1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft Tek mock draft updated 12/9/09

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jim1, Dec 10, 2008.

Tags:
  1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    1 Detroit Andre Smith OT Alabama
    2 Cincinnati Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State
    3 St Louis Eugene Monroe OT Virginia
    4 Kansas City Matt Stafford QB Georgia
    5 Seattle Michael Crabtree WRF Texas Tech
    6 Oakland Brian Orakpo DE43 Texas
    7 Jacksonville Aaron Curry OLB43 Wake Forest
    8 Cleveland Knowshon Moreno RBF Georgia
    9 San Francisco Michael Johnson OLB34 Georgia Tech
    10 Green Bay Michael Oher OT Mississippi
    11 San Diego Taylor Mays FS USC
    12 Buffalo Brian Cushing OLB43 USC
    13 Houston Vontae Davis CB Illinois
    14 Washington Greg Hardy DE43 Mississippi
    15 Chicago William Moore FS Missouri
    16 Minnesota Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma
    17 New Orleans Alphonso Smith CB Wake Forest
    18 Philadelphia James Laurinaitis ILB Ohio State
    19 Denver SenDerrick Marks DT43 Auburn
    20 Miami Rey Maualuga ILB USC
    21 NY Jets Tim Tebow QB Florida
    22 Detroit Terrence Cody DT43 Alabama
    23 Atlanta Jason Smith OT Baylor
    24 Arizona Chris Wells RBF Ohio State
    25 New England Brandon Spikes ILB Florida

I think that most would argue that Bradford is a better prospect than Stafford- I'm still a big Stafford fan. I see him as a prototypical pocket passer with one of the best arms that I've ever seen. And he has game management skills/intangibles as well- if they came out the same year I would take Stafford over Jamarcus Russell in a heartbeat- million dollar arm/10cent head doesn't cut it.

Draft Tek - NFL Consensus Mock Draft 2009 Round 1

2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Talk is in Kansas City that they may turn to the spread offense full-time and possibly draft a QB. If they do go to that, I'd take Bradford.

3. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    You know Alen, I think they've found the QB that they are at least going to invest a few years in, in Tyler Thigpen. He's certainly done enough to warrant a longer look.

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think Thigpen has done good job as well. I read that they do plan on taking a look at him. I was saying that if they do draft a QB and decide to run a spread, I think they should go with Bradford.

5. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    You know, Thigpen has shockingly played some solid ball for them. Any chance they go with Crabtree, or even ditch Johnson and go with Beanie/Knowshon?

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Wouldn't shock me if they went either direction honestly. They need another guy opposite of Bowe. What I think they need is a good pass-rusher. When you have only six (or something like that) sacks on the season, your team has issues. They need a good pass rusher.

7. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I would caution against this line of thinking. Cleveland thought they found a quarterback in Derek Anderson and he totally collapsed once his job was secure.

8. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    IMO I also see the spread as the current fad thing, I doubt that it will hang on for a long time once teams really start to defense it.

9. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Definately. I only wonder if they will be with a new management after this season or not. That could help determine which direction they go.

10. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Wasn't the Cover-2/Tampa-2 designed to contain the passing game? Sounds like some adjustments are in order.

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    The question is, how long will it take for teams to figure out to defend it? New England has had success against teams with it. As well as KC now. They spread out the defense and get open receivers from it. There's always the possibility that they could run it from the backfield.

12. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Tyler came from Coastal Carolina. I don't think he thinks his job is secure at ANY stage. There's some wily vets they could bring in as back-ups, but I'm with Alen; I think you have to address the pass rush. They've hit and missed with quite a few defensive front 7 players over the past few years; Ryan Sims, Derrick Johnson hasn't been as advertised and Tamba Hali who has really struggled. But as we talk about with Miami, they could do with getting stronger in that area.

They're going to be bummed somewhat with having such a high pick. Combining Knowshon Moreno with Larry Johnson would be a hell of a 1-2 punch.

13. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    If they've identified a QB as a franchise guy, I don't think that they pass if he's availabe. My pure guess is that KC would take Bradford and Detroit would take Stafford. Thigpen has been impressive, but KC has to make sure that they get the right guy.

14. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Whose to say that Thigpen is the right guy and Stafford/Bradford/McCoy isn't?

Boomer likes this.
  15. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Money guarantees have a proven effect on players. S'all I'm saying.

They definitely need a pass rush, but caveat: they stunk even with Jared Allen.

It's a shame they didn't address this in last year's draft: then again, Jacksonville was drafting pass rushers left and right.

I see Larry Johnson getting traded, maybe to Cleveland.

16. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I'm not saying that Thigpen is the right guy- I'm saying that he's looked good this year, but if they've identified Stafford and/or Bradford as a franchise guy then I doubt that they'll pass on them.

17. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Exactly. There's a number of vets on that team; Brian Waters and Tony Gonzalez to name but an influential two, who think he's the right guy. People talk up Cleveland having Anderson, then drafting Quinn whilst Anderson went to the Pro Bowl and then fell apart some this year without really looking at the facts; firstly, what's happened to that Browns team since Quinn was drafted?

They've gotten worse not better. The front office has become a miserable mess, the fan base, the second Anderson made a mistake was calling for Quinn, Quinn and Anderson struggled with their relationship, Crennell is going to get whacked by a damn fine owner in Randy Lerner and all of a sudden, the Browns inability to run the ball - because Jamal Lewis is done as a starter - and the incredible bouts of dropsies by Braylor Edwards, coupled with the issues off the field and injuries that Kellen Winslow has had and the injury to Joe Jurevicious, have all been blamed on Derek Anderson, which is nonsense.

