1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins vs. The Field

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Lol Jameis is entertaining to watch and not in a good way... you just dont know what youre going to get from him on any given drive..

2. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Bills let the Pats drive down easily for a TD. 7-3 Pats lead. Early, but hopefully they can adjust. Right now, it looks like the same old Bills versus New England.

Yeah, the Bills are pretenders this year. No sign of that supposed great defense and Allen has missed several throws already.

Allen is terrible. Pass after pass wide of his WRs, taking sacks. Very bad day Tanny.

A couple great plays by the Bills and they have tied this one up. They got dominated, but are still in this. Hope they adjust for the second half.

Signs of life from the Buffalo offense, they are living and dying by big plays, but are now up 17-13.

Some bad play calls by Buffalo on defense. Giving plenty of space for the Pats to run short routes and missing tackles.

Bills offense is really predictable, run up the middle every first down, keeping Allen in the pocket and I guess they told him to never run. Playing scared that he'll make a mistake and hoping their tired defense will win it? Not gonna happen.

Yep, tired defense gives up the TD and the two point conversion. Now the Bills will expect Allen to pass them to victory, after playing scared all game.

Bills get to red zone, go backwards, lose. I don't see a great defense or a real franchise QB in Allen. We can catch them by 2021 with some good drafts and free agents. Pats were not great, they are the #3 team in the AFC, but still get the byeweek thanks to a very weak division.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  3. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    Jests up 10 0 is nice. They win really helps chances of booting Steelers out of playoffs. Titans more fun to watch for playoffs too.

Giants/Skins. We're going to win today so...Skins win likely for the best? Not sure with SoS.

We may fall 2-3 spots today. Just shows how awful the league really is.

4. Deus ex dolphin

Dec 2, 2007
    We need Washington to win, as we have a lesser SOS, but that could change with the wins/losses today. If we can't get to that #2 pick, then I want to win at New England next week. Picking #4-8 won't really matter in this draft.

5. Fishhead

Fishhead Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Aaaand there goes the Jets’ lead.

6. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    Titans are done. Tannehill taking sacks...may watch one more drive...or non drive.

7. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    Maybe Keenum can lead the Skins to a win

8. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    God bless Ryan Fitzpatrick. Making Gesicki and Parker look pretty darn good.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2019
  9. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    WTG Jests!

texanphinatic likes this.
  10. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    If the Raiders, Cardinals and Lions can all win...

11. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    May help us... though it is unlikely we move up from #5 overall.

Cheating Pats treating game as playoffs. Beating the Pats and knocking them from #2 seed would be nice. Won't happen tho.

Would like to see the Giants beat Eagles. Unlikely since win gets them in.

Skins vs Boys. Unlikely since Boys only hope to make playoffs is with a win.

Lions at Pack. Pack can get #2 so not much hope here either.

Ravens and Titans for the wins.

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Redskins always play Boys tough.

It would not surprise me if the Giants beat the Eagles.

Packers are going to kill the Lions

13. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    It's unlikely any of the Skins, Giants or Lions win. If you want to be charitable, maybe the Cowboys lost all their motivation after that deflating Philly loss, the Giants actually win (the most reasonable of the 3 games) while the Lions do what they did last year and pull off an unlikely home upset.

Still, the one nice thing is that none of those 3 need a QB. It still opens up the possibility that a team might trade into the 3 slot though, specifically to get ahead of us. I see no way picks 1-2 aren't Burrow/Young and I don't see a trade happening.

14. Deus ex dolphin

Dec 2, 2007
    How confident would you have to be that Tua will be healthy to trade extra draft picks to move up ahead of Miami? It's a risky move even if you don't move up, let alone giving up another second or even a 2021 first rounder for Tua. Especially knowing he'll need to sit out most or all of the 2020 season?

Knowing all that, I think you can argue that taking a Love or Hurts later in the draft, and developing them for a year, would give you a good young QB in 2021 with no worrisome injury history. You also get the BPA at #5.

15. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    If Tua is healthy enough for 4/5, then he will be healthy enough to give up an additional pick. It might even be us doing the trade-up to secure him.

If the Lions end up at third and Burrow/Young go 1-2 in either order, that would be a logical move. They can still get a valuable defensive piece or WR at 5, get an extra pick to help them asap (Quinn/Patricia are on the hot seat) and we secure our QB.

If the medicals aren't good or he stays in school, then you need to look at QB's being elevated. Herbert and Love are likely to be top 10-15 level guys at that point.

16. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    I wouldn't. Two ankle surgeries and now a hip dislocation in essentially two years of play. That is not a good indicator for a players longevity and mobility. I hope the team can attain another 1st for 2021 with the goal of getting that franchise QB.

M1NDCRlME likes this.
  17. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Personally, unless they look bad, I'd still go for it. The last time we made a call to pass on a potentially elite talent due to medicals it came back to bite us. Ill take the shot.

From limited understanding, the ankle surgeries were optional and designed to strengthen the joint. The hip was likely due to Saban making a bad call and letting a compromised QB play. If the hip checks out, he will be a top pick.

Phin McCool likes this.
  18. Deus ex dolphin

Dec 2, 2007
    That's the problem. No one will know if the hip is healed BEFORE the draft. Imagine dropping the #5 pick on a player who never actually plays a snap in the NFL.....

19. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    That’s precisely why he might be available at #5 rather than #1 or #2 that he would go at without the injury.

20. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    Nerve damage may not be identifiable until long after the draft. It is not just a lost draft pick, it is all the capital and years spent waiting on the "franchise QB". It turns a few years of losing into a decade. To me it is too risky when the organization made these trades to build something from the ground up.

21. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Being risk-averse can be just as bad as being too risky though. The talent is there. If the medicals are looking positive, someone will be happy to take that chance. The Saints took a risk on a dude and it got them a Super Bowl and a decade of watching a Hall of Famer play. Obviously that doesn't guarantee anything, but it illustrates the point.

Ultimately, it will depend heavily on the prognosis as we get closer to draft day itself. If things are still looking dicey, then sure, pass and see what happens. But if he is clearing every hurdle and checking every box, hand in the card. Otherwise ... you better be really sold on Herbert or Love. For now, it is mostly pointless to speculate or worry about things that aren't clear and haven't happened. Mock wise, it is likely the best bet for now to slot him in slightly below where he was before the injury, probably top 10, maybe top 5, but likely second tier to Burrow. And hell, it's possible he just skips the draft and goes back to school.

22. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I’m not sold on Tua. I’ve watched him play and yea, he’s a great quarterback...in the NCAA, but then again, so was Tebow.

The surgeries he’s had, granted the ankle was elective to help prevent future injuries indicate that he is injury prone and with as erratic as our offensive line has been, this is a Greek tragedy waiting to happen.

We have so much draft capitol that I still say build the BASE of the team first and prep it to have a Trevor Lawrence be able to walk in in 2021 and and take it to the next level.

Gotta think LONG term, not short term in satisfying the masses of hysterical cries for quarterback #20something since Marino’s retirement.

M1NDCRlME and Hooligan like this.
  23. AGuyNamedAlex

AGuyNamedAlex Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    I think the main issue is that no-one us going to trade their #1 pick with Lawrence available. It's pretty inconceivable to me we could make a trade even with multiple first rounders over several years, which would cripple us if Lawrence busted.

It's basically like thinking the Colts would have traded the #1 slot picking Manning or Luck. It's just not happening unless Lawrence looks bad next year.

Also I doubt we will land in the #1 spot next year naturally. We should have an influx of talent and even without talent we couldn't do it this year.

texanphinatic and Phin McCool like this.
  24. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    Collect draft capital for 2021 and hope whomever has #1 is willing to trade.

25. AGuyNamedAlex

AGuyNamedAlex Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Considering the #1 overall team is usually in desperate need of a QB and some consider Lawrence to be a once in a generation type player (not agreeing or disagreeing with that myself) I dont think its likely.

texanphinatic and Pauly like this.
  26. Fishhead

Fishhead Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Justin Fields is likely to come out next year as well. Haven’t seen OSU that much this year, but his numbers are certainly impressive. Lawrence may not be the only franchise qb in the 2021 draft.

27. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    This is the Hurts that everyone wants the Dolphins to take at #5? Lol YIKES.

28. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    he’s not having a great game, but so isnt anyone on oklahoma.

oklahoma is completely overmatched in every position matchup possible except for Ceedee Lamb and had no chance in hell of winning this game. LSU is stronger, more athletic and faster than Oklahoma, and simply have better players.

i think oklahoma would have fared better against ohio state or clemson, but they still would have lost.

KeyFin and Silverphin like this.
  29. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    On the other hand, they had great success this season against mostly mediocre talent and defense throughout the Big 12. LSU is a wrecking ball, but you'd like to see more. Murray had some success against Bama last year despite the team as a whole being outclassed.

30. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    This.

31. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Trevor Lawrence has no business playing college football beyond this season.. next season, he just doesnt belong.. itll be like putting Russell Wilson right now as a NFL pro football player in a high school state championship. It will be a man vs children. He should be in this draft and we are so unlucky that we wont have a shot at him. We picked the wrong year to be terrible.

texanphinatic and KeyFin like this.
  32. Deus ex dolphin

Dec 2, 2007
    What? We were nowhere NEAR terrible enough THIS season to have a shot at Lawrence OR Burrows if both were in the 2020 draft. We probably have a shot at Tua, as no other team would take him before us with the hip injury lingering.

33. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    No thanks at Tua... he can be someone else’s project.. if it were up to me im not taking any quarterback at #5 since Burrow will be off the board, and im probably not drafting a first round quarterback anyways, maybe Jordan Love with the Houston pick... but probably not.. i would take a flyer on Anthony Gordon with a second or third day pick depending on his Senior Bowl/pro day/combines.

and If Trevor was in this draft we have the picks to move up. He will be marked as the once in a generation quarterback. Last time a qb had that label was Luck and before him it was Peyton Manning. Now theres nothing worth moving up for.

34. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    LOL, I wanted to take Hurts in the 3rd round....hard to make the argument that he's a 1st round QB.

35. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Lawrence will be available 2021 at a minimum, so there's still hope we can grab him the season after. That's why I'm all for starting Rosen or Fitz another season...we may as well embrace the tank and just pretend these two seasons didn't happen. I really like Lawrence a lot and for folks that watched today, that was not his "normal" play style at all- that was specifically to topple Ohio State and I thought he did a fantastic job.

I think last night was a message to the Heisman committee to let them know they forgot a candidate, LOL! Burrow absolutely deserved it and I've been on his bandwagon all year long (I started the Burrow > Tua story-lines here around week 3 of the season), but Lawrence should have been in the conversation over Hurts anyway.

Really looking forward to this final game- I don't see how LSU can lose....but that was the exact same story with Alabama last season. I'm in Clemson territory anyways so I've listened to Dabo all season and he has insisted even before the year started that this is his best team ever. So we'll see in a few weeks!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  36. Deus ex dolphin

Dec 2, 2007

No, we don't even have the picks and draft position to get Burrow, let alone a player like Lawrence. Why would any QB needy team give away the chance to get a franchise QB? Maybe if you were offered three first rounders to drop down ONE spot and you could take Burrow at #2, instead of Lawrence at #1. Other than circumstances like that, no way any team makes a trade.

37. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Joe Burrow is going to get picked by Cincinnati thats already locked.

But had Trevor been draft eligible, the conversation on who the first quarterback taken would be up for debate.

Yesterday Joe had 7 touchdowns and he admitted that he got bailed out by his receivers yesterday, and he was right, Jefferson made some plays yesterday that did bail him out. He still looked impressive to me, and his season was impressive, he looked like Patrick Mahomes did in Texas Tech.

but when you see the mechanics of Trevor Lawrence, the football IQ he displayed yesterday on some of those plays he made, against the best defense in the nation, its ridiculous that a kid his age is that smart and good.

So now lets talk about draft positioning.. Washington nor Giants are drafting a quarterback. Theyre sticking with Daniel Jones and Haskins. We definitely have enough to entice the Giants and Redskins to move up.

We have 5 first round picks and many second day picks that would be enough to move up to #2 or #3 for Trevor had he been eligible this year. This is a generational quarterback that is near flawless in his game. Has the best deep ball, the better arm strength, the accuracy, the football iq, the athleticism, 6’6. If he lands on the right team, there’s no stopping him at the next level.

Striking likes this.
  38. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    Glad you wrote this so I didn't have to.

39. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    So we seem locked into the 5th slot. I still do not see any of the Washington/Detroit/Giant trifecta taking a QB. The big question will be the three teams AFTER we pick, which look to be San Diego, JVille and Carolina, all 3 of whom could really use a QB. Will the teams picks 3-4 be sold enough on a player to resist a trade? I wouldn't really be so sure personally. I would be exploring a trade with the Lions - Patricia and Flores have history with each other, it may be an avenue to pay dividends.

40. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    Maybe one of them loves Herbert or Love or a questionably healthy Tua and wants to trade up to 5...