1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don Jones Projected as Slot Corner

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Biggtyme13, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Biggtyme13

Biggtyme13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Per Miami Herald:

This makes an intriguing add to our cornerback battle which is going to look something like this

1. Brent Grimes
    2. Richard Marshall
    3. Jamar Taylor
    4. Dmitri Patterson
    5. Will Davis
    6. Nolan Carroll
    7. Don Jones
    8. D'Andre Pressly
    9. R.J Stanford
    10. Julian Posey

If Don Jones can make the team as a special teamer 5th Corner than who is odd man out? Does this mean Marshall can play FS?

Seems like alot of corners that have some ability compared to last year when we were picking guys up at the bus station to play.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  2. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Marshall is being moved to Safety then.

3. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Doubt they move Marshall to safety. If it comes to that they will cut him.

4. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I think that Patterson almost certainly gets cut. Marshall likely sticks this year, as both insurance for Grimes and as a bridge while the rookies get their feet wet. Then, he's cut or resigned to a smaller contract after the 2013 season. Nolan Carroll is fighting for a job at the bottom of the depth chart, and the rest are toast.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  5. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Any news on what Will Davis is projected as?

6. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I still love how everyone hates Marshall for playing poorly for 4 games before he got injured. I mean, he might very well suck, but can we at least give him a fair shot first?

smahtaz and MrClean like this.
  7. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I feel like he can play early in dime and quarters, hopefully graduate to a nickel back by the end of the year. He doesn't have the best ball skills though.

8. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Im willing to give him a shot, but not at the nearly 6 mil cap hit in 2014 that he's scheduled for, with Grimes likely to be resigned and the rookies on board.

9. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I'm baffled if we really took 3 Corners this year and not 1 safety.

10. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    I just hope we go into the season without Carroll

Grimes
    Taylor
    Marshall

Davis
    Stanford
    Jones

11. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Well, if they are going to use jones in the slot, then the more likely move would be to bump Patterson out, given his salary and cap savings. But let's not put the cart before the horse. First, he has to beat Patterson out. Patterson is better in the slot than outside.

12. BigNastyDB13

BigNastyDB13 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    That's a quarter of the season! Patterson was better than he was and he came over not knowing anything about our system. As far as I'm concerned Marshall should be cut if Grimes stays healthy. Grimes/Taylor as your boundary CB and Patterson as your slot. That's your best bet as far as skill/health goes. However, Marshall is likely a better teammate and character than Patterson so we ll see what happens. I don't see anyway we keep Marshall and Patterson short of Grimes or Taylor getting injured. Its not hard to see why people don't like Marshall though. By your own admission he played poorly, just because he got hurt after 4 games, which is another huge negative doesn't mean it should be forgotten about.

13. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I;m hoping he is strictly a dime back (depth). Thing is, from what I have seen, I don't know if he will contribute well enough on Special Teams to make the squad as a #5/6 CB.

14. BigNastyDB13

BigNastyDB13 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Not if the opinions of him being soft and scared of contact are true. That pick has bust written all over it. For the record I'm going by other peoples opinion 100% on this. I haven't seen the guy play at all but I intend to go back and watch the senior bowl and keep my eye on him.

15. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Marshall is pretty good in the slot, and if he started, and Taylor is the nickel, I'd guess he moves inside and Taylor goes to the boundary. Patterson though, is IMO the best pure slot corner on the roster. Folks saying Marshall and Patterson ain't any good, I absolutely positively disagree with. I see nothing wrong with being rich at corner. If you have good enough talent to push Carroll to the 6th corner, that has to be a pretty good group.

16. MrClean

IMO, it is because they only look at his 4 games in Miami last season. In 2011 he played very well. He led all corners in run stop pct. In cover snaps per reception he was the 3rd best corner. In yards per cover snap he was tied for the 8th fewest. In cover snaps per target, he was 2nd best among corners.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  17. MrClean

Watch Davis. Not just the Senior Bowl. He does not appear scared of contact. He is not a big blowup hitter, but he wraps up and gets the ball carrier on the ground.
    The #1 most important characteristic I want in a corner is ball skills. Davis has that very much.

18. MrClean

He played in 4 games but not poorly in all 4. His last game he allowed 2 TD passes against his old team, Arizona. This was after he got injured too though. He got hurt in the Oakland game, and tried to play through it against the Jets and Cards.

19. peakz

peakz New Member

Apr 15, 2010
    I still think the coaching staff really like Carroll. They traded Vontae because they thought Carroll wasn't much of a downgrade.
    I'm pretty sure that Don Jones will make the roster, this guy is a baller, but him and Will Davis are both projects with incredible upside.

1. Grimes
    2. Taylor
    3. Marshall
    4. Carroll
    5. Jones
    6. Davis

I think Patterson gets cut because he doesn't justify his 4.6m cap number during camp and is beaten out by the rookies. I think secondary could be a strength if this rookie class develop well.

20. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I saw Patterson flash, but not Marshall..it would be nice if our two new draft picks could win their jobs and start at corner and nickel..

21. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    how many DB´s we normally keep ? 6 ?

22. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i also want patterson to stay on this team, marshall i´m lukewarm on him, depends how many corner´s we keep

23. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Have to wait til preseason for this dude.

24. MrClean

Corner and Safety combined, 9 is the usual number on the 53 man roster. Sometimes it's 8 and sometimes it is 10.
    5-6 corners and 4 safeties I'd say is the most likely. Could keep 5 corners, 3 safeties and one who is combination like Wilson was, or perhaps Jones could be.

Alex13 likes this.
  25. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    Wilson is gonna have to ball if he wants to make the team

26. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I doubt Marshall is going anywhere this year. If he's healthy, you have to give him a chance. plus, people are assuming our rookies will be ready to play. Maybe J Taylor will be, but the other guys are likely ST players until they get some experience. I could see Carroll getting cut.
    Could be: Grimes-Marshall-Taylor and Patterson as our 4 CBs.

MrClean likes this.
  27. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Yeah, if Marshall is healthy there's no point in cutting him. He can play all 3 corner positions and he might be the best FS on the team.

28. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    If we are trying to win now it would make sense to keep the veterans around. Grimes, Marshall, Patterson, Taylor is probably how the depth chart looks in the beginning. No doubt this Don Jones kid is an athlete but how smart is he? Can he recognize things? Can he pick up on whats going on during the game? I think he's a project right now. Will Davis I think is the other corner that makes it giving us six for the season at that spot (which is fine). I think Carroll becomes the odd man out. He's had his opportunity and hasn't made the most of it in my opinion. Either that or I could see Richard Marshall moving over to safety. Either way it's good to have depth at DB. I'm pretty stoked about our secondary.

29. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    He played well in the 1st game, got hurt in the second, was OK vs NY, clearly not 100% vs Arizona and never played again afterwards. Seems clear he was trying to play thru an injury in the last two games, I have no idea where the played poorly in 4 games nonsense comes from.

MrClean likes this.
  30. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Especially on special teams.

31. MrClean

He got flagged for PI a couple times against the Jets and was blamed for 2 TD passes against AZ. I guess it comes from that. I agree that all the dissing on Marshall is basically nonsense though.