1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins taking calls regarding QB M Moore

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jpep13, Aug 31, 2012.

1. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    well i couldn't imagine much more than a 7 maybe 6 for matt, but we'll take what we can get I suppose if garrard seems to be healthier. best of luck if you go elsewhere matt!

2. Mk2

Mk2 New Member

Jan 15, 2012

forget pre season the guy won 6 games as a dolphin starter under the worst of circumstances , are you really suggesting we get rid of Moore for a 6th or 7th round pick? wow...dump Garrrard , who his previous head coach would rather go with Blaine Gabbert than him and has done nothing since , before letting Moore go.

3. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Moore is pretty highly regarded around the league, and I can think of at least four teams where he'd walk on right now and start immediately.

We should get in the neighborhood of what we got for Vontae.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I don't think we get anything close to what we got for Vontae.

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  5. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Really? You think we can manage a 2nd round pick for Moore? I'm skeptical of that but hope you're right.

Bpk likes this.
  6. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    wow you think it could net this much ?

6000th post....yeah...drinks are on me

7. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    i'm suggesting that IF we get rid of moore it will be for a 6 or 7. I'm not saying we SHOULD. By all means, cut Garrard, I'd be perfectly fine with it. In fact, probably happy, but I wouldn't bet on it happening.

8. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I said should, not will. Not only is QB a more important position than CB, but Moore has arguably proven more than Vontae. Depending on the need of the team trying to trade for Moore, that should lead to similar compensation as Vontae.

Regardless, a 6th or 7th round pick is way, way too low for Matt Moore. If a team offers that, Jeff Ireland should immediately fax them a picture of his ***.

Ducken, Cass, smahtaz and 5 others like this.
  9. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    I say a 4th for Moore. Just a wild guess but a second they should sign the dotted line right now.

Edit: even a third would be great 3 3rds i might even be able to pick a good player with that many picks.

electrolyte likes this.
  10. Mk2

Mk2 New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    fair enough now a 3rd (reaching) maybe...LOL a 2nd OMG!

11. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    According to Rotoworld Denver and KC are both prime targets who want veteran backups. I could also see Arizona as a fit since their QB situation sucks.

I cant see us getting more then a 4th more then likely a 6 that can become a 5 based on snaps or something to that effect. Depends how many teams want to bid. Giants could be a fit also since David Carr (lol) is their backup.

NJFINSFAN1 and Bpk like this.
  12. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Wow, four teams who you see Moore starting for immediately. I see exactly zero teams Moore could go to at this time and be the starting QB. He is a backup QB in the NFL and that is about it. If as you state, there are four teams he could start for immediately, why didn't any of these teams offer a first or second round pick as soon as he lost the starting position in Miami to Tannehill? The reason is because no other team in the NFL sees him as anything but a backup QB, and the Dolphins will be lucky to get a sixth round pick for him.

Remember, he couldn't beat out Garrard for the starting job prior to the first preseason game and he couldn't beat out a rookie QB to even start the season. I appreciate what he did last season but, Moore is not a starting caliber QB for any team in the NFL. He is what he is, and that is a QB who is an effective backup and can perform adequately against the other bottom tier teams in the NFL. There is a reason the Panthers and Dolphins opted to draft rookie QB's in the first round after Moore was the starter for several games the previous season. Both organizations knew he was not the answer at the QB position and I think every other team in the NFL knows this same thing in regards to Moore.

13. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    LOLOLOL a second for Matt Moore. Ok.

SICK likes this.
  14. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The reason is because they either devalue the QB position, don't want to give up the compensation it would take to obtain Moore, or are incompetent. Actually, all three are pretty much different incarnations of the same reason.

You seem to fundamentally misunderstand something here; I don't think Moore is an elite QB or even a very good QB. I think he's serviceable, and I certainly wasn't as impressed or taken with his 6-7 record in 2011 as many here. But the fact remains that he is indeed well regarded around the NFL, and a lot of GMs like him. They may not need his services, but they like him. So the question then becomes, is there one team that not only likes him but would also start him? Well, that depends. Here are the four teams I'm thinking of:

1. New York Jets
    2. Kansas City Chiefs
    3. Arizona Cardinals
    4. Seattle Seahawks

So, yes, basically I'm saying that Moore would beat out Sanchez, Cassel, Skelton, and Wilson for a starting job by default. He wouldn't exactly be great, but he'd beat out those four QBs right away. Can we get anything respectable from any of these four teams? No idea. But we should try. I'd offer Moore, a 2, and a 3 to Arizona for Larry Fitzgerald just to see how they'd react.

Now, please, take the ranting somewhere else. It's pretty well documented that I don't like Jeff Ireland and you're wasting breath trying to convince me that this isn't a very good team. I'm already there.

It'd definitely be highway robbery, but that shouldn't stop Ireland from trying. If you have a player at the most important position in sports who's pretty well regarded, you should leverage that.

15. infiltrateib

infiltrateib Oh Hi Luxury Box

Mar 24, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, we're taking calls.

------------------------------------

Hey, is this Jeff Ireland?

"Yes."

We'll give a three and four for Matty Moore...

"Ok."

OMG JK JK, Dez's mom is a whoreTHEEND

<click>

Boik14, dolfan32323 and Alex13 like this.
  16. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    I would think a 4th that can escalate as high as a 2nd based on his play would be appropriate.

