1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins/Saints swap 6th round picks in Bush trade

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by BlameItOnTheHenne, Jan 24, 2012.

1. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    BenVolinPBP Benjamin Volin

According to the Times-Picayune, the #Dolphins and #Saints swapped 6th round picks in the Reggie Bush trade. Saints also got S Jon Amaya

gafinfan and Paul 13 like this.
  2. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Steal.

3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Bah!!! Stupid Ireland. Stupid Ross!
    :shifty:

Bumrush, smahtaz, maynard and 21 others like this.
  4. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I suspect he will be even better next year in Philban's offense. He is one hell of a threat in the passing game and should see his catches skyrocket.

5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Bah!! Clearly, Bush reneged on the deal Ireland made with him to suck. We all know, Ireland only made that deal because he thought Bush was going to to suck really bad for 2 games then have a season ending injury making the handful of draft spots we drop in the 6th be totally not worth missing out on RGIII who would inexplicably fall to our old spot in the 6th round, because Ireland said his mom sold drugs, when RGIII said his dad was a pharmacist and his mom worked for him.

And all this happened while Ross was cupping Ireland's balls instead of hiring George Seifert to coach.

EFF YOU IRELAND!!!!!!!!!!!

6. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Fire Ireland.

7. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    It was a good move but because of the dismal start it is overlooked. Ireland needs more hits like this...say at QB.

smahtaz and gunn34 like this.
  8. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    So all kidding aside, you guys are using the fact that Jeff Ireland got a bargain on a RB as reason he should not be criticized.

To that I say good for him. Reggie Bush did a great job and turned out to be a good addition from Ireland. So those who thought he was stupid for grabbing Bush should eat a little crow.

But that doesn't mean Ireland is GM of the year. I'll applaud Ireland when he finds the Miami Dolphins a QB.

9. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    Nope... Don't think that at all. I think the posts reflect the reality that when the Bush trade went down there were people on this board ready to fly to New Yawk and jump off the Empire State Building. The team was doomed. Ireland was a.) a clown; b.) an idiot; c.) just plain stupid; d.) the utter downfall of the franchise; or e.) make up your own pejorative comment about the absolute horribleness of Jeff Ireland. Ireland has been pilloried, derided, insulted, despised, and blamed for everything wrong with the Dolphins since 2008 - when he was technically Bill Parcells assistant. The responses are indicative that at least a few of us feel that he is doing at the bare minimum an adequate job. I have been following professional football for a long, long, time, though without the depth and concentration of the gurus on this board - and don't think Ireland is anywhere near as bad as some portray him to be. There is not now nor will ever be a General Manager who hits on every draft pick, nor much more than a very simple majority of draft picks. Ireland is on the right side of the bell curve - and I feel he will improve over time, and with some tempering. But, I know that he is not the person totally responsible for the demise of the greatness of the Miami Dolphins. That began when Wayne hired Jimmy and was a fait acompli before the door hit Cameron in the tukkis on the way out.

This team is stronger today than it has been since 2003 - all tolled. And it will, I think, grow stronger as the next season opens.

shula_guy, smahtaz, Trowa and 4 others like this.
  10. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I believe the truth with Ireland, is somewhere in the middle, as it often is in all the most intense debates on this board. I don't think the criticism of Ireland by most is anywhere near as bad or unfounded as you and others insinuate. But there is a minority who do place too much blame at Ireland's feet. There is also a minority who defend him blindly.

The guy has hit on some picks and done some good things. He's also failed to land us a QB to this point. And that's the most important position on the team. No matter how many RBs, WRs, OTs he finds if he doesn't succeed at QB he'll never succeed as a GM.

11. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    The reality is though he's the best GM we've had in oh....a decade +?

unluckyluciano, FinNasty and gunn34 like this.
  12. Daben

Daben Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2008
    This will come as a surprise to some Saints fans who genuinely believed they were getting a 1st or 2nd rounder still as a conditional pick. Fans are funny :)

13. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Do you think the Dolphins GMs success or lack thereof of the last decade should be a measurement for success or exclude the man from criticism? My opinion is he shares the same major failure as all the rest. No QB.

14. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    yep! Saints really bent us over on that one! Those 2 idiots will be removing dick splinters for years. :shifty:

15. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Ya, I'm sorry but I'm not going to give him a failing grade b/c he swung and missed one time on a QB. He has added a lot of talent to this team. To fire him over 1 whiff, especially when the odds of hitting on that arent even 50%, would be completely foolish IMO.

He needs to find a QB. But that doesnt mean hes done a poor job. Hes done a very good job in Miami...

slickj101, unluckyluciano and Trowa like this.
  16. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    If in fact this is confirmed by NFL and we swapped 6th rounders moving from (9th = win toss or 10th = lose toss) to #27.....frankly thats great news compared to it being reported we traded a CONDITIONAL pick for Reggie.

Not giving up a pick completely is great news.....hope its confirmed by NFL offices soon.

17. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Now if we can find a compliment to him who could convert s single 3rd or 4 th and 1. DT and hilliard ain't those guys.

18. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Usually you have to pay more if you want some good Bush.

Jimmy James likes this.
  19. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Will you kindly tell us then, out of all the 2011 QB acquisitions (FA, draft, trade), who the top performers were?

By my estimation, Matt Moore, had both the best QBR and TD-INT ratio of the group. Outside of Newton, Matt was arguably the top performing QB acquisition of 2011, and that includes the 1st rounder & Dominique Cromartie given up for Kolb. It seems your criticism of the guy is a little extreme and somewhat unwarranted.

slickj101 likes this.
  20. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    ..... or have better skills.

smahtaz and Boik14 like this.
  21. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Yes, there were many who called Ireland names for aquiring the player..Just like there were many calling Ross childish names during the coaching search..

People who criticize with no room in their tone for error, or speak in absolutes without privlaged information, deserve to be called out..They do nothing for our team, our franchise, our culture..

22. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Very true Rev, just like there are folks that think if Ireland doesn't find DanTomDrewPeytonBreesManningMarinoBrady this off season, that he is a clown, an idiot, just plain stupid, etc...

23. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    swap of sixth rounders was what I thought I heard back when Bush was traded. But that was conditional assuming the Saints would finish with a better record than us. It was close... :shifty:

24. thisperishedmin

thisperishedmin Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Awesome deal if thats true. I was expecting it to turn into a 4th depending on what he did for us - probably a 5th. Better than I would have imagined.

25. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Like I said, he's failed up until this point to find us a QB. I'm not suggesting he doesn't deserve a chance to make right. Regardless of what I or any other fan thinks, the Dolphins for better or worse stuck with him, so I hope he gets it right. But up until this point he hasn't made the position the priority it needs to be, IMHO. And that's why I won't agree with you that he's done a very good job. You can't say someone has done a very good job when they haven't found the most important position on the field. If you build a great car, but you don't find the wheels, it's pretty useless.

26. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    As I've said before, I won't blame Ireland for not finding a franchise QB. I'll blame him for not trying. We clearly have a need. I'm eager to see how he addresses that need this year. I'll reserve judgment til then.

27. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    I honestly don’t buy at all that Ireland doesn’t prioritize the QB position. It is the most important position by far, and I dont believe that escapes Ireland one bit. What exactly would you have wished he did differently, other than originally selecting a different QB than Henne?

We drafted Henne and groomed him for a year behind Pennington. Do you draft another QB after 2008, even though Henne never saw much live action? I wouldn’t have agreed with that. (no, Pat White doesnt count as a QB, lol)

Henne played in 2009 and showed some real promise for the future. Would you have drafted another QB after the 2009 season? I wouldn’t have agreed with that.

