1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft Countdown updated mock 11/11/08

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jim1, Nov 12, 2008.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
  2. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    There's so much of that I disagree with, but Orakpo is such a one trick pony. Pfffft.

3. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Who would you take? Let's assume we're drafting somewhere reasonable given our current record.

Two questions:

How good is WR Maclin?

What do you think about Alex Mack? Would you take him with our 1st pick in the 2nd rd, or do more pressing needs win the day? The problem with the thesis is a logjam (sort of) at G with Donald Thomas coming back. I'm torn- Satele is good, but do you take the potentially great C and move Satele to G with Smiley and Thomas there? I remain confused as usual.

4. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Wow.... This thing is really bad starting with the very first pick...

Of course we would go DE, I mean, we only spent two high round picks on DE last year, and we are SERIOUSLY shallow at DT, CB, WR, possibly G, MLB...........

5. ssmiami

ssmiami Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orakpo would be a OLB not DE, i would have Greg Hardy over Orakpo anytime.

6. joeydolfan

joeydolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Having Bradford at #3 is a mistake as I highly doubt he comes out this year. Aaron Curry, Sen'Derrick Marks, Greg Hardy, George Selvie or William Moore would all be better choices than Orakpo.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  7. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    When did Matthew Stafford become a better QB prospect than Sam Bradford? Seriously,..........can anyone who watches college football say that Bradford is second fiddle to Stafford?

I could certainly see us taking a OLB, but not Orakpo. Larry English has better burst and hustle, Sintim would aurvive being on the right side of the O-line for a long time due to his base strength. Orakpo takes plays off, doesn't hustle and lacks the ability to anchor against the run very well, and get off blocks in the run game. I would much rather have either Sintim or English on my team right now.

azfinfanmang, alen1 and Boomer like this.
  8. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

Greg Hardy, Sen'Derrick Marks, Brandon Pettigrew, Larry English, Clint Sintim, Demarcus Granger. That's just 6 of many who I'd take over Orakpo. For me, drafting Mack and getting rid of Satele is addition by subtraction. But don't forget, Parcells and Ireland, when they were in Dallas, drafted Andre Gurode in R2 a year after the previous administration had drafted Al Johnson in the same round.

9. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Gurode was a G from Colorado wasn't he? He didn't make the switch until Johnson got hurt one year I think, and he played the spot so well they left him there. I do remember that there was mention that Gurode could probably play C, but he hadn't until that point I think.

But I do agree that this regime doesn't have any allegiance to any previous player - ever. If you work well for them, that's great, if not - have a nice day.

10. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

Ah, you might be right. My old memory isn't what it used to be.

11. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Yours and mine. :up:

12. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Cheers grandad.

Conuficus likes this.
  13. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

Yeah, thats where I was headed with my First overall pick being wrong. No way no How is Stafford even close the being the QB that Sam Bradford is...and I doubt Bradford even comes out.

I also have stated, and still have issues with Rey Laualuga going so early. IF he didnt play for USC, he wouldnt be on anybody's first round board IMO.
    He goes early in the second round IMO.

14. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Freakin geezers.

Lab3003 likes this.
  15. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

No McCoy or Harrell, are you kidding me?:no:

16. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I don't think McCoy is coming out.

17. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    i dont think mccoy is going to be declaring this year and I dont think harrell is first round material as of right now.

18. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    You're just jealous that your Depends undergarments don't look as cool as ours thats all. Just spend the extra $1 for the colored ones - live a little.

19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    What are your guys thoughts on Rafael Priest, CB of TCU? He's small at 5'10, 163 lbs but seems like a ballhawk. He has one pick this year and three last year. I haven't really seen him play but with the small frame, I would think he would have trouble going up with bigger Receivers.

Also, anyone watching Central Michigan vs NIU? I'm kicking myself for missing the first half due to falling asleep earlier but this second half is a hell of a game so far. Larry English had been pretty silent from what I've seen up until a couple minutes into the fourth. At the 12:22 mark, he rushes wide and the Tackle gets his hands on him. He sheds the block and stops LeFevour on a scramble. The next play, he displays a tremendous bulrush. Almost like he is pushing a car if you ask me. He bent his knees well and just drove into the Tackle with all his power, sending him into the backfield. The Central Michigan RB chips English, he then proceeds to an inside spin-move and sacks LeFevour. What a play that was. He's playing with six pins and hasn't missed a game this year. Really hoping to see him in a Dolphins uniform next year.

