1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft Had Soliai Sweating

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by njfinfan, May 1, 2009.

1. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...liai-draft-nose-tackle-042909,0,4300788.story

Backup nose tackle Paul Soliai was nearly as nervous watching last weekend's draft as he was two years ago when the Dolphins selected him in the fourth round out of Utah.

He wasn't experiencing a déjà vu, but felt if the Dolphins didn't take another nose tackle that would mean they still had confidence in him after a turbulent second season.

Bpk, evz, ToddsPhins and 4 others like this.
  2. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I still think he is walking on thin ice because of his lack of production. If Joe Cohen beats him out in training camp he may be gone. The Dolphins need a good NT not an under achieving, underperforming backup. Solai has the size and potential but does he have the desire?

Agua and njfinfan like this.
  3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I think Soliai will make his bones this year.
    However, we still need another NT to enter rotation after Ferguson is gone,
    Should have two starter Quality NT's in the 3-4 & a backup.
    Maybe we can coach-up one of the super-sized DT's on our current roster .
    If not, will probably be the #1 article in the next draft or free agency.

4. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    I think they would have drafted one if one they liked was available but they were not going to reach for one which would indicate it was not a priority need .

They did sign an UDFA at the position and they may pick one up from late cuts so Solai will get some compètition.

Sceeto and njfinfan like this.
  5. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    On the flipside, it could also say a lot about what the FO sees in Paul Soliai.

6. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    think they picked up another prospect/project @ NT yesterday
    might turn out to be canon fodder for mini camp, we'll see

7. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Exactly.... we had too many needs and CB/WR were deep with talent this year, where as NT and MLB weren't. Next year seems to be a good crop of LBs and NTs, so why force it this draft when we can probably get better value next year.

8. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I think Paul should be still sweating, and looking over his shoulder.

unluckyluciano and njfinfan like this.
  9. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I think Soliai will be fighting to keep his roster spot this year. We shall see how camps go.

10. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    he needs to be sweating ... about 30 lbs off !!

njfinfan likes this.
  11. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    it was Louis Ellis 6'2" 320lbs out of a small college. was outstanding amongst the smaller schools. fits the prototype NFL NT, excellent quickness, good feet & very strong. may just be a diamond in the rough. will certainly be a developmental project @ NT. we'll know more after they get the pads on & start hitting. he's got time to learn if he's got what it take to play the position

12. Mile High Fin

Mile High Fin New Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    This is Soliai's make-or-break year for him.

I hope the light clicks *on* for him fully this year, because then we're looking good for the next few years, since he's still pretty young guy.

If not, we'll have to invest ANOTHER draft pick or FA money on the spot next year....

13. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I don't think it's a bad thing that he was worried about his position, I think all players should be worried about their spot. Once a player becomes secure, they tend to become complacent and then lazy. I want all of my players to go into the season feeling that they have something to prove and something to improve upon.

Soliai seemed to get better as the year went on, hopefully he can continue with that momentum and become a force at NT. If he doesn't....

....Terrence Cody ;)

late again likes this.
  14. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Cody will have to shed quite a bit of weight to play here IMO. Considering they are asking UDFA Louis Ellis to shed weight at 320, Cody will have to do the same, except that he's somewhere between 365-380. One thing that I think will help him with that is his lateral agility.

Speaking of next years interior defensive line class, I think its going to be a very talented one. I also think its a big part of the reason the management did not go after one in this years draft. The overall class was weak this year but next year, the same can't be said.

15. joeydolfan

joeydolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth

Cody is down in the 335 - 340 lb range so far Alen heading into the season...

I read it on an update for the Alabama spring game... looks like he is getting serious about getting his weight under control to improve his stamina and agility....

Cody is definitely a good prospect... but if I have a choice I take Suh hands down end of story....

Stitches likes this.
  16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Haven't heard that, thanks. Hopefully he continues to shed it, though I think a strong season will take him out of our range. I haven't seen Suh at all to be honest so I'm looking forward to catching at least one Nebraska game here on TV in Florida.