1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft Analysis: Calais Campbell, DE, Miami Hurricanes

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Apr 21, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    With nearly everyone focusing on defensive ends, such the University of Virginia's Chris Long or Ohio State's Vernon Gholston, some may be neglecting that there is a great amount of talent at the position that should last deep in the first round and into the second round. University of Miami (Fla.) defensive end Calais Campbell fits that particular mold, as he showed great capability of both rushing the passer and defending the run at points in his college career.

Redshirted in 2004 as a true freshman, Campbell would play in all 12 games as a backup defensive end in 2005 while making one start. He would finish with 35 tackles, 2 1/2 sacks and eight quarterback pressures in his first year of action with the Hurricanes. However, 2006 would be the year he put himself on the map. Campbell was named to the First-Team All-ACC team after recording 80 tackles, 10 1/2 sacks and 16 quarterback pressures. Unfortunately, he would lose a little in his junior year, finishing with just 50 tackles and six sacks in 2007. While his numbers dropped, they didn't prevent him from forgoing his final season with Miami and declaring for this year's draft. Campbell finished his career at Miami with 158 tackles, 19 1/2 sacks, 39 tackles for loss and 30 quarterback pressures.

While the drop-off in his production might not seem so great, it has caused some concerns amongst teams. Campbell addressed those concerns and said, "My technique wasn't as good as the year before because I was worried about the double teams and not concentrating on the little things. I was a little bit frustrated."

PositivesCampbell's size is something to covet, as he is one of the tallest defensive ends in this year's draft. His 6-foot-7 1/2-inch height combined with a 35 1/2-inch wingspan could wreak havoc for opposing offenses game after game. Despite his large frame, he is able to play with leverage often and combined with a solid amount of strength, is able to use all three to either turn the corner against offensive tackles or help stuff the run.

Campbell's run defense is also a major positive, as it helps ensure he will be on the field for the majority of the game instead of becoming a situational defensive end. Campbell is very good at making sure the ball carrier doesn't get by him if he can get his hands on him, as well as extending outside running plays in an effort to keep the ball carrier from turning upfield too early.

NegativesWhile he has great size, his timed drills were not so good. Campbell ran the 40-yard dash in 5.03 seconds at the 2008 NFL Scouting Combine and 5.06 seconds at his Pro Day. He also ran the short shuttle in 4.60 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.19 seconds. While other defensive ends in this year's draft were running their 40s in the 4.70-4.80 range, Campbell was roughly two-tenths of a second slower than the top talent in this year's defensive end class.

Campbell's down year last year also has to be considered a negative since it seems to have some teams concerned. Campbell acknowledged that facing double teams played a hand in his technique, which led to him recording more than 30 fewer tackles and 4 1/2 fewer sacks. However, playing defensive end in the NFL will mean he can look towards more of the same from opposing offenses. He can hold his own when going against double teams, but he still must improve in order to beat them more consistently.

Good read
    link to rest of story
    http://www.kffl.com/article.php/87937/160

alen1 likes this.
  2. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I think that Campbell hurt himself more than any opposition he faced during his senior season. His honesty is admirable, but as the article states he's going to be facing double teams from a heck of a lot better players than what he's seen thus far. He's pretty good, but I don't know about first round good.

3. Caps

Caps Movimiento Juvenil

Mar 23, 2008
    I'd be happy if we could nab him in the 2nd. Physically, he's Chris Canty all over again, so you know Ireland and Parcells have given him some looks. 32 I'm not so sure about, I think we have bigger needs, but he's a great risk-reward pick at 57.

alen1 likes this.
  4. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I think i agree. I'd be okay with him at 57. Especially if we take Jake 1st.