1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins sign Davone Bess WR Hawaii

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by BuckeyeKing, Apr 27, 2008.

1. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Someone else broke it just making the thread.

alen1 likes this.
  2. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    Tell me about him..I know nothing

[​IMG]

3. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
  4. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Well now all the WR happy people can stop moaning ;)

5. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    Here's a look-see.

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=jTnzk7kNpR0[/media]

Striking, Jackson and HardKoreXXX like this.
  6. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I like his hands, we need players who can catch the ball. Sounds stupidly obvious, yet painfully difficult to realize sometimes. Hopefully this kid can develop into something good.

7. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  8. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    alright!!! a receiver!!!!! finally!!

I like the potential this kid has. He's made some great plays and been really productive in college. Hopefully it works out

9. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    Kid looks really nice

10. SkapePhin

SkapePhin sigpicz.blogspot.com

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort Lauderdale
    Cool.. He can hang out with Satele and Mauiia!

11. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Reagan Mauia will be cut.

12. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    i didnt understand why bess wasnt drafted

but like i said i am sure bill had a list of players he wanted that he felt may go undrafted and didnt waste picks on him and i am sure starting in the 6th he was on the phone to agents

i really like bess

13. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Bess is a guy I caught watching a few Hawaii games last year. The first thing that stands out is his playmaking ability. He ran reverses, caught passes, returns kicks, really just made plays all over the field. He gets the comparison to Welker because of the damage he did out of the slot, and the fact that, while he doesn't have high top end speed, he is quick off the line and shifty in open space.

Probably my favorite guy off the Hawaii squad, including Brennan. Good pickup by the FO. I expect he will see the field for us.

14. Killer B's

Killer B's Junior Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Cincinnati
    Yep, slot was the first thing that came to mind. Don't know much about him but its nice seeing someone catch the ball with his hands instead of his body for a change.

15. dgb11112

dgb11112 Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2008
    Atlanta
    Bess Info

Ok guys here is the low down on Bess....

I am a UGA fan and I was watching the Sugar Bowl game. They couldn't stop talking about this kid... They stated that he had some legal trouble with the law similar to what happened with Colt Brennen the QB there in Hawaii as well. They went on to mention that if he had been able to go to a big league school he would have been a first or second rounder. If I recall he was heavily recruited by Flordia and Fla State.

He is know as a reliable possession receiver and was just a jr.

I have put the info regarding him below for us all to view this is a great pickup IMO

Strengths:

Is fluid changing directions, shows adequate burst coming out of cuts and gets adequate separation when running short-to-intermediate routes against man coverage. Does a good job of locating balls thrown over shoulder and uses body to shield trailing defenders from the ball. Catches the ball with hands, adjusts fairly well to passes thrown behind him and doesn't drop many passes that should catch. Keeps head up, reads blocks well and is dangerous on screens. Shows good awareness and works back to quarterback when the protection starts to break down. Bounces off arm tackles, makes defenders miss and produces after the catch. Has experience returning punts and can contribute on special teams. Played quarterback at the high school level and throws the ball well enough.

Weaknesses:

Doesn't show a second gear when tracking the ball downfield and isn't going to run by many NFL corners. Appears indecisive at times and may not read defenses well. Is undersized, doesn't play physical and is going to get pushed around by bigger corners. Played in a spread scheme that made it difficult to double any one receiver, primarily worked out of the slot frequently facing safeties and linebackers and he may need some time to adjust to a pro style offense as a result. Doesn't keep the ball tight to frame and can put it on the ground. Doesn't play with enough of a mean streak, doesn't always throw blocks downfield and played in a scheme that didn't ask receivers to do a lot in terms of blocking. Has problems controlling emotions and he was flagged for excessive celebration during the Charleston Southern game.

Overall:

Bess graduated from high school in 2004 but he didn't enroll at Hawaii until 2005. He started 14 games that year finishing with better than 1,000 receiving yards, 14 receiving touchdowns and 89 catches. Bess started all 14 games of the 2006 season finishing with 1,220 receiving yards, 15 receiving touchdowns and 96 catches. He started all 13 games of the 2007 season finishing with 1,266 receiving yards, 12 receiving touchdowns and 108 catches. Bess also returned 18 punts and averaged 9.7 yards per return last year. Bess is quick, agile and reliable enough to develop into an effective No. 4 or possibly No. 3 receiver. He also displays some upside in the return game. However, Bess lacks ideal size and top-end speed. He also must prove he can produce working against a much higher level of competition and successfully transition to a pro-style offense. Keeping that in mind, Bess projects as a mid-to-late round pick.

MIKE, bran and brandon27 like this.
  16. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    i agree when i watched hawaii games i always looked for bess he just makes plays
    i think he will be on the team and probably be in the slot for the dolphins the guy can catch

17. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire

his weaknesses sound more technique issues than anything that can be worked out i hope he turns out to be a good replacement for welker

18. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    This guy put up stupid numbers in college. I mean, even by college standards in the wacky offense Hawaii runs he put up great stats.

Just like a certain slot receiver in another pass-happy offense we watched in the NFL last year.

Bess on film looks really quick. Not fast by any means, I don't think he's got wheels beyond standard speed, but he's really quick. Good thing too, seeing as we just got rid of a shifty playmaker the year after we got rid of a shifty playmaker.

19. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    i can see him doing a lot of those quick slants like chambers used to do when gus as qb i think he could make a lot of people miss

20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think this is a good signing. He is a productive player ( but who isn't in Hawaii's pass O). I liked Jason Rivers more but i like Bess too.

21. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    Nice videos. He looked smooth when catching balls that were slightly behind him. I agree that just catching the ball would be a blessing.

22. whatsburning

whatsburning Junior Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Honoruru
    I was torn between the Hawaii trifecta... Bess, Grice-Mullin, and Rivers all have different strengths. I might have leaned more to Grice-Mullin solely on his speed (4.3 something at his Pro day), or to Rivers (ALWAYS showed up during the big games - even the shellacking by Georgia, he had over 100 yds) but I'm very happy with Davone.

He's a standup guy, always giving to the elementary schools around Hawaii, autographing anything you request, and will stop and have a conversation with you if you stop him walking down the street. He's humble, respectful, and best of all, WILL catch anything and everything thrown his way. Oh yeah... another Warrior for our beloved team.