1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins v Patriots

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by josh, Dec 9, 2018.

1. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    We're #1 by quite a bit. Use the play finder on PFR to see (sort by team.. and note there are 3 more on the next page):
    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tiny.fcgi?id=2eGFW

We have 10 total while the next highest is SFO with 7. That link includes special teams and defensive TD's of 50+ yards btw.

Irishman, texanphinatic and Pauly like this.
  2. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    First off, welcome back from the dark side, young padawan. =)

You're right, Tannehill may falter down the stretch and Gase might blow a few more games from poor 4th quarter strategy. I'm still on the fence with Gase myself but the passes RT threw this past Sunday looked "next level" to me. He was hitting folks in stride and there weren't too many dink passes either....he was throwing the rock and looking like a beast. If THAT'S the RT we can expect on a weekly basis, he is every bit a franchise QB with a long future in Miami.

Here's the other side of the coin though. If RT is as good as some of us think he is, then Gase was right to wait on him and I have to support our coach. If RT falters down the stretch, then maybe I still see what he has in 2019 with the full team....but I won't be pro-Gase anymore. Everything from here on out (for me) will reflect on Adam Gase...either he's a genius who had some really bad luck with injuries, or he's an idiot that just wasted two seasons waiting on the wrong guy.

But if we do somehow finish 9-7 or better (playoffs or not), I don't see how anyone can knock the guy for what he's accomplished with very little starting talent.

3. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Yeah.. I'm still on the dark side. As I've told you before I don't really care if Tannehill finishes great this year I think it's just a tease. I think for me to think he's really turned the corner and that this isn't just an abnormally good year (assuming he finishes strong) he'd have to do this at least 2 years in a row. Either way, if he does finish strong I'll certainly have been wrong about his performance THIS year (i.e., efficiency stats), but I still want a QB we can rely on to win games and I simply don't see that in him at all.

Dark side dude!

4. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Besides the 1st NE and the Cinci game (he played hurt in both), he's been pretty darn reliable and efficient with whatever Gase calls. I'm not saying you're wrong....I hope you are....but it's going to take more than two games for me to abandon all hope. I do agree with you though that I want to see it over a 16 game season.

You will return to the Force!

5. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Admit it.. Gase looks more like a Sith than a Jedi.

And Tannehill looks like an eternal padawan lol.

6. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Gase is so hard to figure out- I'm still in wait and see mode. He's dominated more in this division than any of our other previous coaches and most of his success has come with backup QB's. Every time I want to hit the "jettison" button I tell myself to step back from the ledge and look what he's had to work with....I just don't know.

I'm not a fan of his anymore but I don't know if I'm against him either. I really need these last 3 games to decide.

7. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    As I calculate it (P = passing, R = rushing, D = defensive return, S = Special teams)
    ARI 2 (2P)
    ATL 2 (1P, 1D)
    BAL 1 (1S)
    BUF 1 (1P)
    CAR 1 (1P)
    CHI 2 (1P, 1S)
    CIN 1 (1S)
    CLE 3 (1P, 2D)
    DAL 3 (3P)
    DEN 3 (1P, 1R, 1S)
    DET 1 (1D)
    GNB 4 (4P)
    HOU 3 (1P, 1D, 1S)
    IND 2 (2P)
    JAX 3 (3P)
    KAN 6 (5P, 1S)
    LAC 4 (3P, 1S)
    LAR 3 (2P, 1D)
    MIA 10 (6P, 2R, 2S)
    MIN 2 (1P, 1D)
    NOR 2 (2P)
    NWE 4 (2P, 1D, 1S)
    NYG 5 (1P, 4R)
    NYJ 4 (1P, 2R, 1S)
    PHI 1 (1P)
    PIT 5 (5P)
    SEA 4 (3P, 1D)
    SFO 7 (5P, 2R)
    TAM 6 (6P)
    TEN 5 (2P, 2R, 1S)
    WAS 4 (2P, 2R)

Things that were interesting to me:
    The giants are far and away the best team at 50+ yard rushing TDs
    Tampa’s 50+ TDs all came in the first 4 weeks of the season during fitzmagic.
    San Francisco, Kansas and Tampa are the only teams with more than half as many 50+ yard TDs as the Dolphins.

Surfs Up 99 likes this.
  8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    That is pretty good for such a boring team

9. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    How do you account in the math for getting the chit beat out of you on nearly every play but still putting up those numbers? What about playing with a third string center and missing your 2 top play makers? How does that get calculated??

I see no one commented on the balanced approach to the games. When the rushing numbers are good he doesn't need to throw as much.

danmarino, resnor and adamprez2003 like this.
  10. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    No known way to objectively measure that.
    Total rushing numbers (especially rushing attempts) usually are a consequence of having a lead, not a cause. If we were to look only at rushing stats for the first 3 quarters then that's different and you could use that, but those are a bit harder to obtain.

danmarino and Irishman like this.
  11. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Interestingly enough, we were rushing not because of the lead (which we did have 4 or 5 times), but because they just couldn't stop Gore. That's the team I believe we were always meant to be...the blocking just hasn't been there. Yet even when Gore didn't have the lead blocks Sunday he plowed out 3-5 yards anyway- that was the difference on most drives....even though those little gains are often forgotten.

danmarino, resnor and Irishman like this.
  12. Irishman

Irishman Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2017
    High Point, NC
    Nice insight. I agree!

danmarino and cbrad like this.
  13. AGuyNamedAlex

AGuyNamedAlex Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015

14. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    Can't believe Bolden rotted away on our roster all year long.

We've always known that with this iteration of the Dolphins, the run game has been crucial to any sustained success.

KeyFin likes this.
  15. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Two touches- two touchdowns....I'd be tempted to retire myself. He had an afternoon for the history books and I think NE only lit his fire even more.

Puka-head likes this.
  16. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Are you going to be OK?

KeyFin and Fin-O like this.
  17. Phil Hutchings

Phil Hutchings Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2018
    I really enjoyed the game, especially the first half. It was a great advert for offensive football.

Unfortunately, when the Pats scored the field goal to go 33-28 ahead, I thought the game was over, so I took the dog for a walk. Imagine my surprise when I got back, opened my iPad and saw that we’d won.

I’ve watched that last down more than 20 times now, and I could watch it another 100 times without getting bored.

Everyone played their part in getting the ball to the endzone, but the block by Ted Larsen was exceptional.

Hopefully, we can now go on and reach the playoffs, though I’m not holding my breath.

18. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    My only sadness is that I don't have a recording of me watching that play.

Sorry you missed it. In real time it was unbelievable.
    I have watched it at least 30 times myself.

My facebook is full of different angles and recreations of that play.

19. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Oh man, if I had a recording.....that was the most I've screamed about anything in the past decade. I came out of my chair and my wife looked at me like I had lost my mind!

20. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Same here. What a play!!

KeyFin and danmarino like this.
  21. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014

I was jumping around and screaming so much that all my kids came running in thinking something was wrong...lol..

Then a few seconds later my 18 month old son, who was trying to keep up with his sisters, came barreling last into the room screaming, fist in the air, "Football"..."Dolphins" in a low, growling voice....lol.

djphinfan, Irishman, KeyFin and 2 others like this.
  22. Irishman

Irishman Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2017
    High Point, NC
    It's hard to fool a kid more than once. They see and speak the truth, as long as it won't get them in trouble.

danmarino likes this.