1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins sign Luke Falk

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by KeyFin, Sep 2, 2018.

1. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    We claimed Falk off of waivers today! For those of you who don't remember, Luke Falk was one of Gase's favorite quarterbacks in the entire draft and there was tons of speculation that we'd grab him in the 2nd or 3rd round.

The Titans cut him loose though so we got our guy for free AND we're getting intel on our week 1 opponent. I can't possibly imagine a better name to bring in across the whole league for Gase. I'm personally thrilled because he can potentially be our next QB years down the road as well- this was like hitting the lottery today.

Who the hell cuts a QB they just scouted & drafted? Crazy move by the Titans. We cut OT Sam Young to make room for Falk, so at the moment we're 4 QB's deep.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  2. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Bye Fales

Irishman and KeyFin like this.
  3. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Yep, bye fales. Love this signing. I was hoping we give Paxton a call but this is just as good in my opinion.

4. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    So far they cut Sam Young to make room for Falk...I'm wondering if that's permanent though or if they're just moving bodies around. I wouldn't hate the idea of four QB's (especially with a rookie) but I do hate the idea of 4 backup linemen.

Irishman likes this.
  5. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Well there was a reason he was let go. He’s underperformed and got beat out for the third spot. Maybe something magical will happen and he can develoP into a 2nd or third stringer.

Nice pickup if Gase really liked him however I’m starting to doubt his talent scouting after 3 years.

6. canesz06

canesz06 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Super bowl for sure

Irishman likes this.
  7. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    I assume they have another OT in mind to bring in. I wonder who it is?

Irishman likes this.
  8. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Someone's who is friends with his cousin's sister's friend raved about him on here and got some people excited.

The kid obviously can't play.

9. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    The Titans were going to stick with Mariota and Gabbert either way, so Falk was seen as a QB3 to groom and then they had the safe veteran backup in case Mariota went down. He had an okay pre-season and took every snap in game 4....he was 13 of 24 for 114 yards and 0 TD/0 INT, plus he was sacked 4 times behind the 2nd string line.

He couldn't get much going in the 2nd half and obviously needs work (he is a rookie, after all) but the kid has a cannon and he's very accurate. Footwork in the pocket is his biggest problem (sound familiar!?!). He's not a runner/scrambler like RT since he's a pure pocket passer, but Gase loves his throwing motion and his instinct.

As I said, I'm thrilled we took a flyer on him and I wish that we'd do this every 1-2 years with a young QB. If they don't develop then you really don't lose anything, but if they do...that's how you get the next Tom Brady. You certainly can't find that diamond in the rough though if you're not playing the game.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  10. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Zero expectation or hope for him, and I didn't want to draft him ... but I'd take him over Brock Lobster. Gase is digging his grave keeping that guy.

Dorfdad and Phin McCool like this.
  11. Irishman

Irishman Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2017
    High Point, NC
    I agree completely.

Dorfdad and KeyFin like this.
  12. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Worst news so far. Cool about Falk, but whenever i watched Young this pre season, he looked really good. Important position to have some depth. Not diggin' it.

Tin Indian and KeyFin like this.
  13. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I agree....we need line depth since injury is a lot more common there. It makes me very nervous.

Sceeto likes this.
  14. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    We need to carry FOUR QBs? I'd be okay if Oz or Fales got cut to make room for a development QB in Falk, but losing OL depth to keep all four feels like a mistake we'll regret later this season.

Getting lots of insight into the Titan offense will be handy for week one though.

Tin Indian and KeyFin like this.
  15. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
  16. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Irishman likes this.
  17. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    I suspect our staff want to evaluate Fales in their system before letting go of Osweiler or Fales. However, in 2017 a lot of writers had him as a first round pick and many rated him higher than Baker Mayfield.

I haven’t followed how he went in Tennessee but he’s had 4 good years of college film. From what I have read the biggest concerns are about his durability and ability to avoid sacks.

18. Phin McCool

Phin McCool Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Brilliant! Love it :sidelol:

19. EverFin

EverFin Active Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Waldman's RSP sees about the same in Kalen Ballage I was thinking when we drafted him. If he is right with Ballage and also with Falk this would be a wonderful Supplement to our picks in the frist three rounds of the draft. In one year when all this puzzle pieces fits...

KeyFin, Irishman and Surfs Up 99 like this.
  20. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Strange thing is Gase said he wanted to keep both Fales and Osweiler for the time being. No way they keep 4 QB's for a long stretch of time.

I'm thinking they want to see Falk in person for a few days and also get some info on the Titans, kill two birds with one stone. It'll be sort of like an extended "pre-draft visit" I think, and they'll decide by next week whether they'll want to cut one of Fales or Osweiler to keep Falk or not.

Irishman likes this.
  21. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    I, don't expect Falk to be NFL starter ready for a couple years.But he is talented, smart and a genuinely good person. He WILL be successful. He is very similar to Tannehill, more accurate, less mobile. Best off play action but timing routes and the up tempo game suit him well also. I just hope he can break the curse of QBs with last names starting with F on this team