1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins sign offensive tackle Brandon Frye off Texans' practice squad

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Styla, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Styla

Styla #1 Davone Bess Fan!!!

Apr 1, 2008
    Chillaxin' in So.Cal
  2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Thanks!

Good to know we're trying guys out on the line!

If someone isn't working to their standards he's gonna go.

3. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    Interesting, if I remember right, there was talk about drafting him......

4. orangefinfan

orangefinfan New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Any good? :confused2:

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Pretty versatile player who can play both Guard and Tackle. 6'4", 300 pounds who has quickness and athleticism but needs time to develop.

Sceeto and The Aqua Crush like this.
  6. anlgp

he might play guard. they've been rotating ndukwe and mathis

7. USArmyFinFan

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    could develoup into an average RT, above Average guard given time

8. orangefinfan

orangefinfan New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    I like that.

9. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Possibly Carey's replacement in the future? or competition with Ndukwe and Mathis for RG this season? or both?

funkdat and anlgp like this.
  10. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Or just perhaps, there was something about him our FO liked and since the texans haven't used him they are bringing him in to see what he's all about?

Anything to do with this last draft has me believing anyone could turn into a starter sooner than later the way this new FO sees talent.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  11. anlgp

^both I would think.

12. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    This is the interesting part.

Sparano indicated that a shake-up was coming at right guard where Ike Ndukwe and Evan Mathis has been sharing snaps. The running game has stalled over the past three weeks, and Sparano hinted that veteran lineman Andy Alleman might man that spot Sunday against the Seahawks.

dolfan32323, alen1 and anlgp like this.
  13. calfishman

calfishman Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Apr 27, 2008
    If he sticks this makes the Hagan 3rd round loss a little easier to stomach. 2006 3rd rounder cut for a 2007 5th rounder.

USArmyFinFan likes this.
  14. USArmyFinFan

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    Good point, and if he can become a starter even better, something Hagen couldn't seem to do.

15. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Yeah, or even see the field at all.. :lol:

As much as the line looked really pretty darn good lately, the run game has all but stalled.

If nothing else, it lights the fire under a couple of other guys in front of him, and who knows, if they like what they see he could probably surrplant either of the two rotating in at RG right now....and actually my main man Samson hasnt looked all that stellar, any chance he can play Center?

16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think the key thing is versatility. The staff loves guys who can play in multiple positions and Sparano has repeatedly stated that. He fits that description which is why he's here IMO. Also because we are thin along the offensive line.

Everybody has been high on Alleman since last years draft when he was taken by the Saints. I think the biggest question with him was if he's a Center or a Guard. If Sparano did hint that then that could be our answer.

I think for right now, he's in just for depth, assuming he was to be activated. He could battle with Mathis and Ndukwe, possibly Alleman now as FFiC mentions above. I don't expect Vernon Carey back after this year so I'm wondering what they try to fill in his spot with. Possibly drafting a Center, moving Satele to Guard and then Donald Thomas to RT? Would that work?

17. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I think we can be assured that the new management will not settle for mediocrity on the offensive line unlike some of the former coaches and GMs did. They will keep looking and tweaking the line until it is much improved and keeps our offense in the game. Its still pretty hard to believe we completely purged our offensive line twice in what, 6 - 7 years and it still didn't get much better.

18. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I am certainly no guru on talent, BUT.............our Oline might be my biggest disappointment for me this year. I was expecting a solid running game with a much improved pass protection, maybe even a dominating run game. We got the PP improvement, but the running game has been a disappointment.

funkdat likes this.
  19. BrazForPhins

BrazForPhins From south

May 4, 2008
    Me too.

Maybe they changed the scheme? We have a new oline coach this year don't we?

20. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Good to hear about Alleman- I'd like to see him get some playing time at RG. Frye sounds like he could be a pretty solid backup LT. If I recall corrrectly he had some grat numbers and the combine. Good athlete, quick and fast for a 300 lb. guy.

21. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    didn't feel like starting a new thread for a question, but its O-line related so i'll just put it here-- is Smiley hurt? Wednesday's injury report says he sat out of practice bc of his shoulder...