Doughty love

454 replies

CBcbradForum Veteran
Aug 17, 2016, 06:25 PM

"Fin D wrote:

Go back. The offense was atrocious with him at the helm until we pulled out the Wildcat, which was only even feasible at that point because of Ronnie Brown.

Didn't say Wildcat wasn't an important factor. Let's just not assume Pennington had nothing to do with the final record. I doubt most QB's we've had since Marino would've performed as well as Pennington did that year even with the Wildcat.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Aug 17, 2016, 06:38 PM

"Fin D wrote:

Go back. The offense was atrocious with him at the helm until we pulled out the Wildcat, which was only even feasible at that point because of Ronnie Brown.

They were up 7-0 and on the goalline before the first wildcat play was called against New England. Plus it was only two games.

Another thing about that season was 6.9% of drives ended with a turnover, with only 13 turnovers all season.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Fin-OFin-OForum Veteran
Aug 17, 2016, 08:19 PM

The biggest reason the Dolphins won the division is because they had the fewest turnovers in the league BY FAR. Pennington was efficient but most importantly never made a mistake.

In the NFL the talent level is so close that if you make the fewest mistakes you are going to do very well. There is a reason Chad Pennington in seasons he stayed healthy never missed the playoffs.

"The reason so many people misunderstand so many issues is not that these issues are so complex, but that the people do not want a factual or analytical explanation that leaves them emotionally unsatisfied"

CBcbradForum Veteran
Aug 17, 2016, 08:44 PM

"Fin-O wrote:

There is a reason Chad Pennington in seasons he stayed healthy never missed the playoffs.

This statement sounds so funny even if true because that guy was almost NEVER healthy. I think since he took over from Testaverde, he was healthy only in 2002 and 2008? That's it right?

Fin-OFin-OForum Veteran
Aug 17, 2016, 08:50 PM

"cbrad wrote:

This statement sounds so funny even if true because that guy was almost NEVER healthy. I think since he took over from Testaverde, he was healthy only in 2002 and 2008? That's it right?

Sounds about right, I thought he made the playoffs twice with NYJ once with Miami but can't say for sure and too lazy to google.

"The reason so many people misunderstand so many issues is not that these issues are so complex, but that the people do not want a factual or analytical explanation that leaves them emotionally unsatisfied"

CBcbradForum Veteran
Aug 17, 2016, 09:22 PM

"Fin-O wrote:

Sounds about right, I thought he made the playoffs twice with NYJ once with Miami but can't say for sure and too lazy to google.

Yeah, playoffs 4 years, 3 times with Jets:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PennCh01.htm

Looks like he played all 16 games in 2006 also and made the playoffs that year too. So 3 years out of 9 after taking the starting job without some injury lol.

Aug 17, 2016, 10:33 PM

"jdang307 wrote:

Anyone remember adrian mcpherson

The QB most known for having once accidentally lined up under a guard's butt instead of the center.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

Vertical LimitVertical LimitForum Veteran
Aug 17, 2016, 10:40 PM

Make fun of Mcpherson all you want, 109 rating with 190 something touchdowns on just 25 ints and something like 80 rushing touchdowns in the arena league are badass numbers :lol:

VInce young wishes he had mcphersons career

FinsterFinsterNew Member
Aug 17, 2016, 11:14 PM

Joey Porter was another reason for 2008, his 17 sacks didn't hurt, but his and Penne's leadership were a big reason we won a lot of close games

dolphin25dolphin25Forum Veteran
Aug 18, 2016, 08:53 AM

"ckparrothead wrote:

Cardale is up there. Sick.

Just for the record Doughty out threw Cardale in distance during a national all star event.

Lord help us.

dolphin25dolphin25Forum Veteran
Aug 18, 2016, 08:56 AM

Jared Lorenzen had a cannon too, totally amazing. Sadly he ate himself out of football.

Lord help us.

Fin-OFin-OForum Veteran
Aug 18, 2016, 08:57 AM

"dolphin25 wrote:

Just for the record Doughty out threw Cardale in distance during a national all star event.

Really? That would be impressive.

"The reason so many people misunderstand so many issues is not that these issues are so complex, but that the people do not want a factual or analytical explanation that leaves them emotionally unsatisfied"

dolphin25dolphin25Forum Veteran
Aug 18, 2016, 09:03 AM

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2016/08/heat-adds-beno-udrih-the-fallout-and-where-the-roster-stands.html

• The Dolphins haven’t been inclined to keep a third quarterback on the 53-man roster to start the season in recent years, but rookie seventh-round pick Brandon Doughty is giving the Dolphins incentive to possibly reverse that pattern.