20. PerfectTeam

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    you and me both man. right now every mock ive done ive had him as my fourth round pick going by what nfldraftscout.com has for rankings. The guy needs some seasoning but from what ive seen he definitely has the potential to be good.

another name to look out for is wr jeremy gilchrist from hampton. ive been reading up on him and cant seem to find highlights but the guy is a fairly good punt returner. small at about 5'10 170 or so but has that make the first guy miss ability that sparano loves in bess but he has the ability to take it the distance.

21. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    NFLdraftscout has him in round 4? I think he'll be a 2nd-3rd or at least that's where I have him.

Never heard of Gilchrist. I'm interested in David Gettis of Baylor. 6'4" track star whose a very hard worker. Very raw as a WR though.

22. PerfectTeam

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Yea they have him in round 4 as of right now. Is that where he is going to end up? Maybe, a little to early to tell. Right now I have him in the 3-5 range until workouts start happening and all star games. They have Kevin Barnes in the 4th-5th round right now too which gave me a decent laugh. Larry English in the 4th followed by Kevin Barnes in the 5th. Talk about pipe dreams :lol:.

Gettis sounds interesting. Those measurables are great and he has some decent production. I like Ellis Gaulden from Connecticut based on a measurable stand point. Not much production with 20 catches, but 6-2 200 pds with 4.42 speed is always worth a look. Justin Brown from Hampton to at 6-2 200 with 4.55 speed is another guy I wish I could get some film on.

23. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    This may be a little off topic but does anyone think Shawn Murphy will be the center for this team in the future if Satele doesn't fit into their plans? Would give us an answer as to why he isn't being discussed to play right guard this season.

24. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

Priest is a day one pick if he comes out. I've got him at 177, but his stock will rise and fall somewhat on how much he weighs when he hits the scales. But he can play.

Where are you seeing all this English action dude? Damn NIU to hell for playing every midweek! I'm all aboard that boat with you my man.

alen1 likes this.
  25. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I think English could easily end up in round 1. It will all depend on what he runs, but at 6'3 and 3/8 and 256 and with the pass rush skills he has, the play diagnosis, the lateraly ability to work down the play from the backside, etc., he really fits the mold of what we're after and he's got tremendous character - this is a kid that won the MAC's Leadership Award a season ago and is an Honour Roll student with a 3.2GPA.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  26. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Damn I guess I should have watched that game last night.

Anyone watch a little bit of Frank Zombo? Joe Staley spoke very highly of him coming out.

27. RealDriscoll

RealDriscoll Banned

Jan 9, 2008
    Larry English is a very good player. I'd love him in Round 2.

Boomer you have a Top 200 List?

I been watching tape on Sen'Derrick Marks and am starting to agree with Boomer. This guy is really good.

My Top 5 is as follows for Round 1
    -Malcolm Jenkins
    -Sen'Derrick Marks
    -Aaron Curry
    -Rey Maualuga
    -Vontae Davis

28. RealDriscoll

RealDriscoll Banned

Jan 9, 2008
    A good Dolphins draft could look....

1: Sen'Derrick Marks-Defensive Tackle-Auburn
    2A: Larry English-Defensive End/Outside Linebacker-Northern Illinois
    2B: Kevin Barnes-Cornerback-Maryland
    3: Brian Robiskie-Wide Receiver-Ohio State

4-7.. I'll worry about later

29. joeydolfan

joeydolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    I would take that draft anyday of the week and walk away a very happy man.

30. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I'd say it is a very chance he ends up in Round 1. His first step is too explosive to be hanging around in Round 3. He hustles which will elevate him as well. The level of competition thing will be a knock, but the first time he lights someone up off the edge in a Bowl game or all star game he'll shoot up boards. If you can rush the passer, you'll get drafted high in the NFL these days.

anlgp likes this.
  31. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    You sort of answered your own question. I don't think Parcells and Ireland would target a small CB no matter how talented he may be. But what do I know?

The bigger issue is the fact that Priest is a junior and unlikely to declare.

I didn't see that game but I haven't been impressed by English this year. Victor Butler from Oregon State might actually prove to be better. Unfortunately Butler is probably too small for Parcells and Ireland. Unless he can play ILB. Might be worth a 7th round pick to find out.

