1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft Tea Leaves

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Pandarilla, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I'm anticipating this draft for the intrigue, but I fully expect Ireland to screw it up proper.

I'm hoping to read which direction he's gonna take this draft, like a gypsy reads tea leaves.

-QB at #15 means Tony is an even lamer duck.
    -Ingram at #15 means there is still a chance for Tony.
    -OT means they could both be toast.

My suggestion for a path would be QB, OT, OG and then let Ireland carpetbomb for offensive playmakers in the later rounds.

What scenario means what to you?

2. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Taking a QB at 15 would mean Tony is safe. If he's taking a QB he's going to get time to see him through.

3. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I can see this. But only if the qb drafted show extreme promise.

4. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Maybe if said QB were to start the season and make tremendous progress. Otherwise, I don't see the fanbase putting up with another sub 500 season...Pffft, but whatever, man. No offense, but FECK! How has Tony lasted this long?

5. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    The tarot never lies....... Defense :wink2:

padre31 likes this.
  6. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Killer, are you rhetorically just trying to flick me behind my proverbial ears or give me the long term thought proccess behind a strategy of drafting defense.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    What I think:

-Ross loves Ireland, and Ireland has been around the NFL long enough to know the GM sticks with the Owner, not the Head Coach, when times get hot, I also think Ireland will fire Sparano if we have 2010 Redux.

-I think Ross just wants a winner and it is up to Ireland to produce it, that could mean he does his usual trade back routine or it could mean he promises Sparano he will spend big money in FA but he is going Qb early in the draft

-Think Nolan will get one, maybe two, guys he wants in this draft as in the past the unit who performed got the plums like White in 09 and the Defense heavy draft in 2010, Ireland has also been around long enough to know offenses catch up to defenses quickly and the Defense MUST play well in 2011.

-Think Daboll is a flunky and Sparano has far more input on which offensive players we draft as Daboll was a surprise hire after a bad yr in Cleveland meaning he has no juice with Ireland or at least not as much juice as Nolan had when he was hired after a strong yr in Denver.

Pandarilla likes this.
  8. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Well, looking in my cup of tea leaves, here's what I see...

Even though Sparano has stuck by Henne, stating how much progress he has made, I think this year we take a shot at a franchise QB in the first round, and my money is going to be on Ryan Mallett. Not so much for Mallett to be a first year starter (which I would like to see though, provided Daboll molds his offense around Mallet and not hte other way around), but to send a message to Henne..."Last chance kid". Much like Shula did with David Woodley when the Dolphins drafted Marino.

I dont really see us going for a running back in the draft. There is still some pretty good talent out there, not only on our roster but in free agency. Sproles comes to mind in San Diego, but neither here nor there, we all know the basics of a running game and that running game MUST be anchored by a solid offensive line. Not every running back coming out in the draft is a Barry Sanders who needed no offensive line. Emmitt Smith, LaDanian Tomlinson, etc all had incredible careers anchored on a solid offensive line, so with that being said, I'm looking for an offensive guard to anchor the left side of the line next to Jake Long.

I'm not a "draft nut" who has the clarvoyancy of "The Force" to see past our second pick, but for our first 2 picks, that's what my tea leaves tell me.

9. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    3 years is long? Lots of coaches (even those with losing records; of which Sparano isn't one) play out their contract even when the results are less than desired.

10. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    i'm with Pads and have been regarding Defense .... it IS how we will win games this year, while the offense limps around finding itself. given that, i see the alter ego to Wake at SOLB to improve QB pressure -- namely Alton Smith @ 15 should we stay there (maybe Quinn, but can't confirm that we had a PW with him) ....

IF Smith is gone, then Pouncey becomes the default pick ... unless we get an opportunity to trade down ...

we worked out a lot of QBs and RBs .... but we also put great effort into finding that 2d speed rusher off the end to help push this defense towards elite. We aren't finding that guy in RDs 3-7 .... really not RD2 either.

if Smith or Quinn are there .... they are my pick ....

11. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I think it'll be pouncey7. Fills a need, can be dominant, versatile and can play right away. Mallett would require time

12. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    I don't know if Ross is going to deem "Winning with Defense" acceptable.

13. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think winning by any means is what Ross is after and the defense can carry the offense while it sorts itself out, which is more or less a return to WannyBall but I suspect Sparano, err, Daboll, will run more 3 Wr/No huddle sets this yr to try and squeeze more production out of Henne as he was effective in that scheme in 2010.

Which means Ronnie B could very well be back in 2011 as 1 back in the backfield sets mandate a running back who can handle blitz pickups and I don't see Sparano, errr, Daboll, betting the farm that a Rookie Rb can handle that job.

14. PHINANALYST

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    Pads, agree again .... i'm thinking that Ross really won't care 'how' we win ... as long as we do -- and can make the playoffs. DEFENSE is how we will accomplish that ... at least for the next couple years ....

Regarding Ronnie .... not sure, but believe we will draft a 'mid round' RB - maybe a UDFA and bring in a FA and sort it out from there.

15. PhinishLine

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    I think Ross cares about an exciting team and putting people in the seats. Our team produces some of the more boring games on television. That translates into the bottom line. Because although our defense is good and keeps us in/wins game...its no steel curtain. It would be one thing if we had an exciting defense like a Ravens D, but its not even that. Its not going to win us a Superbowl or probably even get us into the playoffs the way the AFC is playing out these years. While I am a proponent of a strong defense and a consistent running game....I just don't think this offense will sort itself outself out. I think it needs to be "retooled" and "reconfigured" into a more dynmaic machine. As of now we have 1 dimension and once that dimension is taken away we turn into what we see every Sunday.

16. PHINANALYST

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    Honestly, i don't think our Offense is quite as bad as its made out to be .... clearly it needs a couple upgrades - OL, 2d TE, and a RB that doesn't dance or uses patience just a bit too much would go a long way towards improvement.

yes, Ross has stated he wants a more 'electric' offense ... but in the same breath he keep Sparano

we made the playoffs with CP, very boring .... and everyone was singing roses .... they will do the same again, even if its with Henne ....

17. PhinishLine

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    I don't think the O is that bad either PA. I just think that its 1 dimensional. And once you take that dimension away...THEN...we become not very good.

18. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Dude, he lost his team late in the season. He can't develop a QB, in fact, quite the opposite. He tinkered with his area of expertise so much that he almost effed up Jake's knee just to make a point(effin' amateur tough guy). He's Wannyball 2.0...How much more would you want to see.

In Fact, his implosion by midway through next season would be the best thing that ever happened to this current team (i.e. Luck and his departure).

19. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    How did he mess up Jake's knee?

20. PHINANALYST

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    Henne or not, this team will NOT 'earn' the #1 pick next year .... just no way .... even if we screw up the draft, i see us no worse than .500 again this year.

Even with a horrendous HC ...

21. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    By making him play in the last pre-season game in Dallas. Jake buckled and a million beady little eyes set their glare on Sparano. He never should have been out there, period.

22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    words of wisdom from Ryan Leaf

alen1 likes this.
  23. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Not if they win one home game again ....