Dolphins Training Camp 2014

1525 replies

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Aug 5, 2014, 04:07 PM

"MrClean wrote:

What do ya think the odds are he can start by week 1? 50/50?

Lets see, were a little over a month out...hmmm, from what I've seen, I would say 0 to 25% , every game after that I would raise it 25 %..I would probabaly bet some cash on a return right after the bye, game 5.

Aug 5, 2014, 04:13 PM

I'm not nearly as down on Omar as most people as I've gotten to know him better over the years but sometimes it's frustrating.

First off it's absolutely amazing how consistent it is that his opinion is chided on places like here and elsewhere online when he doesn't say something that jives with what people want to hear, but then when he says something that supports all the sudden he's cited like "See, even Omar agrees with me!"

Second it's frustrating he's got such a broad platform and that makes it all the more impactful when he shoots from the hip and gets it completely wrong. I mean we all do that sometimes, but not all of us are always in front of an audience of 37,000 people when we do it.

Latest incident is he's trying to talk about what this offense brings to the table and he starts chiding people for thinking the Eagles offensive line is good and says basically the same offensive line gave up 48 sacks in 2012 and the only difference was the offense.

Sorry, but no. That line featured guys like Dallas Reynolds, King Dunlap, Dennis Kelly, Jake Scott, Demetrius Bell and Danny Watkins taking up 3958 of 5795 snaps. That means only 30% of the OL snaps in 2012 were taken by players who were even still on the team in 2013. And the thing to keep in mind about Todd Herremans' 543 snaps in 2012 is he played them at right tackle, whereas he played right guard in 2013 and many believe that to be a better spot for him (hence their drafting Lane Johnson). So really Evan Mathis was the only guy kept on from 2012 to 2013.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Aug 5, 2014, 04:15 PM

"byroan wrote:

@chrisperk 1m Finnegan another INT...wow...think that's five in last five practices for him, something like that.

@JamesWalkerNFL 1m
Cortland Finnegan is on a roll. He gets his second pick of the day. This time he takes QB Matt Moore's throw to the house in passing drills.

@JamesWalkerNFL 44s
INT total so far: #Dolphins CB Cortland Finnegan (two), CB Brent Grimes (one).

We'd be in a great spot if Finnegan returns to his old self.

some people called it false bravado, but sometimes context is everything, the way a man describes his past transgressions, the confidence in what he's actually saying and how he's saying it, certain gestures, expressions, can mean a lot..for me all offseason I said he would return to form because I felt confident that he was sure that his body was healthy and was also confident when he talked about the reasons why his play fell off in st Louie..

Aug 5, 2014, 04:20 PM

"ckparrothead wrote:

I'm not nearly as down on Omar as most people as I've gotten to know him better over the years but sometimes it's frustrating.

First off it's absolutely amazing how consistent it is that his opinion is chided on places like here and elsewhere online when he doesn't say something that jives with what people want to hear, but then when he says something that supports all the sudden he's cited like "See, even Omar agrees with me!"

Second it's frustrating he's got such a broad platform and that makes it all the more impactful when he shoots from the hip and gets it completely wrong. I mean we all do that sometimes, but not all of us are always in front of an audience of 37,000 people when we do it.

Latest incident is he's trying to talk about what this offense brings to the table and he starts chiding people for thinking the Eagles offensive line is good and says basically the same offensive line gave up 48 sacks in 2012 and the only difference was the offense.

Sorry, but no. That line featured guys like Dallas Reynolds, King Dunlap, Dennis Kelly, Jake Scott, Demetrius Bell and Danny Watkins taking up 3958 of 5795 snaps. That means only 30% of the OL snaps in 2012 were taken by players who were even still on the team in 2013. And the thing to keep in mind about Todd Herremans' 543 snaps in 2012 is he played them at right tackle, whereas he played right guard in 2013 and many believe that to be a better spot for him (hence their drafting Lane Johnson). So really Evan Mathis was the only guy kept on from 2012 to 2013.

I've actually grown to like Omar. He still gets annoying and arrogant but I do appreciate his work, and he can be funny.

No one, and I mean NO ONE is worse than Andrew Abramson.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Aug 5, 2014, 04:24 PM

"ckparrothead wrote:

I'm not nearly as down on Omar as most people as I've gotten to know him better over the years but sometimes it's frustrating.

