1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins seconday coach says unit must 'play smarter

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Jun 4, 2010.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...s-secondary-coach-todd-bowles-unfiltered.html

2. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Very good read. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Yeremiah Bell has to be one of the top 6th round steals since the draft went to the current format. And that may be short changing it some.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Thanks D71, It was a good article..gave you some of that good rep for doing what you do for us.

Sean Smith, being more sure of himself, the knowledge of the game, his confidence, his strength will make his feet go faster, which was his biggest weakness last year, his feet were somewhat lethargic thru zone coverage and when he had to change direction.

I love our corners playing more man to man, I think both sean and Vontae's skillset suits that style of play, which if they can flourish in that dept, boy are we set on defense, we can do so many more things, especially with Wake comin off the edge with that kind of tempo..its the combination of press coverage and a serious pass rusher that has me salivating..I also like the fact that we could be strong up the middle with Dansby and Bell patroling.

The Bullfrog....Pro bowl saftey, getting better at age 31...There were times last year where he flashed legit 4'4 speed...his game is still ascending...

VD, iam not worried about in the least, when this kids brain catches up with his talent, watchout, many receivers will be effected with his disease..hehehehe..

It would be nice if one day Ybell could play his game instead of babysittin others, hopefully Clemons can step up, however, I dont need him to do much to upgrade the position from last year.

4. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

In defense of Bowles and the entire secondary last year, there has to be a modicum of help from the ILBers in order for the secondary to be successful. The safeties had to constantly peek in to see what was going on in the short middle of the field. Some of that will be eliminated by the addition of Dansby and whoever is next to him. Nolan likes packages and putting a younger, more athletic cover guy in there on passing downs (like Edds) will aid the secondary.

Of course consistent pressure from the DL is also needed. Steps have been taken to rectify some of that as well....

5. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Yeah, I remember when he was drafted one of the draft magazines under worst move simply put "Yeremiah who?".
    He was frustration city at first, though. He always had some nagging injury that kept him out of the lineup for years...

6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Interesting that R Jones played both safety positions at UGA.

7. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Wait, the same ******ed Vontae guy who picked Brady, raping Moss twice?

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The same Vontae who was torched by:

Terrel Owens
    Randy Moss
    Nate Washington
    Jacoby Jones (that could have been Smith)
    The entire Saints Wr corps

9. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    touche

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    This is interesting, yet not surprising to me. I am not going to read too much into this single play but I do think its something that Vontae's struggled with going back to his Illinois days. If anyone is an Illini fan here or an Ohio State fan, go back to Vontae's final year at Illinois when they played Ohio State. Ohio State is in the red zone and Vontae's the strong corner (lined up on the left, looking at it from the defense's view). I can't remember exactly which receiver it is from Ohio State but they ran a corner route against the Illinois defense, which was playing zone. Vontae sits on the flat to bait the quarterback into the throw and then he was suppose to drop back to intercept it. Vontae baits the quarterback but doesn't drop back in time and it should have been a touchdown but the Ohio St. WR dropped it. The point is not the touchdown that should have been, but Vontae's mental process of the play. He needs to pick it up, get in position to make that play.

Just an example of what I've seen watching Vontae over the years.

I agree here. Going back to the mental aspect of the game, Gibril Wilson and Yeremiah Bell were not quick enough processing the offense and they were a step late to several passes last year. I think the safety position is undervalued by some but I don't think it should be because last year is an example of how a poor "marriage" can be detrimental to the football team. It cost us games. Just go back to the Saints game. I know its tough to think about it because it sucked but on the seam route by Jeremy Shockey is an example of being a step late. Yeremiah Bell tried to jump the seam route, did not get there in time, which required Gibril Wilson to run from the opposite hashes to attempt to bring down Shockey. Not pretty. We need to get our mental game up and running. Chris Clemons has the physical talent but doesn't have the mental skill or at least didn't show it last year and he struggled some with it at Clemson. Reshad Jones lacks a little bit of both to be a free safety IMO. Tyrone Culver has the mental skills but his physical skills are not great. I don't think Culver is any worse than Renaldo Hill, who was Nolan's safety in Denver last year, but I do think we need to upgrade.

Most people know how I feel about Sean by now. I think he's got a ton of talent but is still raw. It's good that he's gotten rid of some of the choppiness in his footwork that he showed in his final year at Utah and some of last year. His upper body strength improving is awesome to read. I felt that he was good press corner in college but struggled in the NFL. Hopefully they've fixed that. I hope they fix his positioning. He struggled with that some last year IMO.

I wonder if that first sentence is foreshadowing. If you move Vontae to nickel, he's learning a new position. It's not the same thing as being a strong corner. It's not the same thing as being a weak corner either. Will Allen will be the nickel?

MikeHoncho likes this.
  11. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    Don't bash Vontae. Henne to Hartline is an unstoppable combination.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  12. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    All I hear is that is an offense led league these days so who cares about the secondary :wink2:
    just load it up and shoot it out.

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Perhaps some have missed the point of the article..Db Coach Bowles recognized "who" was going to be thrown the ball based on the formation, told Vontae what was coming, and Vontae still did not break up the play..and he knew what was coming.

Play recognition, positioning, Vontae did a whole host of things wrong on that play, small wonder Bowles was peeved at VD.

14. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Boy, that can be taken out of context. Nice word choice. :lol:

Just screwing around with you. :up: Hope you're doing well, brother.

Phinatic425 and Killerphins like this.
  15. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    That's what She said!

16. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    :lol: hey now I love to penetrate the gap
    just not a big fan of shootouts..... on the football field anyways.

Vontae will make plays for us this season. Definitely not my biggest concern.
    Love seeing a coach get in his ear and working out the wrinkles.

I'm good man :up:

alen1 likes this.
  17. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    You mean the rookie who got beat by some of the best veteran wideouts in the league? Give the kid some time, dude.

Sent from my iPhone yusing Tapatalk

18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'm not dissing Vontae, in fact I rather like his game and the person, what I was pointing out is he is not a finished product as of yet.

His tackling is outstanding.