1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dolphins trying out David Veikune

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by adamprez2003, Oct 5, 2010.

1. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Basically a 2nd round bust but his scouting report has some of the things we look for, high motor, military family background, etc

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20101005_source_dolphins_trying_out_david_veikune

The Miami Dolphins are trying out former Cleveland Browns second-round linebacker David Veikune(notes) today, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

Veikune was drafted last year out of the University of Hawaii.

As a senior, Veikune was second-team All-Western Athletic Conference with 73 tackles, 16 1/2 for losses and nine sacks. He also had 11 quarterback hurries and forced four fumbles and was invited to the Senior Bowl.

The 6-foot-2, 257-pounder has run the 40-yard dash in 4.7 seconds and

He was invited to play in the 2009 Senior Bowl[2] to play for the South Team.

Drafted 52nd overall last year in a pick acquired from the New York Jets, Veikune played in 10 games as a rookie.

He was placed on injured reserve on Jan. 2.

The Browns cut him in September.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1245593

04/28/2009 - A closer look at the Browns' picks: Round 2/52 -- David Veikune, LB, 6-3, 257, Hawaii...The Browns are counting on Veikune to put some punch in their pass rush. He played end at Hawaii, but he will be an outside linebacker with the Browns and compete with second-year player Alex Hall for a starting job. He had 16 sacks over the last two seasons.

04/28/2009 - COULD SURPRISE: DE David Veikune recorded 16 sacks over his last two years at Hawaii. He had five position coaches in three different programs and will benefit from some consistent coaching. He might be a year away from contributing regularly, but the Browns are rebuilding and can be patient.

# Full David Veikune News Wire
    Overview

Despite giving up as much as 80 pounds to opposing offensive tackles, Veikune, with his relentless motor, collected 16 sacks and 25 tackles behind the line of scrimmage during his final two seasons with the Warriors.

Veikune is part of a military family, and has lived everywhere from Anchorage, Alaska, to Winslow, Ariz., to Las Cruces, N.M., and Hawaii. Several members of his family (mostly uncles) are nobles from the Tongan Islands.

A cousin, Tony Fulilangi, was the fourth-ranked light heavyweight boxer in the world at one point. After fighting George Foreman, he went on to train Paea Wolfaram, who won a silver medal for the Tongan Islands at the 1996 Olympics Games in Atlanta. A cousin, Mapa Malupo, was a running back at College of the Canyons in California.

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009

Well, that's always good to know.

3. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    :lol:

CaribPhin and Ophinerated like this.
  4. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I love Veikune's motor, but his size, lack of power/speed make him a lesser version of Koa Misi.

Still, I love the kid and hope we bring him in.

He SHOULD be good on STs... has the right attitude for it.

Puka-head and k-bayfinfan like this.
  5. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    if we sign him thats why i think. i think the next two weeks thats all we're looking for - special teams guys

Bpk likes this.
  6. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    he's back!

7. k-bayfinfan

k-bayfinfan Bikini Inspector

Jun 24, 2008
    Oahu
    Couldn't agree more with every thing here except the part on bringing him in, unless he replaces #50.

Bpk likes this.
  8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Veikune is actually quite powerful and has good speed as well.

His problem is I'm not sure if he has any PS time left, and not sure where he would fit in?

Replace Ikaika?

And let me add, heads are going to roll this week, by next Tuesday I fully expect at least one, and maybe 3, new ST players to be added to the roster.

Bpk likes this.