First off it's absolutely amazing how consistent it is that his opinion is chided on places like here and elsewhere online when he doesn't say something that jives with what people want to hear, but then when he says something that supports all the sudden he's cited like "See, even Omar agrees with me!"

That makes sense. It goes furthering the chiding his opinion. "Even this idiot who barely knows what he talks about agrees with me!"

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Aug 5, 2014, 04:24 PM

Am I wrong to think counting interceptions in practice is silly? I mean, most of this stuff is trial and error and trying to get the timing right and everyone on the same page.

I guess it's too early for me to really be worried about what's happening with the offense. These guys are all learning a new system, including Tannehill who has never known a different system.

Aug 5, 2014, 04:25 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

That makes sense. It goes furthering the chiding his opinion. "Even this idiot who barely knows what he talks about agrees with me!"

And then when you stop to think about it, you realize that the idiot who barely knows what he talks about is arguing the same thing you're arguing...and maybe you should be arguing something different.

That would be the rational way to approach it.

The irrational way to approach it is to constantly chide his opinions and point out how stupid and wrong he is but then cite him as supporting evidence when he agrees with you.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Aug 5, 2014, 04:28 PM

"ckparrothead wrote:

And then when you stop to think about it, you realize that the idiot who barely knows what he talks about is arguing the same thing you're arguing...and maybe you should be arguing something different.

That would be the rational way to approach it.

The irrational way to approach it is to constantly chide his opinions and point out how stupid and wrong he is but then cite him as supporting evidence when he agrees with you.

I don't see it that way. It is perfectly rational because even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Aug 5, 2014, 04:33 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

I don't see it that way. It is perfectly rational because even a broken clock is right twice a day.

An interesting, but misdirected rationale. A broken clock being right twice a day would be a rationale you use to explain how you can possibly be correct when someone who is never correct agrees with you. That's when you say, well even a broken clock is right twice a day.

That's not the situation here. The situation here would be you insisting that it's 3 o'clock, and then pointing to that broken clock which says 3 o'clock and saying see it says 3 o'clock right there. Except you know that clock is broken, and so you know the fact the clock says 3 o'clock does not make it any more likely that it is actually 3 o'clock. In fact one could argue it makes it less likely, since that clock is only correct twice a day and therefore what are the chances right now is one of those two times?

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

vt_dolfanvt_dolfanSupporter
Aug 5, 2014, 04:37 PM

"Rocky Raccoon wrote:

Am I wrong to think counting interceptions in practice is silly? I mean, most of this stuff is trial and error and trying to get the timing right and everyone on the same page.

I guess it's too early for me to really be worried about what's happening with the offense. These guys are all learning a new system, including Tannehill who has never known a different system.

In my opinion...yes counting Ints in practice is beyond silly
Games are all that counts folks. Dear lord we analyze players to death during the games..to do that for practice is a practice in insanity.

"The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning"
Pele

HEheylookatmeForum Veteran
Aug 5, 2014, 04:38 PM

I think a lot of Omar Kelly's analysis is poor, but I agree that it's silly that people selectively hold him up when they dont like what he has to say. I agree that Abramson is pretty bad, too.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Aug 5, 2014, 04:42 PM

"ckparrothead wrote:

An interesting, but misdirected rationale. A broken clock being right twice a day would be a rationale you use to explain how you can possibly be correct when someone who is never correct agrees with you. That's when you say, well even a broken clock is right twice a day.

That's not the situation here. The situation here would be you insisting that it's 3 o'clock, and then pointing to that broken clock which says 3 o'clock and saying see it says 3 o'clock right there. Except you know that clock is broken, and so you know the fact the clock says 3 o'clock does not make it any more likely that it is actually 3 o'clock. In fact one could argue it makes it less likely, since that clock is only correct twice a day and therefore what are the chances right now is one of those two times?

It is not rational for someone in Omar's position to be "never correct". Unless you just want to be disagree just to disagree, it stands to reason even if he is bad at his job, that sometimes he is on point. Even a blind referee makes the right call, every once and a while.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Aug 5, 2014, 04:43 PM

"heylookatme wrote:

I think a lot of Omar Kelly's analysis is poor, but I agree that it's silly that people selectively hold him up when they dont like what he has to say. I agree that Abramson is pretty bad, too.

I want him to move to ESPN so he can be the personality he wants to be.

