1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft Countdown has updated their mock

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Silverphin, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    They have us taking:

Round 1: Clay Matthews, OLB, USC
    Round 2a: Sean Smith, CB, Utah
    Round 2b: Juaquin Iglesias, WR, Oklahoma

2. PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN

PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Um, I'd rather have Clint Sintim then Clay Matthews.

3. Jimi

Jimi Active Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Id be very happy with that at this point.

Silverphin likes this.
  4. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I'd rather have Robieskie's size than Iglesias.

5. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I would be really happy with this draft. Matthews comes from a great football family. I also like Cushing from USC. Sean Smith I have seen play in person and lots of games on TV and he has really good size for a CB, and good hands. I also like Iglesias and think he would be a good pick at WR....I like Nicks and Britt a little more but they will be gone by our 2B pick.....if Iglesias is gone, I think Ramses Barden of Cal-Poly would be a nice WR pickup.

6. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Truth be told, I'd be happy with this draft if we drafted Sintim over Matthews.

7. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    i dont like it at all.

you pass on Sintim for Matthews? then at 44 you pass on Delmas AND Nicks for Sean Smith?

8. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Sean Smith is arguably a top 3 cb in this class, I have no problem passing over Delmas or Nicks for him. I'd be happy with any of the three personally.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  9. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

i honestly dont think you can make a case for him being the #3 CB in this class.

you can make a case for Delmas being the best Safety and Nicks being the #2 best WR though

10. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    You can't make the case for him being the #3 cb? Really?

There are 3 guys unequivocally better?

11. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Davis Jenkins and Alphonso Smith are the top 3 and i dont think you can make a case for anyone else

12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Sean Smith is a better player than both Jenkins and Davis IMO. While I love Alphonso Smith, I think Sean Smith is better than him.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  13. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    thats mind blowing that someone could think Sean Smith is the best CB in the draft. but it is what it is....

14. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Why do you find it mind blowing? Also, whats your case for having Vontae Davis and Malcolm Jenkins over Sean Smith?

15. PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN

Nov 9, 2008
    I would love to have Sean Smith. His size alone( 6-3, 200 pounds!) makes me want Miami to draft him.

16. PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN

Nov 9, 2008
    BTW, what are the chances Sean Smith falls to our 2a pick?

17. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Slim IMO. Unless he runs a poor forty, I don't see him lasting until 2A.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  18. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    One thing that annoys me about Scott's 1st round is he always has Miami passing on Sintim. In his earlier mocks he has had him going to NE. He raved at how perfect CS was for NE defense. He seems to ignore the fact that he'd be equally perfect for our defense, instead giving us Cushing and Matthews when CS was still on the board, in later updates.

Speaking of which, Alen, do you think we'd go for Brian Cushing given his injury history? God I hope not.

As for the mock itself, I don't like it. I don't want Matthews or Iglesias. I wouldn't be at all upset with Sean Smith. Although he has Nicks still on the board, I doubt that will be reality. If he is, it's going to be tough to pass on him.

19. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Or we can just take Kenny Britt.

Sceeto and Regan21286 like this.
  20. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Would love to but barring a bad 40 time, Britt may not be there at 2b. If he yields an incredible 40 time, maybe not even our 1st or 2nd.

Sceeto and Frumundah Finnatic like this.
  21. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Not sure dude. I wouldn't think so because of the injury history as you mentioned and possible steroid use that's been talked about here for a while.

I'd put Sean Smith first and then probably Malcolm Jenkins. I like Alphonso Smith a lot though.

22. dolphinkev

dolphinkev Active Member

Jun 2, 2008
    CHARLESTON SC
    Round 2b: Juaquin Iglesias, WR, Oklahoma

He runs like julio.:lol:

No thanks

23. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    i just question whether Sean Smith has the hips or make up speed to turn and run with most WRs in the NFL. i dont know that he does and IMO he would be a better fit for FS in the NFL.

24. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    In my opinion, he does. I've watched him three times this year and he hasn't had any trouble with turning his hips. He changes directions and flip his hips quickly. I also think he has the recovery speed as I've seen it, an example being against Alabama in which he missed the bump at the line and was beaten deep but recovered to swat the ball away at the last second in the end zone.

25. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm sure he has a lot more film to watch, but Boomer has suggested that Smith and DJ Moore might be his 1 and 1a . . . so I don't think it's mind blowing. I have seen other scouts talking up Smith as well. I think he would be a steal at #44. Of course, so would Nicks.

26. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico New Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Quick questions for all you Draftniks out there, what position is this draft heavy on? Is this considered a deep draft or is it overall weak like Ronnie Brown's year (2005 I think)?

27. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico New Member

Jun 8, 2008

thanks for the quick reply bud lol at MC Hammer

28. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Here's who I would take.

Round 1: Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina

With Maclin, Brown, Orakpo, Raji, Jerry, Oher, Maybin, English, Maualuga, and Laurinaitis all off the board in this Mock Draft there aren't many players left who I would be really excited about in the 1st round. If Ireland and Parcells think Clay Matthews is worth it then I would have no problem with their decision but if the draft went down like this then you simply can't pass up Nicks. He's just too good and far more likely to be a big time player than Matthews.

Round 2a: Darius Butler, CB, UConn

I know there is a lot of love for Sean Smith on this board but I believe Butler will prove to be the better pro and I guarantee you that Butler will have a better workout at the Combine. He's available in this Mock but I wouldn't be surprised if he's off the board in real life by the time we pick in the 2nd round. If that's the case and Smith runs in the 4.4s at Indianapolis then I would be happy with him at #44.

Round 2b: Antoine Caldwell, C, Alabama

If we don't take Nicks in the 1st round then I would be all over Iglesias at #56. However since I have us taking Nicks in this Mock then I would nab the best Center still on the board late in the 2nd. I believe that would be Caldwell but Eric Wood and Jonathan Luigs could also be the pick. If we don't re-sign Crowder or sign somebody to take his place then Tyrone McKenzie might be the pick here.

Here's another guarantee for you. If we cut Crowder loose, don't sign anybody to replace him, and Laurinaitis is still on the board when we pick in the 1st round I would bet you a year's salary that he's our pick.

29. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    This year's draft is definitely heavy on offensive tackles. There could be as many as 6 taken in the 1st round. Here is how I would rank 2009.

1. OT
    2. WR (as many as 5 taken in the 1st round)
    3. DE (as many as 4 taken in the 1st round)
    4. CB (as many as 4 taken in the 1st round)
    5. RB (as many as 3 taken in the 1st round)
    6. OLB (as many as 4 taken in the 1st round)
    7. DT
    8. Center
    9. Safety
    10. OG
    11. ILB
    12. TE
    13. QB

The biggest dropoff is at CB and ILB. If you don't get one of those guys early then it's slim pickens in the later rounds.

Center and Safety are the two positions with the most talent the deeper you go. Don't reach for either of those positions this year. For example if Antoine Caldwell is off the board then Eric Wood might be just as good or better. If Rashad Johnson is off the board then Chip Vaughn or Courtney Green might be just as good or better.

30. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I'm with you bro.;) I want him with our 2a, but unfortunately, I don't think he's even going too be there for that pick. I think his stock is going to begin to soar and in the end, I think he will be the best WR of the draft.