Henne then regressed in 2010. Would you have drafted another QB after the 2010 season? I wouldn’t have been against it, but I also think that giving Henne a year to bounce back from the equivalent of a sophomore slump was not crazy. As we saw in the first few games in the 2011 season before he got hurt, Henne seemed to have made some nice strides in his development IMO. If you did decide that this was the time to go draft a QB… who would you have drafted at the time? We were sitting at #15 and didn’t have much ammo to trade to move up at all. And 4 QBs were drafted ahead of our pick, 1 or 2 that were considered to be huge reaches at the time. We couldn’t trade up, and there was no QB at the time that appeared to be worth the 15th pick. Now, Dalton had a nice rookie year and may end up proving to be worth the 15th overall pick… but at the time Dalton was viewed as a 2nd-3rd rounder. We couldn’t trade up to land one of the top 4 QB’s in the draft, and I don’t believe not reaching at the time on Dalton should be categorized as “not prioritizing the QB position”.

And then here we are after the 2011 season… where Ireland most definitely will be going after a QB either in the draft, FA, or via trade.

So, other than just drafting a QB high every single year, I’m not sure what Ireland should have done differently in terms of prioritizing the QB position.

slickj101, quelonio, Hellion and 5 others like this.
  28. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    They did prioritize QB. They wanted to draft guys like Locker and Ponder at 16. They had a low opinion of Mallett but that doesn't mean they didn't want to improve that spot. Don't sleep on Tannehill being their guy in the middle first round either.

djphinfan likes this.
  29. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    Nice that we gave up very little.

But lets be honest, I don't think the Saints are regretting the Darren Sproles decision.

30. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    A win/win trade

31. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    The reasons you suggest are why I'm willing to reserve judgement on Ireland until we see what he does this year. I do think he should have considered Dalton at 15 or made the move for Mallet instead of Thomas last year. But hindsight is 20/20 and we may never know what kind of QB Mallet is.

Also, the draft stuff I was reading had Dalton pegged as mid - late 1st, not a 2nd or 3rd.

32. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    The complements will be a right guard and a right tackle.

RevRick, BlameItOnTheHenne and Boik14 like this.
  33. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I wonder if he accepted the Bush deal on the condition Reggie's mom was/is a prostitute? I think New Orleans got a raw deal on that Bush trade. :shifty:

In all seriousness great deal by JI. New Orleans didnt miss him but we needed him and long term Reggie is part of the solution not the problem. He doesnt appear to be the prima-donna that some feared. He worked hard to prove the haters wrong. I felt Reggie would come in and get around 1100 yards rushing and 60 catches...he disappointed on the catches but that may yet change.

34. MAFishFan

MAFishFan Team Tannehill

Sep 20, 2011
    Massachusetts
    6th rounder, great, there goes our franchise qb

35. KingofMiami

KingofMiami FINS ARE KING

Jan 29, 2010
    miami fl
    that's what she said.

36. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Which is why hiring Sherman can be potentially huge. Although I think we can get Tannehill in the second.

37. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I doubt Tannehill lasts that long. I have been saying for months that he would shoot up the boards through the draft process. I predicted he'd be a top 15 pick. I just saw a thing where Brandt said he expects Tannehill to be a top 10 pick based on both talent and what he's hearing around the league. And that is despite the foot injury. I think you're seeing Weedon shoot up at the Senior Bowl as well. Both of those guys are elite talents. There's no way the NFL scouts have them in the second and third rounds like many of these early mocks predicted.

djphinfan likes this.
  38. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Isn't this news like 4 months old now? Boik asked me about the Bush compensation the other day. This news all came out about 3 days after the trade went down. Didn't realize so many people were unaware.

39. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    Nothing had ever been officially confirmed...

40. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    How many years has Ozzie Newsome been trying to find a quarterback in Baltimore? He has spent two high first round picks on quarterbacks in the past ten years, and he still hasn't found a franchise caliber starter. Matt Moore has outproduced Joe Flacco in passer rating over their careers and more than outplayed him this year.

poli33 likes this.