1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't be so quick to make McNair a hero...

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by Crappy Tipper, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    Not my title, but the articles.

Interesting read and perspective, thought I would toss it up here for discussion.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9777174/Don't-be-so-quick-to-make-McNair-a-hero

Disnardo likes this.
  2. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    So what do you all think about the allegations coming out that he really wasn't the man people thought he was?

3. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    what a ridiculous article. he helped so many people in the communities and on the football field, yet because he had a girlfriend with a wife on the side hes not a good guy and none of the good stuff happens.

4. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Below is an older article, and more to do with Politics than American Sports hero's but it holds true....media coverage attempts to paint pictures and spin messages.

Each person trying to place McNair into a perfect picture has their own perception of reality and what actions of his speak louder. The community helper...the football QB that was a leader for his team...or the wife cheating adulter and father that failed in his responsibilites to set a positive example for his children....it depends on what value someone places over another to attempt to define him from a singular event vs the full picture.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2006/09/and_hitler_liked_puppies.html

And Hitler Liked Puppies

5. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I think it makes him human. Thats all. Society has some inane need to have a superman and when they find otu their heros are human, they get upset. If you look at the background of most of societies heros I think you will find they were all flawed. I don't think what mcnair did was right. I don't think it erases what he did either.

6. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    No argument from me!!!!! At the end of the day we are what we are...the complete and entire package that means the good with the bad. Its the Major part..not the Minor part that is the more telling truth.

7. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    The public McNair and what he did for the community, etc. still stands IMO. Whitlock does hammer home some food for thought on his child rearing techniques and his apparent disregard for his children.

late again likes this.
  8. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    That was the part that got me as well. Whatever happened between McNair and his wife is between them but a man should never brush aside his kids.

9. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    True, and that does seem to be a huge problem in the US.

10. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    And it crosses every social and economic class. This problem in my opinion is the root of many others from crime to poverty in many cases.

calphin, cnc66 and opfinistic like this.
  11. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    While I, under no circumstances, condone his affair, disregarding all the good he has done would be criminal.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  12. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    I know that if I hadn't had my daddy to whip my *** back in line when I oh so deserved it I can't imagine what a screw up I would've become, because let me tell you, I am no boy scout at heart.

13. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    Amen to that. My dad being disappointed or mad was far more of a deterrent than the police :lol:

14. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    No matter what he did or didn't do isn't the problem now.
    The problem is that "at the end of the day" his kids have to put up with a bunch of crap because their dad had no morals.

15. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    you know I have always been a **** up. I have to say as much beef as I had with my dad over the divorce and the stuff he did, he always showed up to kick me in the ***, or other, when I needed it. I would say he was still a great father even though its pretty much a given he cheated on my mom.

16. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    no morals? he helped thousands on top of thousands less fortunate than him.

unless you're ready to start calling Martin Luther King Jr., JFK, Abe Lincoln, and a slew of other great heroes cheating scum, don't start here.

17. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I never called anyone cheating scum. those are your words.

I said morals. And IMO anyone who cheats, abuses their kids physically OR mentally has bad morals.

Scum I leave to the pedophiles and rapists.

late again likes this.
  18. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    he also had wonderful morals for bringing so much good to the world and his community. i could only hope to contribute so much to bettering the world around me one day.

are you alluding to him abusing his kids? i didnt hear any report of him doing so.

i think physical abusers of children, peds and rapists are far worse than scum. they should face castration and life sentences.

19. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    People can be both.

Examples of all that are good in the public eye and all that are bad behind closed doors.

Does one offset another? I don't think so. If he did cheat on his wife and ignore his kids then his public work doesn't lessen that impact on his family. On the flip side those things we as a public only learn about after his death don't change the benefit to those less fortunate that he donated time and money to in the public eye.

dolphindebby and Sethdaddy8 like this.
  20. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    and i dont even think anyone is saying he did such a thing.

21. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    It was alluded to in the article when it was stated that he had run off with his new girlfriend for an extended period of time. Plus the fact that it seemed like he was 'living with her' due to how much time they were together.

Crappy Tipper and Sethdaddy8 like this.
  22. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    Alluding to him abusing his kids? Where'd you come up with that? I never said such a thing about him personally being an abuser.
    I said his kids had to live with the fact that he had bad morals because of his cheating.
    IMO, IF you have decent morals, you don't lie, cheat, steal etc. etc. And you think about your family first.
    He's human, he made a big mistake. I just think it's sad that the kids have to be left with such a terrible memory of their father-when it didn't have to be that way.

opfinistic likes this.
  23. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    i agree.

dolphindebby likes this.
  24. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Same here, I can't imagine the hell it must be to lose your father to a bullet, and then to make things worse the whole stigma of the affair really makes this a sad thing for those boys to endure.

dolphindebby and Crappy Tipper like this.
  25. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I didn't see anyone who called McNair a hero. He was a good person though who touched a lot of lives. No-one on Earth is perfect, and we've all done things that have hurt someone at one point or another in our lives.