I would ask for a 4th that becomes a 3rd if he starts a specified number of games, and becomes a 2nd if he attains a specified set of statistics.

17. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Probably by hanging up?

Fin-Omenal, Mongo and Starry31 like this.
  18. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Then they check their fax machines, and…

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  19. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    That's backups plural.

Boik14 likes this.
  20. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think you have a very skewed perception on the value of Matt Moore around the league. And there's no way Wilson wouldn't have roasted Matt Moore in a QB competition with the way he played.

Pandarilla likes this.
  21. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Actually, I thought Moore wasn't well regarded at all until just before Hard Knocks began, when "yeah, these teams really like Moore" reports started bleeding from the woodwork. So, no, it's not skewed at all. I just happen to have read things that you haven't.

Anyway, from Ben Volin:

He'd start on the Cardinals and be the immediate backup on the Packers and Broncos.

22. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Id be very, very happy with a 4th rounder for Moore. Ok with a 5th. Any less, and Id rather wait to see if a market develops later in the year.

23. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Yeah, Cardinals are a perfect fit. He is much better than anything they've got and he could be good there with Fitzgerald.

24. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    You certainly are entitled to your opinion, but I just disagree.

Sparano is the offensive coordinator for the Jets and I would be very surprised if he has any interest in seeing the Jets trade for Moore. Like him or not, Sanchez is the starter for the Jets and I think they are satisfied with Tebow and McElroy as their 2 and 3 at this time.

Cassel certainly has not been the QB the Chiefs thought they were getting when they signed him for so much money. I just don't think the Chiefs see Moore as an upgrade over Cassel. I certainly don't see them trading anything higher then a sixth round pick for Moore, if they do have any interest in him.

The Cardinals are the one team in the NFL who most needs an upgrade over their present starting QB. I don't see Skelton being the starter going into next season, but I also don't see the Cardinals giving up anything but a 6th or 7th round pick for Moore. I think the Cardinals will see how Skeldon plays this year and if he isn't the QB of the future for them. I think they will take a QB in the first round of the 2013 draft. They will probably need to hold on to their higher draft picks in order to move up in next years draft and I doubt they see Moore as a QB who can come in and play better than Skelton at this point in the season. Skelton at least knows the Cardinals offense and Moore never appeared to grasp the new offense the Dolphins implemented this off season.

I think Wilson will have a better rookie season than Tannehill. Not because Tannehill won't be as effective as Wilson eventually, I just think the Seahawks have better offensive talent right now than the Dolphins have. The Seahawks also have a lot of money tied up in Flynn. So I just don't see Moore being of any interest to the Seahawks , even for a seventh round draft pick.

I think it is more likely Moore will go to a team with an established QB already on the team. The Broncos, Packers, Steelers, or teams in this category are teams which may be interested in trading for Moore. He would provide a solid backup in an emergency, but he wouldn't be expected to be the starter for these type of teams. I believe one of these upper tier teams might be willing to give up a sixth or seventh round pick for Moore, but I would be totally surprised if any team in the NFL offers the Dolphins a fifth round pick or better for him.

I have no idea why you brought up Ireland in your comments, I certainly didn't say anything about him in this thread. All my comments were directed in response to what the value of Moore should be if a trade is made for him. Your the one ranting right now, not me.

CWBIII likes this.
  25. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Trade him to Denver for a 5th and Eric Decker

26. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    If we get 2 picks for him, we have a DOZEN picks next year. Could even we **** that up?

jpep13 likes this.
  27. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Lol that would be ridiculous robbery.

Unlucky 13, CWBIII and Stitches like this.
  28. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I actually agree with you 100% on this. The only team I could see giving up a 5th at the moment would be Arizona depending on how they like the rest of their roster.

29. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    I think we deserve more than a 5th because he plays the quarterback position.

30. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Which is fine, except you used your disagreement as a platform to launch into a rant that was based entirely on misconception.

31. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I think he's worth more, but teams greatly overvalue picks in my opinion. In reality a 4th round pick has a very slim chance of becoming an above average player or even an average starter. Yet teams shy away from trading these picks for proven veterans because they feel they can "hit a home run" so to speak in the draft.

Bpk likes this.
  32. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    More Volin:

IMO, this happens only if Moore is traded. Garrard would be the emergency QB in that case.

Stitches likes this.
  33. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Any pick after the second round is a low chance of a long term starter. I'd gladly trade a pick for a high caliber starter.

Alex44 likes this.
  34. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Actually any pick in the entire draft is unlikley to be a long-term starter, even in the first round believe it or not.

Alex44 and Stitches like this.
  35. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Exactly. I still think you can find solid rotational players and starters along your offensive and defensive lines in the third to fourth round, and sometimes a guy slips to you that you really don't expect (Lamar Miller) but especially from the 4th round on these guys are project players. I never understand why teams are so gun shy with their picks in trades. Maybe it has to do with how big of an event the draft has become somehow.

36. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Matt Moore for James Jones.
    Matt Moore for either Andre Roberts or Early Doucet.
    Either of those makes sense.

Unlucky 13 and Pandarilla like this.
  37. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    Not what you read but what you see. We all know that.

38. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    If we could finagle Doucet and a late pick id do a jig

39. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    i would trade matt moore for any wr reciever that is better than our wrs.