1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft COuntdown mock 12/3/10

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jim1, Dec 5, 2010.

1. ascii

ascii People Watcher

Nov 27, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    Really? :no:

That seems more likely. :yes:

2. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'd be disgusted with Cam Newton if we picked him. I think a lot of people who come up with mocks (though Scott Wright really surprises me with this) are under the impression that Henne is still on the bench. I'd much rather take a look at Mark Ingram, Stefan Wisniewski, Mike Pouncey, or an OLB if we're at that point in the first round.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Whoever takes Ryan Mallett that high is not going to be happy IMO.

I'll be surprised if Fairely goes that high.

Love Stephen Paea.

Carimi to PITT makes a lot of sense. As does JJ Watt to PITT.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  4. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    totally agree on Mallett. He's mentally not even close yet IMO. Years away.

5. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Scott needs to be shot for this horrendous of a pick......... starting with the knee caps..... then the biscuits so he can't pass on this poor insight to his kids.

What's bad is he's had at least a month IIRC to make this mock since his last one. Newton has a better chance of surviving a KKK rally than he does being drafted by Miami IMO. By the time Newton is ready, Henne will have already won us his first SB. :lol:

6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I kind of like Jake Locker in the 3rd or 4th rd if we lose Thigpen.

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't think you'll see Jake Locker that late. He's probably a first rounder.

SICK and Vengeful Odin like this.
  8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm, well Mallet has better size and Locker has been inconsistent, so here's to hoping.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Mallett has been inconsistent as well. The guy gets so much hype for playing in a wide open system in which he struggles with ball placement accuracy. When is the last time Bobby Petrino produced a quarterback worth something?

As for size, Locker's fine in terms of size. He's more mobile than Mallett and slides around much better in the pocket. The size is not my problem.

10. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If a mid-round pick at QB is the route we go, I wouldn't mind taking a shot on Pat Devlin of Delaware. I've seen Alabama's Greg McElroy in person this year and I wouldn't mind using a late round pick on him. He's got a better arm than people give him credit for and is tough as nails. I think Tennessee hit him 10-12 times and he kept getting up and throwing strikes. Color me impressed.

11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Thing with Mallet is his prototype physical skills, size and can run good arm etc.

Locker is more of a pure pocket type, at least from what I have seen, but he can make all of the throws and does not require a Receiver to completely uncover to throw him the ball.

12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    McElroy is a good backup prospect IMO. I like him as well.

13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Mallett does not move as well as he's given credit for IMO.

Locker is very up and down. He's still transitioning into a pocket passer IMO.

14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Caught the Arkansas v Alabama (?) game and Mallet could move a bit watched Locker last night when he tried to run his feet were moving he just did not go anywhere..:D

I've read long time Pac 10 fans who think he is terrible, when I've watched him he was hitting all of the throws, making fast decisions that were proper and he has nice touch on the ball, maybe I just watched the two games where he was good and missed the ones he was terrible in?

15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yes, I've caught it. I don't think he moves as well as some people say. I also don't think he's quick enough dropping back because he has long strides. He has poor decision making skills and he has poor ball placement. I'm not a fan.

Go watch Locker against Nebraska. He's very up - down. Sarkisian has improved him some but I don't think he's ready yet. He'd be best served going to a team like Washington under Shanahan's watch and sit while McNabb plays.

16. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Locker's not just a pocket passer. He's incredibly mobile.

And Alen, I still can't understand this Nick Fairley thing. He's outstanding.

dolfan22 likes this.
  17. B.Sebo

B.Sebo TV Mastermind

Dec 16, 2007
    West Arkansas
    I would take Newton, if my boy Malzahn can come with him. :)

18. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    This is what I know about Cam Newton: better arm than Young or Tebow. Better runner than either. More accurate than either and probably more accurate than any draft eligible QB aside from Andrew Luck. Quick release. Makes NFL throws. Needs to work his progressions a little more, step into his throws a little more. But has so much talent.

mi2cents, schmolioot, SICK and 3 others like this.
  19. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Nice observation, he is a guy that a lot of people are against (for now) but one that really intrigues me. Boom, how does he compare to a Josh Freeman? That's a guy that has really gone under the radar IMO and is improving so fast, would love to have him as our QB right now. Unless Henne can pull a rabbit out of his hat and just go off these last few weeks, then we really need to look at a QB. Luck is out of the question obviously.

To me, anyone outside of round 1 is also out of the question. The list of successful QB's from outside of round 1 and UDFA's is vanishingly small - virtually nonexistent. That is why passing on Ryan will be the biggest mistake of the Parcells Miami era. We rolled the dice (again) on a second rounder and it's blowing up in our face. We have been going to the dollar store shopping for QBs ever since Marino took off his pads, and it has yet to work out. Enough.

If you want a QB, you take him with your first overall. I screamed this point when the debate over Long, Long, Ryan, Gholston, Dorsey was raging and Ryan's success (and by extension, the Falcons) is bearing that out. When you don't have a top QB and you have the chance to draft one, you do it, no questions asked.

20. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Josh Freeman is developing into a very nice QB. I haven't seen Tampa in a full game this season, only highlights so hard to judge.

21. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    If the board broke that way I'd be looking hard at Jonathan Baldwin, Wisniewski and Carimi. Not thrilled with Carey this year, but Baldwin and Wisniewski fill needs better. I still like Carimi quite a bit.

22. Speedy

Speedy Dolfan forever! :-)

Jan 12, 2010
    Germany
    :thanx: Great post, thanks. I'd love that pick! Newton is a really good guy, I don't know why so many people on here don't want him. :confused2:

SICK, gunn34 and Boomer like this.
  23. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    All anyone has to do is play cover 2 on henne and he will never sniff a SB. This is just silly.

Cam Newton would be an upgrade in our QB position. I do think we pick closer to 10 then 18.

24. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I concur , Fairely is a big time bonafide talent imo. He will go high.

25. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I have heard too much about his work ethic in practices to buy that. I heard the same about Jarron Gillbert when he was coming out and we saw how all that went. I'm not denying his talent.

26. dolfan22

I know you don't like Mallet , and with all due respect ,you have said you would not draft him period.

While I don't believe he is a finished , polished , poised product at this moment , I can't fathom him not being drafted high.

Do you really not value using any draft choice on him?

Cheers.

27. dolfan22

Ok , that is understandable .

Not intended for you , but for all in club , please keep some posts private , this way we can feel comfortable posting things we other wise would not.

Anyway .... I have a contact with Auburn ties ( former player ). He was at the game last weekend and has been to several because his best friend is a former all world Auburn rb that has access to their private plane. So the plane flies up to get him and then up here to get his buddy.

He says Fairely is an impact player at the next level and will be a high draft choice , certainly first round.

BTW they feel this is karma for 2004.

28. dolfan22

That is a comparison to Newton I can see btw ....

29. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I believe I said
    I am not a fan of him though. I just don't see it with him. We're talking about a guy who has had maturity issues in the past, he nearly packed his bags for the NFL prior to last years bowl game, not even choosing to prepare for it until the coaches got on him for it, his ball placement is not very good, he's in a wide open offense that uses a ton of spacing concepts, his accuracy overall is not very good IMO, his dropbacks are not quick enough because of long strides and I don't think he's as gifted when it comes to mobility as some portray him to be.

A scout once said, if I don't like him in round one, nor round two or three, why would I like him after that? That basically sums it up for me.

You got it mate. I appreciate you sharing that with me. Very kind of you.

I think Fairley has talent, it would not surprise me if he's a first round pick, as I've said before, I am just not ready to buy into him yet. I'm not saying he's going to bust out, I'm not saying he will be all-world, I'm just saying I am hesitant about him. I am cautious.

30. dolfan22

As an aside , they both STILL feel that Jason Campbell can be an effective starter in the NFL.

They believe he hasn't been given an honest chance and told me they would take him as a back up with potential to be a solid starter . If he shakes free I would take him with that scenario sooner than yesterday.

31. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't know if I see the Josh Freeman comparison for Cam Newton. I'm not looking forward to the debates that are going to rage around here if we select around the 10 to 12 range and Cam Newton declares.

The staff might have to just pre-emptively ban KB21 from talking about Newton. I'm not even saying Keith would resort to insulting anyone or going off topic. But he has a great ability to bring that out in others when he starts talking about a black quarterback.

Boomer likes this.
  32. dolfan22

I have been told by the 2 Auburn alum rb's , that he will definitely enter the draft , and that they have told him he should , fwiw.

mi2cents and Stitches like this.
  33. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    You have missed some games :)

he has been terrible sometimes.

34. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I heard the same.

35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    My question about Cam Newton is, does anyone's opinion of him change if Tony Sparano is fired and Stephen Ross tries to make a splash of a hire, brings on Jim Harbaugh?

Before Harbaugh ever had Andrew Luck at Stanford, he had Josh Johnson at San Diego...and Johnson was the Cam Newton of the FCS. His final two seasons at San Diego he was 452 of 672 passing (67.3%) for 6308 yards (9.4 YPA), 77 TDs and 6 INTs, only 26 sacks for 172 yards lost, with 208 rushes for 1446 yards and 13 Rush TDs. I kid you not. 90 TDs and 7582 NET yards in 2 years for Josh Johnson, and only 6 interceptions.

Obviously not against the SEC. Or the NFL. But I'm just saying...Jim Harbaugh doesn't just have experience coaching the Andrew Luck pocket passers of the world.

36. Speedy

Jan 12, 2010
    Germany
    The skin color must not play a role. It's about how good the player is and how he could help your team! Nothing else.
    I will really hate the debates about Newton, come March and April, I'm going to try to avoid that. I REALLY LIKE HIM AND HOPE WE GET HIM! THIS IS MY OPINION! Nothing more. :)

37. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Skin color plays a role whether you like it or not, and even the people that would vehemently deny skin color has anything to do with their perception of a player are probably just misdiagnosing their own feelings. Is what it is.

Stitches and Boomer like this.
  38. dolfan22

Well if for say Miami hired Harbaugh and he wanted Newton , then I would take it as real positive. He would not have inherited him and presumably would have to be totally on board with a first round selection such as that , no?

39. Speedy

Jan 12, 2010
    Germany
    Yeah, maybe it does play a role, I admit that, but it shouldn't. :(