1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins Training Camp 2014

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan40, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    There are plenty of instances of college teams not coming out firing, not to mention that is the reason most of the bigger teams open up with inferior competition/out of conference games.

jdallen1222 likes this.
  2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    for what?, no coordinator in their right mind is using their actually scheme acumen so what's there to adjust?

To me, I think it should be about working on the most basic principles of the game keeping it as vanilla as possible..

None of the reasons they cite makes any sense to me...

"Well we want them to learn to cool down at half and rev themselves back up" .... That's a pretty funny one..

3. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I see plenty of competitive first games so there's that.

4. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Sure, it can be a barometer of what you might see, didn't say it couldn't, doesn't mean I think playing your starters in a meaningless game until the third quarter is smart or really necessary.

5. jdallen1222

jdallen1222 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl

Their not gonna go in there showing anything they dont wanna show, but they still go in with a game plan, and make adjustments at the half. Its the dress rehearsal, last call to iron out any communication flaws or anything else that they wanna address before the regular season starts.

6. jdallen1222

jdallen1222 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl

Not to mention that you cannot compare the two. There is a lot more preparation that goes into building a professional team. You are playing the best of the best so you cannot get by on physical talent alone.

Stitches likes this.
  7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Know you will not buy this off hand, but to me, the likely starters HAVE to get used to the contact and recovery cycle of first string starter game speed and violence to the body.

We've went round and round about how OL and DT's have to carry extra weight to cushion blows, that same sort of hardness is one of the things that seperates body builders from pro athletes

8. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    We, along with most teams tend to play at least 1 series into the 3rd quarter in the 2nd last preseason game.

9. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm sorry dude, I call BS...you really think these pros need a dress rehearsal..if your not using every once of your football acumen then you really aren't trying to win the game, so there's really no need for adjustments..it's all unnecessary is all I'm saying..these coaches can iron out whatever they want to communication wise with the 2nd and third stringers..

10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    sure, the way nick Saban or urban Meyer runs things is so different than chip Kelly or joe ohilbin run there's..

Once again, don't take what I said out if context, I'm talking about starters playing in to the third quarter..not sure what your talking about.

11. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Ok, I guess 18 to 22 year olds can handle it but the pros can't..last time I checked college kids play every week.

Your giving them the fourth week off..mostly risk less reward imo..but everyone is doing so everyone has to do it I guess..

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007

first week of college football sucks.

A lot of college teams pick super week teams the first week for this reason.

Stitches likes this.
  13. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I just saw some video footage of Brent grimes in practice...lb for Lb, the best athlete in the game..

Wow is all I can say, what a great signing by hickey for not just looking at the age and the Theories behind it, wow..

He is a no doubt about it "great football player."

14. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Jeff Ireland was the guy who signed him though. Shouldn't he get credit?

Stitches likes this.
  15. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Again Deej...I use Brady as an example. Hes already lost a season due to knee injury. If their was one person who might not want to suit up much during preseason...and actually have the ability to hit the ground running in Game 1....its Brady, and yet he wants to play as much as he can in game 3. I think alot of it is mindset, which so much about football is. His mindset is he is going to outwork everyone else....not worry about injury. Hard to argue with success.

16. vt_dolfan

Ugh..and it pains me that...WVU plays Alabama in week one ...on National Television, and we are the super weak team you described. God if we just had a QB.

17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Ironically the one year where Brady didn't play in any preseason games was the year he tore his ACL in the first quarter of the first game of the season.

I personally think it's important for these players to begin to get their bodies and their minds going into their weekly cycles before the season starts. I don't think the first real live fire experience of the year should be in a regular season game.

vt_dolfan likes this.
  18. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Every single player I have ever spoken to swear by the necessity of the 3rd preseason game..but they all think they can do with just 2 preseason games.

djphinfan likes this.
  19. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I believe so as well.

20. vt_dolfan

Especially when we are in year one of a timing based brand new offense. Im actually suprised we havent seen more of Tannehill and the starters then we have.

21. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Having to do with the season; Donald Stephenson suspended 4 games for PEDs. Wonder what that means for our pass rush. Chiefs lost Jon Asamoah and Geoff Schwartz as well. Dwayne Bowe is suspended too, right? Must focus on stopping Charles and a scrambling Smith.

22. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    practice today, wheeler (thumb), billy turner (foot) will miss multiple practices

23. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    That ain't good.

@chrisperk 1m G Billy Turner has walking boot on left foot.

Too bad it isn't Dallas Thomas.

24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think Omar said that Turner has turf toe.

That's a really tough break for the guy because he was playing well enough to start.

25. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    that sucks bigtime, i hope he is ready in 13 days

26. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Yes, absolutely.

27. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Yeah I'm talking about a universal change across the board..I just think it's all to risky and not enough reward..

Two games is enough like sec mentioned..if certain players want more reps to fine tune their game against other guys who aren't playing 100 percent then tell them to piss off..

28. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007

But aren't you in favor of practice scrimmages against other teams?

29. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Brent Grimes, Chad Pennington and Randy Starks were probably the best free agent signings Jeff Ireland ever had in Miami.

Unless someone can think of another free agent signing that stands out equally with those guys. I can't think of one. I think those three are head and shoulders above the rest unless you consider Cameron Wake.

But I think it's been discussed that even though Ireland and the pro scouting department wanted Wake, it was Bill Parcells that successfully recruited him. He had like two handfuls of teams recruiting him at the time. Parcells is the one that got him to sign, this according to Wake himself (as per Omar Kelly).

30. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Interesting.

You've maintained for quite awhile that Ireland had GM as his title so all the bad be associated with him, regardless of Parcells intrusion, but now Wake isn't his get because it was actually Parcells. I guess that's a one way door.

slickj101 likes this.
  31. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    He did play with turf toe

32. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Goodness... who gives a crap about Ireland... we have been mediocre for years, and we won a division title when Brady went down... that's nothing to rave about folks. Enough with the Ireland crap.

We're ranked 6th overall in active playoff droughts, and ranked 6th in playoff win droughts. And we would be Top 3 in playoff active drought if it wasn't for that fluke 2008 season.

So what does this mean? We've been one of the worst franchises in the NFL for the past decade and a half. And Ireland played a huge role on that.

reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...onsecutive_post-season_losses_in_team_history

77FinFan and dolfan22 like this.
  33. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I guess Mike Wallace had a rough day today. Four drops.

But on the plus side, Armando notes that Tannehill and Wallace stayed after practice to throw and catch with one another. He said that's the first time he's seen that in a long time.

FinNasty likes this.
  34. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    yeah I like it, because it's an option, but if it was banned league wide I'm down with it..

I just think it's all fluff when it comes to the starters..I love it because I get to study our players four times four weeks before the season starts, but I think if you had two preseason games and the same amount of practice then that's all you really need.

35. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Lamar and Moreno shared first team reps.

Clay was moving around well according to Omar.

I'm not mentioning this one.

Tweets from these dudes lack so much insight..

36. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Here's some good news.

Miami did NOT come in the top 5 in a recent poll done among the players that asked them, "The only way I'd play for the ______ would be if they doubled my salary".

Oakland Raiders #1 with 23%. Followed by the Buffalo Bills at 19%, then the Cleveland Browns at 16% and Jacksonville Jaguars at 9%.

Surprisingly, the Green Bay Packers came in fifth at 6%! Evidently a certain amount of players just truly hate the cold, regardless of how good the team is.

37. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    the one issue I have is not that players won't come here, it's what happens when they do.

heylookatme likes this.
  38. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    That's still surprising to me, then again 80 years later it's still a mind**** to everyone that some town called Green Bay in freaking Wisconsin has an NFL team. :lol:

39. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Hey did you see the subtle change to the stadium, the whole club level was painted our aqua, cool, there's was no orange on the top of the club like it was before, I knew when I was watching something was different, looked good, get rid of all that orange but just a little and we'll be good to go when it comes to color inside.

Also, Tonight’s paid attendance was 55,623, the largest for a Dolphins preseason game at Sun Life Stadium since August 27, 2010, when a crowd of 59,144 witnessed the Dolphins drop a 16-6 decision to the Atlanta Falcon"

77FinFan likes this.
  40. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Other than GB, I don't see how anyone could be surprised by that list.

Oakland is like that one kid who is so pathetic, bullies leave him alone on purpose. Buffalo's biggest highlight of their franchise is having the worst Super Bowl record in the history of the NFL (as far as I can remember), Jacksonville's more of a joke than Miami (pending this season), and...Cleveland.