1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins Training Camp 2014

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan40, Jul 24, 2014.

1. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Mike Goodson would indeed have been a nice low-money signing, which is what I proposed. The potential reward was great. As for Mallett, though I'm sure you'd like to pretend otherwise, I never said he was sure to become a good quarterback. I merely said that he's a 1st round talent being knocked for issues that aren't likely to manifest in the NFL (which they haven't, at all) and that Miami is so bereft of talent at that all-important position that if they're not trying to get better at that position they're simply wasting everyone's time. Which they were. When asked what percentages I would assign to Mallett's becoming a good starting quarterback my answer was around 40% (maybe 50%? between 40-50%, I'm having trouble remembering)...which is about what you expect out of a 1st round prospect at that position. Technically speaking, if he doesn't become a good NFL quarterback, I will have been correct in assessing that there's a better chance than not that he doesn't become a franchise guy.

But really this isn't about analysis and whether our theories are proven correct or incorrect. This is about how we treat other people on the board. Simple fact, you're disrespectful, rude and insulting to basically anyone who dares disagree with you or have even a modestly negative opinion about the Dolphins. And LBsFinest actually brought up an interesting example where you went on the attack, going personally after someone (myself) over an 8-8 prediction. It's very typical.

2. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    After facing Wake all week, I'm sure James was happy to face Fede. Good for his confidence if nothing else. Be a different story if James was losing battles against the lessers.

3. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    [video=youtube;7pdWAcK6Eh8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pdWAcK6Eh8[/video]

4. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

He didn't call him correct?

5. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Mike Goodson is a gun toting, drug running thug. He would not have been a good addition to any NFL team. Ryan Mallett is not, was not, not will he ever be, considered worthy of a 15th overall pick. It's OK to be wrong bro, no shame in it.

I predicted we would win 10 games last year, I was wrong. Had we beaten Buffalo and NY to end the year, hardly out of the question, we would have been 10-6. Had we swept Buffalo in two games vs their backup QB instead of being swept in those games we would have been 10-6. Oh well, no excuses, I was wrong. Again, no shame, but at least I can admit it.

OTOH you seem incapable of admitting you were wrong about much of anything. You lecture others about rudeness when you're notorious for being rude and condescending towards those that disagree with you. I ain't mad, I'm used to it. That's your personality and it's not gonna change, it's a waste of time to even discuss it.

What is unfortunate is that you'd use the words of a known TROLL to buttress your POV. That only detracts from whatever point you were trying to make. Surely you have enough awareness to understand that.

Hopefully we can get back on topic now...

6. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Boners.That is all.

CitizenSnips and gilv13 like this.
  7. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    One thing I would like to point out though, something you mentioned before. James is really good at blocking top college pass rushers. Fede doesn't have the knowledge gained from experience of going against the best to beat him

8. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
  9. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    True. But he was a 7th round pick, so significant raise is a relative term. Take the salary of your average nickel CB and compare it to what he's made the past two years.

10. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

It's funny...watching some of the banter back and forth..I think everyone forgets in the end we all want our team to do well. There's just a broad spectrum as to how we all as fans look at where we stand. How would you characterize yourself as a fan..and be honest? I'll go first. I'm a homer..no doubt. It's not that I don't recognize we have issues..and I certainly have concerns...but I don't usually believe that past history will dictate where we are..and how we will do. That being said..we are an 8-8 team until we prove otherwise.

11. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    I honestly stopped believing this a long time ago. I'm fairly certain some people prefer to see this team lose.

12. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I don't believe so...but I do believe some are more concerned with being right. There are a few on the boards here that fall apart the first time we don't convert a first down...and to be honest...When you want your team to do well..and no you gotta listen to "I told you so.."..makes me feel like slapping someone. I think the few on this board who have a track record of only being heard from when things go bad...end up painting anyone who may be critical of the team in that light.

13. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indeed. This forum is overrun with people who'd rather predict the worst and be right vs being optimistic and risking disappointment.

14. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    i think it's more of a coping mechanism. Actively root for the team to suck, say you saw it coming from a mile away, ergo you're always right and in the event that you're wrong, who cares? The teams winning right? Never invest yourself in them so there's no chance of disappointment. It's really understandable, it's getting to have your cake and eat it too. But it's annoying.

15. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I miss the23rd (?), he just wanted to use as many colors as he could within his free form poetry.

Honestly, I usually gloss over the people who are going Yay or Nay, and look for the people are who are trying to educate/inform, perhaps enlightening me to stats, sources, and analysis that I would have otherwise never known.

Pandarilla likes this.
  16. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Thank you.

Is there a word that's the superlative of annoying? Or do I have to go with very, very, very annoying?

17. keithjackson

Dec 1, 2007
    I remember when I would office prediction pools on the games, I spent a while always picking the Dolphins to lose so that at some level it was always a win-win, regardless of the outcome.

18. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

A real fan is the polar opposite.

jdallen1222 likes this.
  19. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Maybe that is just how they enjoy themselves. Some people aren't happy if they don't have something to complain about. Most of the people who like to continually complain about the team, tend to disappear when things go well. They go from posting all of the time to barely posting at all.

20. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    A real fan is anything the person wants them to be.

While I do make fun of people like jw and lb for being not real Dolphin fans, I do it with a grain of salt.

If that is how they get their rocks off, then so be it. If they just want to see the team lose and be happy to tell people, "I told you so," that doesn't really make them less of a fan than someone who owns a Miami Dolphins tub and writes 16-0 in the bubbles everynight during his bath.

People are different and show their fandom in different ways. I like being optimistic because that is how I get the most fun. I don't care if I am disappointed because that is the fun of being a sports fan. Going through those annoying lows to get to amazing highs.

evz likes this.
  21. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Are any of them? At least at this very moment. Maybe Clay is, but id still like to see him play at a high level again before offering s deal.

Pandarilla likes this.
  22. keithjackson

Dec 1, 2007
    What's the deal with Billy Turner? I'll admit, I thought he'd be doing a lot better than he has. Heck I wouldn't have been surprised if he was starting, and I remember some posters thought he had the most upside of all our draft picks. Today's reports weren't that positive of him. Is he going to need a redshirt year? Are his problems mainly leverage, and how easily/quickly can that be learned? Perhaps switching to guard not the best trajectory for the young man...

It's been a couple days since training camp started and I want perfect results!

23. PhinFan1968

No, it literally doesn't fit the definition of the word. WTF is the use of even being a "fan" of a team if all you can do is piss and moan the entire time? Why wouldn't you do something else instead? Just doesn't make any sense. Self-defeatist, at best.

I'd never expect, predict or assume 16-0 but I'll be damned if I nit-pick every damn thing the team does that I don't agree with, 'cuz I'm DAMN sure not always right...nobody is. If anybody is so damn smart they know all the answers and can make all the right personnel selections, hirings, etc, why the hell are they pissing and moaning on a message board?

GMJohnson likes this.
  24. PhinFan1968

Ya it appears he's having a rough time immediately transitioning into the NFL game. From what I understand though, his problems are coachable. Will contribute later in the season maybe? No idea.

25. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    English is a live language. Words change meanings and add meanings all of the time.

26. PhinFan1968

OK so some are "slang fans," or "misinterpreted fans" then. Fair enough.

27. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    This is the first week he is having real contact with all of the things he has learned. He is physical and athletic enough, however he doesn't have hand placement and leverage down. Two of the most important things when it comes to blocking in the NFL.

28. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    There had been plenty of disappointment for all Dolphin fans over the past decade. So it isn't that some fans are predicting the worst. We are merely being realistic in regards to our expectations for this team in 2014.

The reality is that if the team finishes at 500 or below as many of us expect it will, we won't be disappointed because that is basically what we expect from this team based on the many areas which they still need to improve in, before they become a legitimate playoff team.

So basically if this team surprises us and makes the playoff, we can enjoy the season and we will realize this team was better than we thought it could be. I have had many disappointments in my long life, and I will assure you that if the Dolphins have another losing season,it won't make my top 100 lists of major disappointments I will have experienced over my lifetime.

Football is merely a game and this forum is all about individuals expressing their opinions on what they think might happen with this team during the coming season. Some individuals just don't agree with the opinions of those who think this could be another losing season for the Dolphins. Instead of just accepting theses opposing viewpoints, it appears you would rather complain that these individuals are whining or not being optimistic enough to suit you. I certainly don't get on here and complain about those fans who seem too optimistic about this team. I may not agree with these individuals, but they are certainly entitled to their own opinion.

If your worst disappointment in life is the Dolphins having another bad season. You should consider your self very fortunate.

Eop05, eltos_lightfoot and mullingan like this.
  29. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Another reason to root for the team to do well!!!

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  30. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Perhaps you missed the fact that he didn't play against top level competition in college. He is now trying to adjust to playing against the best defensive players in the entire nation in the NFL.

He is a big man who might eventually develop into a good NFL offensive lineman, but he has a lot of learning against quality players every day before that happens.

Hopefully he can take this season to learn how to be an effective player in the NFL and I think he will probably do that by starting the season as a backup and maybe develop enough over the course of the season that he gets some playing time late in the season.

I view him as this seasons Dallas Thomas. A player not yet ready for prime time but maybe can still become a player down the road. Of course I am still waiting for Thomas to show that he can take his game to the next level.

31. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Some of us just honestly believe the team won't be particularly good.

We won 8 games in 2013 with a good pass defense and an underrated quarterback (IMO) who was asked to make up for a lack of running game, lack of great passing weapons, and lack of protection. I think our weapons got deeper but not really better. I think our protection got better at LT, and is nothing but question marks everywhere else. I don't see where the team improved on defense at all. I also anticipate a tougher schedule.

The only chance for optimism I see here is: "The OL will get it together and play better. Bill Lazor will be a much better coordinator than Mike Sherman. The WR unit is deeper and won't suffer so much when Gibson and Hartline go down."