The fact is that we dont know WHY he did what he did, but he did it. I wouldnt want someone to judge my choices when they couldn't understand what I was thinking at the time. It's pretty rude (IMO) to attack someones character when they are no longer around to defend themself.

26. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

We know Crema Sumjungai...:lol:

27. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    To me, that is the real lesson of McNair's murder, things can reciprocate right back at people, and all the good can be erased, or at least submerged, if things go badly.

dolphindebby likes this.
  28. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    good to see you back bro. :up:

calphin and cnc66 like this.
  29. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

Glad to be back.

30. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    scratch that..2 girlfriends and a wife on the side. you could say charles manson provided a great community service by taking in wayward runaways giving them free shelter and food but that doesn't make him a good person.pablo eskabar(sp) spent millions of dollars to better his community but i would not say he is a good person.

31. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Article from Don Banks..

dolphindebby likes this.
  32. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Thought this was real interesting. I dont' know how much people believe in this stuff but its still something to think about.

http://football.realgm.com/src_wire...gist_retirement_to_blame_for_mcnairs_affairs/

33. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    nice read but i don't see where this pertains to mcnair's death. are they trying to say that his retirement led him to become a male giggalo sleeping with any girl that waits on him at dave n busted(Rs)? i don't think mcnair had any problem transitioning to his new carreer of sugardaddy and actually enjoyed banging mid 20 yr old girls. the only carreer that had anything to do with this was the one of the murderer who couldn't take having to go back to being a dave and busted(rs) go-girl after enjoying limo rides and hanggliding with even a retired qb, to all of a sudden having to wait on him and his new mistress/waitress.

34. Linus

Linus Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 9, 2008
    While I think there is never an excuse for cheating, especially with multiple women......I don't really care what goes on between two other grown adults, no matter the type of relationship.

But, the one thing that, to me, can never be overlooked, is not being there for your kids...teaching them the right way to behave.

He was a grown man, if he wants to be out having sex with multiple women...then get a divorce, plain and simple. Also, I know everyone always thinks the kids are unaware or oblivious or something...but I don't believe that. You guys don't think this type of cheating affected his kids, even before all this crazy stuff happened? What were his 4 kids doing when he was out hang gliding, taking pictures with this girl? They were probably at home, going to school, playing sports, eating family dinner, etc....all probably missing their dad.

When you bring kids into the world, they're your one main responsibility. Doing what he was doing (and I don't care why he was doing it, or that ten million other people do it) is anything but being responsible for his kids. I have 110% more respect for people who don't do anything for the community but are there doing the right thing for their families than I ever will for someone who puts everyone else first and their family second.

dolphindebby likes this.
  35. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Like all of us, he was made up of more than easily fitting cookie cutter pieces. He had parts of him we could relate to, and others we would not. The same as you and me.

I've never cheated on my wife, but then again, I never did that much for my community either. Not like he did. Does that mean I am less of a man? No, just different that's all, and we all have good and bad within us on varying degrees.

He may not be a hero, so what. Maybe he can be a martyr to the fact that overall he seemed like an alright guy who deserved better, and deserved to give better. Is that that bad? Read a newspaper and you'll hear about 50 people worse than McNair within 10 pages, so what does that tell you.

Linus likes this.
  36. Linus

Linus Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 9, 2008
    I agree that noone is perfect. I just feel that it is wrong how some people make it sound like helping the community makes how he treated his family (kids especially) null and void. My whole thing is that your kids come first, no matter what. His kids were part of a much more close-knit "community"....his family. So, no matter how great a situation he may have created for others around him, he left a not-so-good one for those closest to him.

There are lots of guys out there who can't afford to help a community out, and they are still cheaters. Does that make them worse than McNair because they didn't make enough money to help build playgrounds? And also, there's tons of people who did great things for everyone, and still can put their family first. That takes real character in my eyes.

But, nobody is perfect, and noone deserves anything horrible like this. I just feel so bad for his kids, his wife (who learned of the cheating at the same time as learning her husband was killed), and also for him. I bet if he realized what kind of situation his actions would really leave his children in, he may have rethought the way he was living. RIP

37. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    That applies to everything we do, everyday.......