing for blitz-heavy teams, but I think the coaching staff could do more to help the situation out. I don't think they don't have great options in terms of non-linemen blockers. Their best pass blocker now is Charles Clay.

12. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    yessssss

[​IMG]

13. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

Im not talking about blitzing. Im talking about DEs. Chipping them and helping out the LT or RT. Because god knows they need it.

14. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Yeah, I got you, I think I was a bit unclear- They don't seem super interested in using their backs or tight ends to do what you're talking about, despite I think some pretty good planning in regards to blitz-heavy teams/situations. If they're not being blitzed, they seem much more interested in going 5-man schemes and hopefully getting the ball out than taking guys out of routes.

Nappy Roots likes this.
  15. FanMarino

Nov 24, 2007
    So Flacco is dropped after his last game yes? You talk crap. If you had watched every Vick game then you know his O-Line last yr was a revolving door, swing-gate, sieve...call it what you like. That Line was worse than ours. Seriously.

16. mcioci

mcioci New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I was down 25 pts and had Wallace, Sturgis and graham. Thank god for graham cause I won by 13.

17. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    heres a plus, we lost to a NFC team. A loss that wont come back to bite us in the ***...

18. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I prefer this one when it comes to Mora rants. I still use it with my kid sometimes.
    [video=youtube;NHipzGL4dwM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHipzGL4dwM[/video]

GMJohnson likes this.
  19. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    The "You don't know" speech should be Sticky'd for all eternity.

MrClean likes this.
  20. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Diddly poo > all rants

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

21. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

No words.