1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft Late Hit News...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by ATVZ400, Apr 13, 2008.

Tags:
  1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    * The starting time for the April 26 draft has been pushed back from noon to 3 p.m. to get most of the first round into a more popular TV watching time. Roger Goodell also cut the marathon first-round time limit from 15 to 10 minutes per club and the second round from 10 to seven. The excuse for the extra time was a joke: Teams supposedly sat waiting for the phone to ring on last-minute deals. But all it really did was give ESPN and the NFL Network more time to work in highlights, meaningless chatter and commercials.

* This is the last year of the NFL's contract with Radio City. The league is interested in keeping the draft there, but will also explore other options, including taking the show on the road.

* The NFL has invited six players to the draft: Chris Long, Jake Long, Vernon Gholston, Matt Ryan, Glenn Dorsey and Darren McFadden. None of them wants to be the next Aaron Rodgers or Brady Quinn and sweat it out for hours in the green room. Ryan should not fall any further than No. 8 to the Ravens. Even with McFadden's baggage, he won't fall out of the top 10. Both could go in the top five.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...l_coaches_look_back_on_flops_agai.html?page=0

alen1 likes this.
  2. nyfinzfan

nyfinzfan Dolphins shall rise!

Mar 25, 2008
    Albion NY
    Noon was better. Anyone who watches it is hardcore. They'd be more apt to get up and get ready to watch it than sit around all day waiting till 3 (although most still will). Point is there was no reason to move it and they may have even lost a few.

3. The Rev

The Rev Totus Tuus Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box Club Member

Didn't they say that last year about Quinn and Miami. :shifty:

4. Baxter

Baxter Premium Member Luxury Box

Not happy with them moving back the start time. It just means I will have to wait longer for the phins to pass on Matt Ryan, and crush adamprez's dreams. :tongue2:

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    :sneaky2:

:nono:

6. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    3? Bleh. I was kinda excited by the reduction in times, but moving it back that late is kinda irritating. I was one of the hardcore people who sat and watched the entire thing, and I enjoyes kinda making it an all day thing. Seperated some of the hardcore people from the posers I guess ;)

I assume thats eastern time though, which means 2pm here, not quite so bad.

I actually dont forsee any of the invitees this year waiting to long. I think the problems happen when there are multiple people from each position invited (Alex Smith/Rodgers, JaMarcus Russell/Quinn). Sometimes only 1 of them will go. If you invite only 1 person at a spot, they are more likely to be snapped up.

At least Goodell ushers them off to a side room, unlike Tags who just let them sit there looking like they were about to commit suicide:tongue2:

7. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Ryan falls to the Bears IMO.

8. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I really think the Falcons take him myself, but the Bears I think would be the furthest he falls if he starts dropping. I just dont see the premiere QB making it through the top 10, if only by someone trading in.

Both Rodgers and Quinn fell when one other QB was taken ahead of them and some other teams made some other moves. With Ryan, he IS the top QB, and the only projected top 10, hard to see him dropping that far.

9. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX

:tongue2:

Edit: I can't believe the filter doesn't get that.