His accuracy, quick mind and poise have impressed coach Adam Gase, who has final say on the 53-man roster.

Doughty was 7 for 9 for 66 yards in the preseason opener against the Giants and “I saw a guy that was very comfortable,” Gase said. “I felt good calling plays for him. I didn’t have any concerns. I wasn’t sitting there , ‘I can’t call this, I can’t call this.’ Watching him react to everything I called, it was like there was nothing that was bothering him.


“He’d get hit, he’d bounce back up, look right at me. I love that part of him and then his progressions were really good. He was always in the right spot, which is good to see it’s different in practice.”
In fact, Gase said Doughty’s performance was atypical of a rookie.


“I’ve been a few times where it looks like, ‘Uh oh, what’s going to happen?’” Gase said. “He was good. He’s been in the shotgun a lot in his career. If there’s one thing that I would say he needs to really work on is just to make sure that he feels comfortable working under center.”


And that’s not the only thing Gase likes about Doughty.


"In this league, that window closes so fast,” Gase said. “As soon as you’re trying to evaluate whether that guy is open or not, he’s probably going to get covered by the time the ball gets there. With him having a great feel of the route concepts and turning the ball loose,… He’s done a great job as far as being that consistent in anticipation.”


Gase said Doughty’s next step is “controlling everybody,” correcting mistakes and correcting mental errors by others..


The Dolphins could put Doughty on the practice squad unless they believe another team would claim him and put him on their 53-man roster.


“I have a chip on my shoulder; my talents are a little better than a seventh round pick,” Doughty said Wednesday. “I’m excited to prove everybody wrong.”

Lord help us.

dolphin25dolphin25Forum Veteran
Aug 18, 2016, 09:12 AM

"Fin-O wrote:

Really? That would be impressive.

Yes it was on ESPN, some all star challenge of something like that.

The announcers were all lathered up talking about Cardele and his great arm and how they couldn't wait to see him throw. Doughty out threw him and Cody Kessler.

Doughty was barely even mentioned until of course he won lol :)

http://www.wbko.com/content/sports/Doughty-edges-Kessler-at-all-star-football-challenge-367438251.html

http://www.kyforward.com/former-wku-record-setting-quarterback-doughty-in-all-star-football-challenge-on-espn2/

some really good NFL QB's have won that challenge.

Lord help us.

Fin-OFin-OForum Veteran
Aug 18, 2016, 09:18 AM

"dolphin25 wrote:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2016/08/heat-adds-beno-udrih-the-fallout-and-where-the-roster-stands.html

• The Dolphins haven’t been inclined to keep a third quarterback on the 53-man roster to start the season in recent years, but rookie seventh-round pick Brandon Doughty is giving the Dolphins incentive to possibly reverse that pattern.

His accuracy, quick mind and poise have impressed coach Adam Gase, who has final say on the 53-man roster.

Doughty was 7 for 9 for 66 yards in the preseason opener against the Giants and “I saw a guy that was very comfortable,” Gase said. “I felt good calling plays for him. I didn’t have any concerns. I wasn’t sitting there , ‘I can’t call this, I can’t call this.’ Watching him react to everything I called, it was like there was nothing that was bothering him.


“He’d get hit, he’d bounce back up, look right at me. I love that part of him and then his progressions were really good. He was always in the right spot, which is good to see it’s different in practice.”
In fact, Gase said Doughty’s performance was atypical of a rookie.


“I’ve been a few times where it looks like, ‘Uh oh, what’s going to happen?’” Gase said. “He was good. He’s been in the shotgun a lot in his career. If there’s one thing that I would say he needs to really work on is just to make sure that he feels comfortable working under center.”


And that’s not the only thing Gase likes about Doughty.


"In this league, that window closes so fast,” Gase said. “As soon as you’re trying to evaluate whether that guy is open or not, he’s probably going to get covered by the time the ball gets there. With him having a great feel of the route concepts and turning the ball loose,… He’s done a great job as far as being that consistent in anticipation.”


Gase said Doughty’s next step is “controlling everybody,” correcting mistakes and correcting mental errors by others..


The Dolphins could put Doughty on the practice squad unless they believe another team would claim him and put him on their 53-man roster.


“I have a chip on my shoulder; my talents are a little better than a seventh round pick,” Doughty said Wednesday. “I’m excited to prove everybody wrong.”