The guy I really like is Everette Brown from Florida State. He played TE in high school so he has the athleticism to move from DE to OLB.

32. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Priest is an interesting player but I wonder if he will be thrown around by bigger WR's on Sundays. Then again, Antoine Winfield was about ten pounds heavier than Priest when he came out and he's a physical player.

:lol:

I love mid-week games, especially since Larry English is there every time.

I think he could slip in late round one but I still have him in second round until the practices. I don't know about him as a teen pick though. I would think its early for him but last year Gholston went early and he's muscle from head to toe and that's it. He has very good lateral ability, it was displayed last night on a few occasions. I still think he needs an inside move. He displayed an inside spin move as I mentioned earlier. It was a beauty. I really enjoy watching him and it was very interesting when the commentator said he would be a great fit opposite of a Joey Porter in Miami. Its like he read my mind. I also agree with you on his character. Talking about a guy who has spent many hours working with the mentally challenged children and has worked with Red Cross to help the poor and many other things. Honor scholar with a 3.0 GPA I thought it was? Either way, he's a great student and player and an even better person.

33. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Lol, I may have answered my own question. I was hoping to get some more insight on him.

What hasn't impressed you about English? He may have struggled this year because he's playing with six pins in his hand but has 5.5 sacks I believe. He looked great in the second half (I missed the first half). He has a great motor, works hard as he watched tape of Dwight Freeney all off-season trying to perfect the spin move and is a great character. Displays great quickness. Last year he played very well and I think this year he's playing good.

I like Everette Brown also. 6'4", 252 and has the speed at 4.6. And as you mention, spent time playing TE in HS. Has anyone seen any of Dexter Davis of ASU?

By the way, heads up on tonights game. Macho Harris in action against the fantastic (:D) freshmen Aldarius Johnson of UM. Hopefully my Canes beat some Hokie behind.

34. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    LOL. Dude, I don't even have a top 2 list let alone top 200. It's WAY TOO EARLY for me to start looking at that stuff.

35. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Barnes is likely to fall from day 1 because of the shoulder injury, the likelihood that he'll miss All Star games and may not even be ready for Indy, especially not to lift.

If we drafted Robiskie anywhere before the 16th round, I'd sick onto my own lap.

36. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    His first three steps are hugely impressive. Wil be interesting to see his long speed, but he blows off the ball like Jevon Kearse in his heydey. The same level of competition didn't hurt when Parcells and Ireland drafted Ware as you know.

This is a guy that bears some REALLY close watching.

37. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Not sure why you'd think Priest is unlikely to declare because he's a junior. He's just as likely to come out as anyone, especially as you then pimp Everette Brown, a junior.

38. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Yeah I'd agree with that. part of me says they like those small school guys just so they can mold them more. No hype, no attitude as they know they are the small fish in the big pond - at least at first. English is very quick, I'll say that. I don't think he has long speed, but his first 3 are ridiculous.

This guy will rise, if he gets that cast off and has the strength in the hand back before the all star games he could blow someones doors off. He does get off blocks, he just uses the player's momentum to get him off, byt using his hands very well to get off a drive block and make a play. He doesn't hold well at the POA, but some added strngth may help with that issue.

Him and Sintim are on my 1st round watch for serious guys right now for the OLB spot.

alen1 likes this.
  39. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Talking of Brown, I'd like to see him up in the 258+ bracket because FSU are notoriously weight heavy with their weightsand inch high with their heights. Brown being 6'4 and 252 makes me think he's prbably 6'3 and 245 max.

There would also be that questionable history of FSU ends or conversion linebackers that only Peter Boulware has recently broken the mold of; Reinard Wilson, Kam Wimbley, Alonzo Jackson, Jamal Reynolds, etc.

40. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    My concern with English is that he may be one-dimensional. He might be limited to a role as a pass-rusher only and he disappears for stretches at a time. Half his sacks this season came in one game.

That being said I'm no expert. Nor do I have any inside information. However, the few times I have seen English play he has not impressed me. I might have just caught him on an off-day.

I saw Davis play against against USC and Oregon State. He wasn't a factor in the USC game obviously but he had a decent game against Oregon State. Plays with his hand in the dirt so he would have to make the conversion to OLB. I can't say whether he could pulll it off or not but he's probably too short to play OLB for Parcells and company.

I like him as player but I wonder if he'd be a good fit for our defense.

That sounds like a good matchup.