KC may well take a QB, but I don't think they're in a position to take a raw junior or a redshirt sophomore without being 2000% sure that Thigpen isn't there guy. Especially as next year and indeed the year after there are going to be very solid QB prospects coming out.

alen1 likes this.
  18. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    What money guarantees does Tyler have? He was a 3rd stringer who has grasped the nettle. It's not like he's set to get a monster pay deal at the start of next season.

They did stink with Jared Allen, but the fact that Allen was playing almost singlehandedly negates that. I look at KC and see a team in a similar situation to the way we were last year; they've lost a few close games, but they have good players, a decent front office, a good coach and in Glenn Dorsey, Branden Albert, Jamaal Charles, Brandon Flowers, Brad Cottam, DaJuan Morgan, Brandon Carr, etc., they've got a pretty solid base of young players.

As for Johnson, yep he could get traded. But he could also, if he's bright, see that KC is moving upwards and in a hurry.

19. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    They're going to have to redo his contract if he becomes the starter. There's no way he'll start next season and still have a 3rd stringer's contract.

Bright isn't one of the words I'd use to describe LJ with. Further, being traded may not be up to him.

20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    It wouldn't shock me if he did. He still has a lot to prove.

21. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    :lol: anyone remember the Vikings drafted Thigpen then cutting him because they wanted to put him on the PS :lol: oh man I laughed how stupid that was.

22. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    With a position as important as the quarterback position, I don't think the Chiefs should operate on the basis of being scared that they end up with two quality players at that position rather than just one.

I generally think that, and I've thought this since last year really, Sam Bradford does not come along very often. Maybe I'm off on this but I truly think he is the kind of stud at QB that you just do not see come out every year. If you think you MIGHT have something in Tyler Thigpen...that's great. It really is. You can stack that chance up on top of the chance that Sam Bradford becomes great, and you've done a heck of a lot to ensure that you're getting good play for the present and future out of the most important position in football.

Remember, the Chiefs just had a heck of a draft where they addressed all kinds of meat and potatoes positions. But they neglected the most important position in football and they're going to keep paying for that so long as they keep mickey mousing around it.

Tamba Hali is a tremendous player. I don't care that he's struggling this year, I know that he's going to do well over there, especially as guys like Glenn Dorsey and Turk McBride come further into their own. I'm still not sure about Tank Tyler yet, but that's ok. They have young players on that defensive line and when Glenn Dorsey really starts to come into his own, he will really multiply the success of guys like McBride and especially Hali.

And don't discount Jamaal Charles so quickly. He really has shown some things this year. He's averaging 5.7 yards per carry, for crying out loud...on 57 carries. He's also catching the ball well. Dwayne Bowe is a stud. Mark Bradley, if you ask me, was a pretty good pickup. Brad Cottam will come into his own. So will Branden Albert. They should focus on keeping Rudy Niswanger, as he's shown some potential. The defensive line is young and has real potential, there's some potential with Brandon Flowers and Brandon Carr, they need to strengthen the middle of the defense with GOOD linebackers and safeties...

...but first thing is first. Take care of that QB situation when you have the chance. Don't pussyfoot around it, thinking you're going to get away with some kind of veteran while you WAIT to see if Tyler Thigpen becomes what you hope he will. Football is not a game that rewards people who sit back and wait.

That's my opinion.

Of course if the option becomes Matthew Stafford, that's a little bit different...just because I'm not very certain he'll be a good pro or not. I'm still flipping that one around.

23. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    He already is the starter. And even if they DO re-do his contract, we're not exactly talking Donavan McNabb numbers here.

24. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

Well, yeah, you make good points about Bradford. We both know where we stand on this kid and it's front and centre in terms of his ability. I have a lingering issue with regards the reshirt sophomore thing, but if KC continue with the spread, which has clearly helped Thigpen, then they're not going to take Matt Stafford.

As for Tamba Hali, I dispute that he's a tremendous player; 31 tackles and 1 sack all season for a player who isn't very strong against the run and who has been subbed out in obvious passing situations recently doesn't strike me as all that tremendous and he's never seemed to recreate that rookie form where he registered 8 sacks.

25. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I mean the full-time starter beginning in the 2009 season. If they keep him in the spot, they're going to have to pay him. Again, Derek Anderson situation. It won't be an enormous contract, but it'll be in line with what one expects a starting NFL QB to earn.

Thigpen could very well be their guy, but simultaneously he could not. He wouldn't be the first player to disappear after initially putting up great numbers.

26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I doubt it will be that big of a raise, D. He's making 375k right now and I doubt he gets anywhere more than a couple million a year. Could be wrong though.

When did he put up great numbers? He's done well but he's thrown eight interceptions in eight starts and has a completion percentage of 54%. He's shown some good things, he hasn't played necessarily bad. I think he's played well as said earlier, given that he wasn't even expected to play I believe but those are hardly great numbers.

27. Die_Nasty

Die_Nasty Well-Known Member

May 16, 2008
    West Palm Beach, FL
    when you have 6 sacks on the year you have to address that. In a year with a ton of solid pass rushers out there, I think they pass on a QB in the first. We will see. :P