1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins say second-round QB Henne could start as rookie

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by alen1, Apr 26, 2008.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Some of you are not gonna be happy with this but here it is:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d807fffd9&template=with-video&confirm=true

When Ireland asked about trading Jason Taylor, he responded with the following:

When discussing the reason behind the trade of Lorenzo Booker:

Merling was taken with the first pick of the second round, No. 32 overall. The 6-foot-4, 276-pound defensive end had seven sacks as a junior last season despite nursing a sports hernia.

He underwent surgery, resumed full workouts only in the past week and tried out for two dozen NFL observers Thursday at Clemson.

When the first overall pick of the second round was asked about himself, he replied with:

Thoughts on Henne by Ireland:

Your guys thoughts?

2. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    Thanks bro

alen1 likes this.
  3. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Hmm, JT thing could be true, or it might not .... I wouldnt be shocked either way heh.

Long and Merling were great picks, both should start. Merling should be a DE either in a 3-4 or 4-3 setting. Could spell bad news for Vonnie Holliday, wonder if we try and trade him for something?

As for Henne starting. If the brain trust feels hes the best man Im all for it. I wasnt to fond of picking him, but with him on the team now, if he turns out to give us the best shot at winning, I will start him in a heartbeat.

4. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Its Becks job to lose. He has the advantage over Henne. The only reason they make himt he starter is because they picked him.

5. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado

What's Ginn thinking now? "I have to suck up to a Michigan guy now":wink2:

6. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    You know, this is refreshing. When was the last time we had a FO and coaching staff that we truly believed will pay the best players regardless of past promises or salary, etc?

Georgia Fin likes this.
  7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah its really delightful to see this team actually going in the right direction after all those years of misery.

8. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    If he gets the job because LEGITIMATELY beats out Beck, than cool.

9. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I think you need to sing the Wolverine Fight Song for us :yes:

cnc66 likes this.
  10. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California

I think its silly to ever sit and say "tyhis has to be our guy" unless you are talking about someone in the Dan Marino mold. John Beck is a fin person and I hope he starts for us, but I LOVE the fact that we now also have Henne who can also lead us and maybe even UPGRADE us. I think the bottom line is all of us want to win. Whomever gives us the best chance to do that is our guy and everyone will stand behind them once we start winning.

Themole likes this.
  11. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    Just wait until we draft Manningham or Hart later in the draft!

12. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Being a believer in John Beck... I still like the Chad Henne pick at #57.

We now have two QBs who started a bunch of games for their respective teams in college, and if you look at past trends, QBs who play a lot in college tend to be successful in the NFL. I feel confident we'll finally have solid QB play. If not this year, almost certainly next.

The QB battle in training camp is going to be very, very exciting.

miami#1 and DOLFANMIKE like this.
  13. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    Exactly. The only two players I wouldnt want to see as backups on our current roster were Zach and JT. I want everyone else fighting for their spot every year.

14. Themole

Themole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.

If this is what you think might make some of us unhappy; General manager Jeff Ireland didn't discount the possibility Henne will start as a rookie.

"That's up to him," Ireland said. "It's going to bring some competition to the position. It's going to be a good battle."

Henne will compete with John Beck, a second-round choice last year, and recently acquired veteran Josh McCown.

I really see nothing there to cause concern. I'm an ardent Beck supporter but if he can't do the job, I welcome someone that can.

If Henne falls flat on his face, then the pick was a total waste. I think that was the concern and displeasure of most who didn't agree with the pick.

If the Dolphins considered Henne that much of a sure thing, they wouldn't have allowed 57 other picks to pass before they grabbed him.

15. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    They didn't have a choice - Merling was there at 32, which is where they wanted to get Henne in the first place according to reports.

I'm still positive we see Henne in the long run regardless - we're going to see McCown start this year and Henne groomed to take over. The organization has their players and their system in place, and that's how they want it.

ryoung8918 likes this.
  16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Unfortunate but true. I agree.

17. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I agree. I wanted Flacco with that pick (if he was still on the board) but once Merling was still available all plans go out the window and you get a top ten stud OLB no questions asked

18. Themole

Themole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.
    That's my point. They valued Merling higher than Henne.

If they were that concerned over the QB position, they wouln't have taken a chance on letting one they had high value assigned to slip through their hands.

As far as who will start the season. we'll see. It's open competition and the person that gives the team the best chance to win will be the man.

I think it will be Beck. If it's Henne, so be it. The best man will have won the starting job.

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  19. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I think you are wrong, I don't buy what you are implying a bit.

20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I love Flacco. I am not dissapointed with Henne pick though.

21. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

As A Beck fan, I'm sorry to say, I feel you are right. Chad Henne is "Their Guy" and it will be his job to lose. Because of that I wish they would have traded John because I would really like to see him get a real chance to start somewhere; if not here.

22. SkapePhin

SkapePhin sigpicz.blogspot.com

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort Lauderdale
    I will be rooting for Beck. I think he gets a fair shake this year.. I see this playing out like Brees in SD... And I think Beck will win the Starting job for the future as well.. The thing is, Beck is already older, so maybe we can have Henne around, and groom him, for him to take over once Beck leaves, or we could simply trade Henne once the position is solidified and get some value for him..

I like the move to get Henne, because now we have a good plan B in case Beck doesnt pan out..

However, personality-wise, I prefer Beck over Henne.. I just think he has more leadership qualities.. From the little I have heard from Henne, he appears to be a little too timid..

23. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I glad we didnt take Flacco really. Nothing spectacular from his gameplay, just has a good arm. He never impressed me and was glad he wasnt there at 32.

The Henne pick I still debate, but I understand it, and Im just glad we didnt burn it at 32 and snagged Merling in there as well.

24. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    The fact that we didn't take Henne as our first pick in the second says a lot to me. If we were sold on him being the guy for the future there is no way we pass on him there. Yes we ended up with him in the long run anyway, but it could have turned out very different.

Most likely the competition will be open between Beck and Chad. Competition brings out the best in players, so we will see.

Themole likes this.
  25. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    As long as Beck gets a fair chance, I agree. IMO last year should just be forgotten. He was rushed in to play, then out. The O-line stunk and so did recievers. SO, if this coaching staff etc. is as good as they say they are, they should coach him more and really see his potential before making any decisions on a starter. I'm really torn on the phrase "not their guy etc." It should always be, what and how much talent the player has, NOT, personal feelings from the staff.

Themole likes this.
  26. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I thought we should've gone CB instead of Henne but it's not the worst decision. I dunno if Henne's ready or even close to being ready to start. He holds onto the ball too long, can't operate unless there's great blocking, and is really inconsistent. If only Packers hadn't taken Brohm earlier, I would've wished the Phins would've taken him. Because I think Brohm's the better QB prospect.

27. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    May the best man win.

28. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    I like the fact that we're finally drafting QB's to develop instead of takling everyone elses left overs. Regardless of who's camp your in, it's definately a positive change this team has needed for years and I for one am excited we have this"problem" to discuss.:up:

Ultra likes this.
  29. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I really don't think Beck will not be tossed aside if he turns out to be a very good QB. The only way I see Beck get tossed aside is if he continues to play the way he did last season and fails to progress. I hope that's not the case.

30. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I don't see Henne starting. I see it as a battle between Beck and McCown. Henne maybe the future in Parcells eyes, but remember, he does not start rookie QB's, in fact he eats them alive.

31. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    You're forgetting about Drew Bledsoe. I agree though, whether Henne is the future or not, I hope he gets to sit for a season before seeing action.