1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins work out DE/DT Jonathan Fanene

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Disgustipate, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/s...t-for-dolphins-titans-has-interest-elsewhere/

I think this has two purposes. The one most immediate is replacing Tony McDaniel, who appears to be having chronic knee problems to the point where I'm not sure he doesn't get put on IR. I might be wrong but he missed time in training camp/preseason, came back and re-injured it week 1, had it scoped and came back vs. the Bengals I believe, and then left the Jets game early as well.

He's also got the ability to compete with Jared Odrick. He essentially played the same position in the Bengals defense, and did it better than Odrick has. I think it's quite possible that if they sign Fanene, he takes over the starting DE spot and Odrick becomes the #3 DT.

xphinfanx likes this.
  2. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    That would be awesome if your theory works out, i like it.

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Wonder if they feel they will keep Odie at De and Faenine takes over McD's spot?

4. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    fixed

5. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    He's a better DE than Odrick. Brings the run stopping skill but can pressure the quarterback to some degree.

Odrick should be the nickel DT.

6. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Fanene worked out for Tennessee this week as well (so did Phillip Merling).

I thought Tony McDaniel got hurt in the Jets game, but came back later on; as did Randy Starks. I think McDaniel is indeed a goner after this season though.

MrClean likes this.
  7. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    He was hurt, and the Patriots cut him and alleged he had a pre-existing injury and I think are trying to deny him money because of it.

8. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    He didn't disclose a knee injury and had surgery in August. Must have been pretty minor if he's been working out this week.

9. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    McDaniel came back to play after he got injured against the Jets though, although he wasn't practicing today

sws84 likes this.
  10. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Question.Odrick, Davis ,Merling .What do they have in common.

Lets hope Philbin or Coyle is making the call on this guy.

11. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    That doesn't make a lot of sense. All and all, Ireland has done really good on the defensive line even if Merling AND Odrick are busts.

12. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I'm assuming we aren't going to sign him since we are hearing about the workout now. Although, imagine if Fanene and Naanee were on the same team together.

13. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Odrick isn't a bust. He was just drafted too early...:shifty:

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  14. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    They love them Utah boys.

15. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    He's not a bust, he's a disappointment so far and I think there's a fairly important distinction.

Odrick isn't a terrible player. He's solid to pretty good. You should have higher aspirations for a pick but there are a significant amount of way less productive picks in that and any first round.

16. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    What does the 49ers TE have to do with us? :shifty:

17. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I agree, I think for what they ask Jared Odrick to do, he does it well. Yeah, he might not be Jason Pierre-Paul in terms of pass-rush, but I think his role is more equivalent to what Seattle asks Red Bryant and Alan Branch to do.

I'd be inclined to believe that if Miami signed Fanene it's more for depth purposes, mainly replacing Tony McDaniel if he's out for an extended period of time.

I wonder if Fanene may be more inclined to go to Tennessee though; I think he'd have an opportunity to get more playing time, if not start, by going there. They currently have Sen'Derrick Marks, Jurrell Casey, Karl Klug, and Mike Martin rotating in the middle...yikes.

18. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Im never overrawed about trying out players WHO are cut. They are released for a reason. We have one of best front 7 in the NFL. Fanene isnt going to excite many. Defensive equivalent of Anthony Armstrong imo.

19. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

McD did come back in the game after he left the game hurt.

20. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Hey, no fair. I saw what you did. You deserve to get picked on just like the rest of us. :tongue2:

21. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Wait, so were assuming because were looking into signing Fanene, that he's gonna start over odrick?, did I miss something?

22. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I don't think that'd be the case. I think he's more of a depth signing, especially since both Starks and McDaniel got dinged up against the Jets. He could provide some more pass-rush in certain situations.

Again, he worked out with Tennessee this week as well, and he'd stand to garner a lot more snaps, or even start there, as opposed to Miami. I'm not sure how strong his connection to Kevin Coyle is or isn't, other than the fact they were in Cincinnati together. I think that'd be the determining factor if he were to sign with Miami over Tennessee.

Personally, I'm happy Miami does continue to look outside for depth players a lot more than they did in recent years. I don't think Ryan Baker or Ray Feinga are on speed-dial any more (watch one of them get signed tomorrow...). They've brought in guys like De'Andre Presley, Anthony Armstrong, Jabar Gaffney from other teams. I think they've also developed a few practice squad guys now that Presley and Josh Kaddu have been bumped up to the 53. I'm not sure there's anyone currently on it that's roster-worthy yet, but under Tony Sparano, these guys were in and out; not developed over time.

23. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Coyle should know if he is worth bringing in so I see this as a possible good thing.
    A fresh set of wheels to chase QB's.
    Plus he should want to show New England what they threw away. Little extra incentive to play hard against New England.