1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins vs Panthers gameday thread

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Nov 19, 2009.

1. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    I'd like to sit down with him too, but let me kick him in the head first! Then, you can talk to him. It's driving me nuts!

2. NyPhinfan

NyPhinfan Season Ticket Holder

Dec 21, 2007
    I get what you are saying but its almost an impossible call. He would get questioned no matter what. He went the safe way and sure way. Can you possibly imagine if punt..quick kick..FG gets blocked? Holy Hell would break out

3. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    .500 record....Henne is 5-2 as starter......lets all focus on the positive.

Let Sparano explain it...and accept it.

ToddsPhins, jason8er and DolfanTom like this.
  4. DolfanTom

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Overall, he played excellent tonight, and that was a great roll out and throw on that 3rd and 12 at the end. Huge!

He really is going to be good once he has a solid receiver.

Speaking of which, while nothing too great, Ginn made several nice catches tonight in tight space. For him, it was good!

5. NyPhinfan

Dec 21, 2007
    NO NO NO...I was in line first!

DolfanTom likes this.
  6. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    In sparano's comments after the game, he said he chose to run and try and get the first down and end the game. Mainly because the OL was so pieced together at that point in teh game due to injuries. they felt more confident putting the backups out there to call a regular offensive play, rather than put a special teams unit out there with guys at positions that they'd never practiced which would have made the FG much more riskier.

I can see that point i suppose...

7. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Did anyone else notice the absolute lack of drops tonight?

Is it possible our WRs just needed this much time to adjust to Henne's velocity?

8. NyPhinfan

Dec 21, 2007
    I do hear what you are saying..but I just really think it was the way to go. If they get the 3 yards..game over..if they dont..its 10 more yards they have to get. Tony is and was going to get questioned NO MATTER what he chose to do in that situation

9. DolfanTom

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Yeah, you're right. I definitely thought not kicking the FG was the right deal.

I felt pretty strongly about punting at the time, but - looking back at it - it was the right choice. Why risk a bad snap, block, etc. Same principle as not kicking the FG.

10. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Question. Why was Ricky not running? I was having a party here so we were watching but couldn't hear squat.

11. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    its a mystery. Hes not hurt or anything. Seemed to be chilling on the sideline. Guess they wanted the fresh guy in there.

12. NyPhinfan

Dec 21, 2007
    I saw Ricky go over to the trainer before the last drive and told him he was hurting..out of gas..whatever. You could see he was not going back in

jdang307 likes this.
  13. TarHeelFinFan

TarHeelFinFan New Member

Aug 22, 2009
    They stuff the run for negative yardage they get pretty good field position too. The FG makes it a two score game and ends it there.

14. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Yup. that was a nice job by Bess on that pass really. waving around to make henne see him, then run to the open spot of the field getting himself wide open. Where henne did great there, was rolling out, then running back to the left to buy more time while spotting bess open, then firing a rocket to him over the middle.

Great play, great communication, great poise out there by both of them.

Henne is going to be deadly with improved WRs. Whether its a new addition, or improvement and progression with what we have now. Its going to happen.

And yes, Ginn had himself a nice game tonight. I dont think he dropped anything. Had some nice returns. Made a few nice tough catches.

I think we used him properly tonight. Let him use his speed to get open, then get him a short little pass under a zone, or underneath the man coverage on him. Put him in spots where he could just go down, make a play safe for him. Hopefully it helps build his confidence to do bigger and better things.

jdang307 and DolfanTom like this.
  15. NyPhinfan

Dec 21, 2007
    If you go back and look at it on the DVR..he was talking to the trainer and some other guys and you could see something was bothering him.

16. Thunderbolt89

Thunderbolt89 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Good game,my family knows it's Dolphins football because of the yelling and cursing at the tv lol. Too many close games,they are going to cause me to lose my hair young haha

17. NyPhinfan

Dec 21, 2007
    You have to admit....its almost a no win situation no matter what he decided. 5yards closer I kick the FG..5 yards back I punt...I just think they were in the middle of no mans land

18. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Hey, i hear ya. Im undecided on what was the right call. I dont like what we did, only because of how it almost turned out. I think we shoulda taken the FG. We're within his range... but I guess where Sparano is right, is he made the call that put us in the best spot to win probably the more i think about it.

Just sharing what Sparano's reasoning was.

19. NyPhinfan

Dec 21, 2007
    I think the thing also is we can sit here now and try to figure out what the best plan would be..they had to make a decision fast and get a play called at the same time. Very few times do I sit there and not have a conviction on what to do. This one made me hesitate..and go back and forth. I just think trying to break a 4yd run is the best way to go.

mbmonk likes this.
  20. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

If Lou Polite had to throw a block against his own grandma to get the first down on third and short I believe he'd do it.

2k5 likes this.
  21. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    Sparano address the call in his post game press conference.

The summary is injuires had people playing spots they had never practiced.

Lol. The coach isn't THAT bad. :lol:

EDIT: I was late

adamprez2003 likes this.
  22. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    \

It was the right call. :up:

23. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

If you listen to what Sparano said in the post game ...

The field goal unit was a mash unit...guys were in that never played in there before. Given they had 0 timeouts....where the ball was...Sparano felt the safest decision was to put the honus on the defense if we didnt convert.

He was right.

mbmonk and adamprez2003 like this.
  24. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    That catch by Bess was huge. And if Henne hits him in stride oh my he probably wouldn't make it to the end zone but it was wide open for him. And the very next play Ricky to the friggin end zone how awesome was that.

25. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    Great game by Ricky, gutsy effort tonight by a banged up team on short rest on the road.

Chad Henne is my homeboy.

I'm proud of my team.

The REIGNING and DEFENDING AFC East Champions ARE NOBODY'S 'GIMME'.

26. G1nseng

G1nseng New Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Seeing our offense connect like that without much wildcat made me a happy camper

ToddsPhins likes this.
  27. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Just a note on the decision to not kick the field goal on fourth down:

Remember the opening kickoff? That's easy to execute and Carpenter slipped. Players were slipping all over the field tonight. I don't know if that was a factor in the decision, but it certainly solidifies that he made the right choice in my mind.

28. NolePhin

NolePhin Look out for D-Bess

Apr 27, 2009
    Davie, FL
    I appreciate you admitting it brother.

29. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

Look again and you'll see a kind of surprising amount of Dolphins fans.

Carolina has a good fanbase so I was stunned to see so many cheering Ricky..

30. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    Thank you Panthers for letting Delhomme throw 40+ times instead of running it 40+ times. Great game by us. Hope our injured players heal up for next wk.

31. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Quick question. On the Steve Smith touchdown, when there was the personal foul penalty, why didn't we tack the penalty on to the conversion try rather than the kickoff? Is that even an option in the NFL anymore? Certainly would have made it much more difficult to convert for two points.

32. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    its always been on the kickoff that I can remember.

2k5 likes this.
  33. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    Pretty positive its mandatory to be enforced from the kickoff. Not sure if it's always been that way, but it didn't seem like they even asked about it.

2k5 likes this.