1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft Review w/ Ireland: "If our board is right, we killed it"

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by FinNasty, May 1, 2012.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I like that Ireland seems intent on "sticking to the board" and I suspect he did get great value.

The reality is, though I have been strongly critical of him, he has a strong integrity to follow what he knows and not be swayed (so one hopes with the Tannehill pick; if he has Tannehill as a mid-high 1st round talent - and he's right, that is great for us). For that, he has to be respected (even if one disagrees with his past or his acumen). That said, one of the greatest coaches in NCAA history, coach K, was 9 games under .500 his first three seasons. Doubt he'd have lasted these days. That Ireland is the GM of the Dolphins - I'm rooting that he made great decisions and that this becomes a great draft (as I hope last year's does as well).

There have been drafts in the past where I thought Ireland was not too happy. Just seemed tired and a bit disappointed. Esp. the Davis / White year.

This year, he seems a great deal more content with the draft - in spite of facing tremendous pressure from the fans (even more pressure than in 2009 draft). So, that may be a good sign.

2. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    Nothing wrong with Jeff Ireland. He is no longer under the wings of the Tuna.

3. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011

um sidney rice but he got hurt.

4. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I have always thought Ireland is a quality GM.

5. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    And the boss left a year ago, but the policies stayed in place until recently. That's what I'm getting at. Why are we giving credit to Ireland and not the new boss, Ross? If Ireland is a guy who does what his boss tells him, why is it that Ireland is the one deciding to comment to the media, as opposed to Ross telling him to be more open?

Yes, I'm talking clearly about the transition from scout to GM. I'm saying that Ireland hasn't done it very well, and no, Parcells has nothing to do with it. Jeff Ireland was not fetching coffee for four years.

6. Mrtree

Mrtree Juan Huron's agent

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I think this is easily his best draft here. The pundits only have two knocks on it. Either they cite Tannehill is a reach or ask where were the receivers. I don't think there is such a thing as a reach at the qb spot. Either you get the right guy or you don't. If Tannehill develops then that argument is moot. As for receivers I don't think they believe it is a value position. Green Bay treats it the same way and their offense ain't bad.

Martin and Miller were enormous value picks.

7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I don't argue that Ross didn't have something to do with it. That part I don't honestly know. I acknowledged the time between now and when Parcells was here. Its only been one off season. I don't think that is a ridiculous amount of time to shake off the training you got from Parcells. He did draft differently last year than the years prior.

No you aren't. You're trying to give me **** for pointing out he was a highly regarded scout. You said that has nothing to do with being a GM.

MrClean likes this.
  8. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The point is that if Ireland was ready and able to shake off Parcells' training, then it would have been done sooner. Ireland was content all of 2010 and 2011 to do business the way he was taught since at least 2002. The one thing that's changed hasn't been Parcells' departure—he's been gone for two full seasons now—but fan pressure and increased involvement from Stephen Ross.

Ireland may or may not like explaining himself to the media and fans as he's been doing lately, but my point is that it likely wasn't his idea. That's it.

Thanks for telling me what I'm doing, I guess I just sort of stumbled my fingers across the keyboard and the words randomly assembled themselves.

All I said is that the job description of GM has nothing to do with the job description of a scout. So using "Ireland is a good scout" as a way to claim that "Ireland is a good GM" is a false construction. Ted Thompson isn't a good GM because he may or may not be a good scout. Neither are Kevin Colbert, Ozzie Newsome, or any of the other NFL GMs who are good at their jobs.

You can continue to extract meaning where none exists, but my posts are pretty self-explanatory. I'm not even saying these things in a negative context, yet you seem to be taking them that way.

9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I never tried to make the argument that because he was a good scout that means he's a good GM. Try to wrap your head around that.

I'm also not telling you what you're doing, I only repeated it:
    Sooooo, yeah. I summed up your point succinctly, (which you made because you're arguing a point I never made).

As far as shaking off Parcells training, I didn't say Ross had anything to do with it or not. I don't know, and shocking as this to you, neither do you. I do however know that Ireland has turned a corner, which never would have happened while Parcells was here.