Man I miss Joe Schad.

I can't believe it has been 10 years since he left. I am so old.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Aug 5, 2014, 04:45 PM

Abramson is a good person. He is working for a paper that has a fraction of the resources at its disposal when it comes to sources and clout, getting the right people to talk to you, etc. It's hard to compete with the Herald and Sun Sentinel that way. I think sometimes he makes it worse by trusting sources that he should know not to trust. As a result he's got some very bad misfires over the last year or two.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

Aug 5, 2014, 04:47 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

It is not rational for someone in Omar's position to be "never correct". Unless you just want to be disagree just to disagree, it stands to reason even if he is bad at his job, that sometimes he is on point. Even a blind referee makes the right call, every once and a while.

Again, why would you want to cite a source that is SOMETIMES correct as support for your opinion? You just admitted that the odds are if your opinion is aligned with this source's opinion, you're going to be wrong most of the time...because that source is only right SOMETIMES.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

MrCleanMrCleanSupporter
Aug 5, 2014, 04:47 PM

"Disgustipate wrote:

I think that flexibility is more academic than it is practical when the guy doesn't appear to be the primary back-up at any position. He appears to be firmly behind Jason Fox at Tackle, behind whichever of Shelley Smith/Dallas Thomas isn't starting on a given day, and Satele at Center.

He's played like a solid starter at times, but I'd also argue that he's got a tendency to have some catastrophically bad games as well which aren't desirable from a backup.

When you usually dress only 7 linemen on game day, versatility is very important. Garner having experience and being moderately functional at all 5 spots, makes him an ideal backup on game day.

“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Aug 5, 2014, 04:51 PM

"vt_dolfan wrote:

In my opinion...yes counting Ints in practice is beyond silly
Games are all that counts folks. Dear lord we analyze players to death during the games..to do that for practice is a practice in insanity.

Be careful here because essentially what you just said invalidates the entire idea of having two guys compete for a job in camp.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

MrCleanMrCleanSupporter
Aug 5, 2014, 04:51 PM

"Philbinfan wrote:

I'm worried about the people who are worried about the people who are worried about Tannehill.

I'm not worried about anybody being worried about Tannehill or being worried about Tannehil himself. What's gonna happen is gonna happen. Sit back and take it as it comes. No sense in anyone agonizing over Tannehill having an off day or agonizing over the fans who do choose to concern themselves with it.

“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

MrCleanMrCleanSupporter
Aug 5, 2014, 04:53 PM

"SICK wrote:

I hope you come back after 2 strong practices and tell us how you're excited and optimistic.

We can't use one or two practices, with multiple weapons hurt, in a new offense, in the first week of August and read too deep into it, one way or another. Good or bad.

Why be concerned about a practice we can't even see, based on tweets made by media guys we often spend most of the year criticizing?

“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Aug 5, 2014, 04:57 PM

"ckparrothead wrote:

Again, why would you want to cite a source that is SOMETIMES correct as support for your opinion? You just admitted that the odds are if your opinion is aligned with this source's opinion, you're going to be wrong most of the time...because that source is only right SOMETIMES.

Because it is so obvious, that even the person who is SOMTIMES correct can see it.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Aug 5, 2014, 04:57 PM

Btw, Tannehill had a huge read option run for 6.

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Aug 5, 2014, 04:58 PM

Remember what the wildcat did for our run game, our team, our win total..

Run the freakin formation at least three times a game.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Aug 5, 2014, 04:59 PM

"vt_dolfan wrote:

In my opinion...yes counting Ints in practice is beyond silly
Games are all that counts folks. Dear lord we analyze players to death during the games..to do that for practice is a practice in insanity.

I am surprised that no one is mentioning the fact that the defensive backs are actually catching the ball. Dropped interceptions have been a problem for the last 5 years or so.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Aug 5, 2014, 05:04 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

Because it is so obvious, that even the person who is SOMTIMES correct can see it.

Which is ironic and irrational. His opinion is to be trashed and chided when he doesn't agree with you, and used as support when he does agree with you.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Aug 5, 2014, 05:06 PM

"ckparrothead wrote:

Which is ironic and irrational. His opinion is to be trashed and chided when he doesn't agree with you, and used as support when he does agree with you.

The opposite side of your argument is that there is a source ALWAYS 100% correct and that's who we should all listen too.