1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins sign Allen Hurns 1 year 3 million

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Vertical Limit, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    per adam schefter

2. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    resnor likes this.
  3. Galant

Apr 22, 2014

4. Galant

Apr 22, 2014

5. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    Good pickup. Hopefully he can recover from his injury.

6. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I like it, solid depth at WR along with a somewhat open competition. May the best man step up and ball!

7. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Does anyone else feel like this is kind of an odd signing? First of all, I think Hurns is a pretty good ball player who is definitely capable of being starting boundary WR. Had he waited literally a few more hours, he could have put himself in position to get a pretty decent amount of early action in New York with injuries to Coleman and Shepard. I know he isn't psychic, but I do think that for many teams, he would be "the next guy to call" if one of their starting WRs got hurt. I really don't think that he needed to hurry to find a team.

It makes sense that Miami would be happy to pay a good WR $3 million for one deal. Hurns is relatively young, and could definitely parlay this deal into multiyear extension. But if you look at our roster, it might be difficult for him to crack the field. Let's do a little digging.

Parker - Fool me once, fool me twice. Again, he has been the talk of camp and has drawn considerable praise. I have my reservations, but considering what we have invested in him, if there is even a remote chance that he can reach his potential, we start him and keep him on the field. He has been injury prone, but I couldn't imagine Hurns banking on this.

Stills - He will probably move to slot, but I would expect him to be on the field during two WR sets. No chance Hurns could beat him out.

Wilson - This could be where Hurns sees his opening. It seems like Wilson's recovery is still a work in progress. Maybe he thinks that he could get early snaps, find early success, and wind up keeping Wilson's job. Wilson has the benefit of a high salary that could dictate some playing time. Again, if I was Hurns I would be concerned that I could get early snaps, but as Wilson returns, he could see his snaps drastically reduced.

Grant - He is a situational guy. He is shifty and fast. If Hurns thinks he is between the third and fourth best WR on the team, he will certainly lose snaps to Grant. There are just certain times it makes sense to get him onto the field.

Williams - This undrafted rookie has shown promise, but there are a long, long list of WRs that the Miami media adores that never amounted to anything more than practice squad players. If he winds up making the 53, I would want to give him snaps. Again, this would likely affect Hurns.

Butler - I thought this guy was underapprectiated. He did a nice job when called upon. Prior to Hurns' signing, I did think that he might have trouble sticking on the roster if Williams showed promise. Butler is a little older than Hurns, and this could be the spot he takes if we carry six WRs. Because of Wilson's health, I could see us carrying six WRs early, and cutting one as his health returns. I would suspect the cut candidates would be Butler, Hurns, and Williams.

I just find it curious that he would sign a 1 year, prove it deal, and put himself in a situation where he may not get the snaps to be able to prove it.

The Twitterverse has floated the idea that his roster spot is not guaranteed. If that is the case, it is a very good situation for us and a dicey one for him.

ripper1961 likes this.
  8. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    He most likely will play the proptypical slot receiver role that NE typically employs. We don't really have one of those.

9. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I really wanted us to sign Hurns when he left he Jags. He has a lot of talent. The injury thing does temper my enthusiasm now, but who knows? Could be good.

10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I really want one of the young guys to step up

11. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014
    why would he have trouble getting snaps? he is instantly the best and most accomplished WR on the roster.