Wow, that's some solid praise. And the fact he is happy enough with his QB'ng to say the next step is to be a commander on the field is telling as well.

Gase likes this kid a lot.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The reason so many people misunderstand so many issues is not that these issues are so complex, but that the people do not want a factual or analytical explanation that leaves them emotionally unsatisfied"

dolphin25dolphin25Forum Veteran
Aug 18, 2016, 09:42 AM

"Fin-O wrote:

Wow, that's some solid praise. And the fact he is happy enough with his QB'ng to say the next step is to be a commander on the field is telling as well.

Gase likes this kid a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is what I am hoping, it sure sounds like it. I would expect that kind of talk about a 1st round pick, it is really nice that Gase is seeing some very positive things.

Lord help us.

Aug 18, 2016, 10:34 AM

"dolphin25 wrote:

Just for the record Doughty out threw Cardale in distance during a national all star event.

First off that's not true. The distance throw was used as a tie-breaker between Doughty and Cody Kessler. Doughty out-threw Kessler. Cardale came in behind Doughty and Kessler in the accuracy challenge so he didn't take part in the tie-breaker.

Second, as I've said, arm strength is not about distance throw. You may think that's the definition of arm strength but it is most definitely NOT.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

Aug 18, 2016, 10:37 AM

"Fin-O wrote:

Really? That would be impressive.

Unfortunately no. I would be mildly impressed if it were true since Cardale has such ridiculous velocity on his throws. But it's not true. Cardale didn't do the distance throw. Doughty and Kessler did the distance throw as a tiebreak because they both ended the accuracy challenge with 226 points. Cardale had like 188 points so he didn't do the tiebreak. If he did I'm pretty sure he would've out-thrown them, not that it matters that much to the arm strength argument.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

Aug 18, 2016, 10:38 AM

"Fin-O wrote:

Wow, that's some solid praise. And the fact he is happy enough with his QB'ng to say the next step is to be a commander on the field is telling as well.

Gase likes this kid a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He does, and he ought to. Dan Marino likes him as well.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

RoninFin4RoninFin4Supporter
Aug 18, 2016, 10:44 AM

"dolphin25 wrote:

Jared Lorenzen had a cannon too, totally amazing. Sadly he ate himself out of football.

He was playing for some indoor league in Northern Kentucky a few years back; not sure if he's still there. Some team called the River Monsters.

@KevinMD4

dolphin25dolphin25Forum Veteran
Aug 18, 2016, 12:11 PM

"ckparrothead wrote:

First off that's not true. The distance throw was used as a tie-breaker between Doughty and Cody Kessler. Doughty out-threw Kessler. Cardale came in behind Doughty and Kessler in the accuracy challenge so he didn't take part in the tie-breaker.

Second, as I've said, arm strength is not about distance throw. You may think that's the definition of arm strength but it is most definitely NOT.

I actually watched the show.

Lord help us.

dolphin25dolphin25Forum Veteran
Aug 18, 2016, 12:13 PM

"RoninFin4 wrote:

He was playing for some indoor league in Northern Kentucky a few years back; not sure if he's still there. Some team called the River Monsters.

that dude was seriously athletic. was really amazing someone his size could do the things he did in all sports. he broke his ankle in that league.

Lord help us.

dolphin25dolphin25Forum Veteran
Aug 18, 2016, 12:19 PM

"ckparrothead wrote:

Unfortunately no. I would be mildly impressed if it were true since Cardale has such ridiculous velocity on his throws. But it's not true. Cardale didn't do the distance throw. Doughty and Kessler did the distance throw as a tiebreak because they both ended the accuracy challenge with 226 points. Cardale had like 188 points so he didn't do the tiebreak. If he did I'm pretty sure he would've out-thrown them, not that it matters that much to the arm strength argument.

He absolutley did the throw, that was part of getting the points and he did horrible. Again the announcers were all disappointed he threw so badly.

Lord help us.

finfansince72finfansince72Supporter
Aug 18, 2016, 12:19 PM

“He’d get hit, he’d bounce back up, look right at me. I love that part of him and then his progressions were really good. He was always in the right spot, which is good to see it’s different in practice.”

This was interesting because some earlier quotes from Gase seemed to elude to him not going through his progressions correctly in practice or something similar so obviously he's getting better and impressing the staff. We will see more this week. I'd like to see him get in the first half and see what he's got.

Aug 18, 2016, 12:55 PM

"dolphin25 wrote:

I actually watched the show.

Ah then you saw that Cardale didn't take part in the tiebreak.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com