I think we are once again asking Ryan Tannehill to make up for a lot of deficiencies on this team. Perhaps I'm a fanboy (I don't think I'm a fanboy), but it's just stunning to me that anyone looks at this team and says "#17 is the problem." I think #17 is the only reason this team has a shot in hell to do anything this year. And I'm not sold he's making that jump, which means I am not optimistic.

But that's just me.

jw3102 and Steve-Mo like this.
  32. keithjackson

Dec 1, 2007
    Does anyone know if we can follow the scrimmage tmrw on a radio or website?

33. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Obviously you must think that those of us who aren't as optimistic as you are, want the Dolphins to have another losing season.

Nothing could be farther from the truth. In fact I would love it if the Dolphins have a winning season and make the playoffs.

I was a season ticket holder for over 40 years and have attended over 30 away games during that time. In fact if I had not moved to Hawaii this past January, I would have purchased season tickets this coming season. I certainly didn't purchase tickets or fly all over the country to watch the Dolphins lose. I want them to be a success and to be a consistent playoff team again.

The fact is that I have stated numerous times on this forum that I still feel the Dolphins are two years away from being a solid football team. Hopefully they will prove me wrong this season, but if they should end up with another losing season, I'm certainly not going to come on here and berate you or anyone else who are predicting a winning season for this team. I want you to be right about this team and I would love nothing more than to be completely wrong about this team once again suffering through another 500 or below season.

I thought going into last season that the Dolphins would probably start out 1-4 at best. When they started out winning their first three games, I certainly didn't hide from posting on this forum. Instead I came on the forum and stated that I was wrong and the team was much better than I thought it would be prior to the season starting. I was happy to see that I had been wrong about the team. I certainly enjoyed attending games last year and I wanted the Dolphins to go to the playoffs. Unfortunately, the season didn't end up on a positive note.

My view of this coming season has nothing to do with me wanting this team to fail. I just have my doubts that Tannehill can take that next step up to be the type of QB who can take his team to the playoffs.
    I also think it is going to take much of the season for the OL to jell into a consistent unit. The RB position remains a huge question mark to me.

On the defense, I question how effective this LB group will be in the regular season. I also am concerned about the play of the secondary against all the top offenses the Dolphins will face this season.

I just think there are too many questions in regards to this team to believe they will have a winning season. That doesn't mean I will be right in my assessment of this team. If Tannehill takes that next step and the OL comes together quickly, the RB's will also be helped by these improvements.

Perhaps Misi will be a stud at the middle LB and Ellerbe and Wheeler will be able to play like they did in 2012, instead of last year.

In the secondary, maybe Jones will get over his down year in 2012 and Finnegan will be the player he was four years ago. Delmas can stay healthy for an entire season and the young players in the secondary will step up and show they deserve playing time during the regular season.

I always hope that the team comes together and they make the playoffs. That is what I want to see happen every year with this team. That just doesn't prevent me from looking at this roster at this time and coming to the realization that it is going to be very hard for them to have a winning season this year. I wish that wasn't the way I see it, but right now, it is.

34. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I agree. Some people just enjoy focusing on the negative. It's just what they like to talk about. I just don't enjoy such conversation much. It's not that I'm very optimistic. My prediction last season was between 7 and 9 wins. I'd like to think that my read on the team is pretty balanced. But if you have an 8-8 team you basically have as much good as bad. You could spend most of your time posting about the elements that suck or you can spend that time posting about the good. If you don't think there's any good then frankly you're being unrealistic. Some posters seem to spend most of their time here chasing every thread to say "Ireland sucks" or whomever the scapegoat of the day is. I personally find that boring. Unless the poster actually brings some insight or new information(in my experience that rarely happens), so I generally just end up putting those types on ignore. That's just not particularly entertaining to me. There are things I complain about of course, but I try not to mention those things in every single thread. I'm not saying they or others can't find that entertaining. I'm sure some do. I have also noticed that some posters only make negative posts and disappear after wins (unless they can find some negative to complain about even then). To each his own.

35. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I thought Matthews and finnegan would step up, seems they have..that's really grealt for our depth.

Seems like Jamar is ballin as well, for him to be our fourth corner is serious depth..cause it seems like Jimmy Wilson is becoming something.of a player.

36. PhinFan1968

I also have to mention Delmas...he's bringing leadership and excitement to the squad too.

The secondary is a lot of the reason I'm so excited about this season. There should be some serious ball-hawkin' goin' on.

PhinishLine and GMJohnson like this.
  37. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    And I'm really OK with that because that means we're doing well as a team. It sucks to lose guys, but I'd rather lose them because they're playing so well and we have a team stocked with talent that's winning games.

38. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    And that's totally fair DFD. I take no issue with optimistic fans. Not at all. I've said many times that it's nice to read because it gives me a jolt at times.

I simply don't have a ton of faith in this team, coaching staff, personnel department etc. And I think there are many reasons that's a fair point of view also.

I really just hope they win, so that I'm wrong and it's a moot point.

39. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

NDSU did play some games against BCS teams, such as Kansas State to open last season. The team and Turner did very well.

40. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Oh man. So much hinges on the OL.

RevRick and Fin-Omenal like this.