1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don Banks SI: 10 Predictions for 08

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by HULKFish, Sep 4, 2008.

1. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    WHat a lovely read this one is! LOVE IT! GO DOLPHINS!!!

10 Predictions:

Have to say I agree!

mullingan likes this.
  2. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

May 13, 2008
    Clermont, FL
    I hear people keep saying this. How familiar is Chad with the Jets defense with Pace and Jenkins. Major upgrade from D-Slob and Hobson.

And if Chad is familiar with the Jets D, isn't the Jets D familiar with Chad? It is easier to change a play or disguise a play, then it is to change the mechanics and tendencies of a player.

If anything, the 2 cancel each other out.

Ray Lucas, anyone?

3. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Has pace and jenkins been held out of minicamps, OTAs, preseason? I don't follow the Jets so I don't know.

Jets D will be familiar with Chad, but not the Dolphins O. Chad knows the Jets D and O. He doesn't know the O as it's ran by Brett, but they're not changing the game in the 9th inning up there ...

4. BwanaZulia

BwanaZulia New Member

May 12, 2008
    No, Pace had two sacks against the Giants.

Actually, the Jets sacked the Giants 8 times in that game.

Not that that will produce itself on Sunday, but Chad better have on his running shoes.

BZ

5. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I was being facetious, pointing out to your fellow jet fan that Chad is familiar with those players ...

6. WharfRat

WharfRat Malignant Lunatic

You're kidding ... right?

The only thing Pennington and Lucas have in common is that they were both Jets.

7. BwanaZulia

BwanaZulia New Member

May 12, 2008
    QBs
    Were Jets, Now Dolphins
    Released from Jets
    Being a disappointment in Miami (soon) :)

BZ

8. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think Miami has the advantage here. The Jets will probably try to pack the middle of the field to make CP throw the deeper outs. They will also try a few blitzes to see if they can confuse the young line. They are not going to change their defensive philosophy. All they can do is change some calls and the timing of switches. Beyond that they just have to hope that CP doesn't recognize it.

CP has it easier. He's going to rely on the running game and work the flats (or the middle if the Jets blitz from there). There really is no secret to what CP or any other QB does.

As for the Banks article I mostly agree with what he said on the Dolphins/Jets. Except that while I believe that the Jets have more individual talent, I don't think it's a given that they will be a better team. Last year in the first meeting, it was a three point game. And the Dolphins had already had some major injuries. The last meeting was irrelevant b/c by the time they played again Miami was playing their third to fifth string at too many key positions for it to bear any semblance of the team that will be on the field this year.

So they were three points apart and both teams made key upgrades at OL, front 7 and QB. (there were other moves but IMO they were minor in comparison).

OL: Jets added Faneca and Woody. Dolphins added Long, Smiley and Thomas.
    Front 7: Jets added Jenkins, Gholston and Pace. Dolphins added Ferguson, Starks, Langford, Merling and (some LBs).
    QB: Jets added Favre. Dolphins added Pennington.

The only Jets additions which may be seen as superior are Favre and Pace. But as Banks mentioned predictions about how the QBs will do this year is subjective. CP is going to an O that seems to fit his talents perfectly (I didn't think so at first but it clearly does) and is much younger. Favre is going to a new system and is 38 yrs old and admitted to not staying in shape during the off-season. Favre may be the more talented player but not the better fit.

Pace is a beast. But like we saw with Porter last year he has to be used correctly. The Dolphins other LB additions are finally allowing Porter to move back to his natural position. So this year we hope to get out of Porter what the Jets are hoping to get out of Pace.

Overall, I see two teams that were pretty close last year and made pretty similar adjustments. I really think it will come down to which team has better learned to play together as a team.

HULKFish and gunn34 like this.
  9. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Nice write up Rafael.

rafael likes this.
  10. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    Hmmm, so Jets 45-3 then huh?

11. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

May 13, 2008
    Clermont, FL
    Never said that. In fact I said the 2 cancel each other out.

12. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Pennington is familiar with the scheme and with the players. Fine, he's never played with Pace and Jenkins before, so what? That's two of 11. And, I'm sorry, but our offensive line is better than you give credit for. I suspect Chad may be able to leave the running shoes at home, though I'm sure he'll get sacked 2-3 times nonetheless.

13. WharfRat

That is where it ends as we know it today.
    Two completely different QBs... one of which was NEVER a full time starter... :up:

14. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

May 13, 2008
    Clermont, FL
    And the Jets D is familiar with Chad. This is the same Pennington that has struggled vs the Jets D in practice for 2 years.

15. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    actually they dont. i think CP's biggest contribution will be his intimate knowledge of Bian Schott and Mangini's offense, and his Rhodes scholar mind to articulate it to the coaches and team. That will help our defense immensely. familiarity is one thing. KNOWING what the other team is doing, is another.

and you know what i love with these predictions, nobody knows, and everyone is so wreckless with their stern claims and predictions. the fact is, this is an entirely new team, new group of young guys, new staff, hell even new partial ownership. NO ONE knows what we have yet, and I love that. Its like trying to do a mock draft for 2009 right now, with no knowledge of draft order, team needs, or player performances. its a shot in the dark when you're dealing with such a fresh new organization. all they know about us is that we were 1-15 last year. so we'll see.:up:

HULKFish and gunn34 like this.
  16. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Unfortunately, Pennington was on the Jets O at the time. :lol:

All I'm saying is, this isn't quite the Dolphins team you might be expecting.

17. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

May 13, 2008
    Clermont, FL
    So you are saying Miami has a better O-Line vs Faneca, Brick, Mangold, Moore, and Woody?

And they have a better WR tandem than Coles and J-Co?

Granted, the Phins RB tandem is miles ahead of the Jets.

18. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    to be fair, i think we'll be better than people think, and i think the jets will be better than people think. so what do we have? who knows? that's why they take the field. let's let the players do the talking :knucks:

WharfRat and GreenMachine like this.
  19. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    Not really.

Chad knows the scheme's, the plays and any tendancies.

Sure, NY could have made some wrinkles between the time they dropped him but it won't be the entire playbook which with the way Chad studies I am sure he knows like the back of his hand.

All NY knows about Chad really is that he won't throw deep like Favre and they problably won't get fooled by his hard count. The Dolphins O though and their formations, plays, etc. etc. they do not know.

So I don't see how the Jets have any advantage here.

Another advantage that where as Favre is playing an entirely new offense, with coaches that have never used him before, while Henning obviously has familiarity with Chad and vice versa.

Now you may argue that since Henning was with the Jets years ago they know his offense, but no, its not the same to know someone a few years ago to knowing someone from just last month, when it comes to a playbook.

20. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Comparing individual to individual, sure. Our tackles and center are better than yours. Donald Thomas needs to prove it, and Justin Smiley loses out simply because we're comparing him to Alan Faneca. That said, Faneca may not have much left in the tank. Your OL is very boom-or-bust.

At WR, you win. At RB, we win.

21. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007

I dont know about the ENTIRE OL but I do like our tackles a LOT better than the Jets...and I think Satele will be close to Mangold by years end.

22. HULKFish

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    I'm going to say this in the easiest terms... I do somewhat agree with GreenMachine on cancelling each other out and further by saying this:

The team that wins on Sunday will be the team that executes the game plan more successfully (penalties are a worry) and WANTS it the most... Gotta factor in heart!

GreenMachine and PMZQ like this.
  23. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    I think you might be right. This one looks to be mostly even, with the exception of an "on target" Favre. If he is in that mode, the Fins will most likely be sunk, but if he plays like Tom Brady did in 2006 in Miami, we have an excellent chance.

24. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

May 13, 2008
    Clermont, FL
    Penalties are a worry on both sides.

Chad wants to prove the Jets wrong. Brett wants to prove the world wrong. 2 big chips on the shoulder.

eeek, can I mention shoulders here?

j/k:pointlol:

25. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Brett trying to prove the world wrong might equal 2005-2006 Brett. Good for us :)

Brett executing the team plan might equal 2007. Not good for us.

26. HULKFish

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    lol, nice one... We have MANY more chips. ALL the players that rolled over from the last regime (Porter, Ronnie, Ricky, Vonnie, Camarillo etc.) are LITERALLY STARVING for a win and eager to prove everyone wrong! Plus, the Dolphins are at HOME which is to take advantage of...

27. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Too much is and will be made of the qb battle in week 1 Jets at Dolphins. Theres' a story line there and well the media will be all over it, as many on here are. IE: Pennington knows the Jets, the Jets know Pennington. Of course they both know each other and of course there are changes to both teams and units.

What everyone is failing to realize, in my opinion anyways, its the run game and run defenses, along with the play of special teams that will decide this game. Both teams are learning new cohesiveness with each other and learning to play with each other, the coaches are going to reduce the possibility of unfortunate luck by running the ball in the first few weeks, while slowly developing the pass.

Its going to be a close game, these teams are a lot more even keeled than people are mentioning, such as: if the Jets win, it won't be by lots.

If the Phins win, it won't actually be an upset. With two teams with complete personell overhauls to many starting positions both via free agency and the draft, i think its really tough to say one team is a clear favorite in week one, and the story line of qb's won't be the story that determines the outcome, which run defense improved and performed will be.

Just my 2 cents.

WharfRat likes this.
  28. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    You didn't ask me but IMO Miami's OL is slightly better right now and will be far superior by the end of the season (of course that doesn't matter for this game). I think Faneca and Mangold are excellent. I think Woody and Brick both struggle against strength and that Woody struggles against speed as well (you may have noticed I don't have a high opinion of Woody). Moore is adequate.

I think that Long and Carey are far better run blockers and better pass blockers. Long struggles against speed but usually still manages to keep the QB upright even if he looks bad doing it. The interior of Miami's line is solid at this point but both Satele and Thomas have pro bowl ability. Satele could get there this year and Thomas in about two years. Where Miami's line is weak as that there is no depth. One injury there substantially lowers the talent level.

As for WRs Coles and Cotchery are far better than Ginn and whomever we start with him. Ginn may eventually be a stud but at this point it's not close.

The scenario is reversed at RB. Thomas Jones is a good back but he's not in the class of RW or Brown.

HULKFish, The Aqua Crush and WharfRat like this.
  29. WharfRat

Excellent posts both! :knucks:

The Aqua Crush and rafael like this.