1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft Winds - Final Edition

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Boomer, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Kill everyone.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/spo...2011/04/draft_winds_heres_our_picks_fo_1.html

Thanks to all of you for your support this year. Especially to Muck and the guys here, but all of you who have helped, promoted, retweeted, commented, cajoled, encouraging, congratulated, commiserated, etc. It's been a pretty good year for us but we certainly didn't achieve half of what we set out to do. Hopefully we'll be here this time next year saying we did achieve it all. We need to take on a National Football Post mentality of daily blogging, tweeting, interviews etc. In a way we need to create the buzz in the same way that Rob Rang and Wes Bunting and those guys do.

But again, thank you very much indeed.

Boomer, CK and Con.

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I have to say I like CK's mock of the 3 of them, Ponder I'm just not sold on I think he can be good and he has good athleticism, but the injuries just put me off of him.

Though I'd like to see that pure speed rusher in that mix like Carter from Fresno State.

3. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    Boom, we are truly blessed to have you and the team here to raise our collective football IQ !

Hope you all had an awesome Easter !

Boomer likes this.
  4. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I love the Edmond Gates pick for the second round. He had the second best combine IMO for a WR behind Julio Jones. If we can trade down, get Ingram, then draft Gates, I'd be very happy. If we do that, I think we could be comfortable taking Williams in the 3rd. I wouldn't be saddened by McElroy in the fourth either. That would have the makings of a great draft. Getting the line sorted out would be a bit more difficult though.

Great work!

5. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I like Boomers mock the best. I might be tempted to dance a jig if it played out like that. Not that I know how to dance a jig.

Boomer likes this.
  6. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I see the DAVE HYDE is still in big, bold letters? lol.

7. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    How about this for offbeat (and all of the players we've worked out or had meetings with):

1. CB Jimmy Smith (trade w/ Colts targeting OT). Pouncey is gone & Smith represents great value here, will improve our defense, and is a guy we've had a private work out with.
    2. RB Mikel LeShoure (or Ryan Williams)
    3. TE Virgil Green, Jordan Cameron, or DJ Williams
    4. ILB Nate Irving (brings instincts, leadership, passion, and sideline to sideline stick his nose in the action play. Soliai and the run-stuffers up front allow us to take the slightly smaller playmaker)
    5. WR Aldrick Robinson
    6. OLB Greg Romeus (Ireland loves bargain shopping on draft day for guys who fall due to inuries)
    7. OT David Mims (massive RT who needs some NFL coaching to develop his great potential)
    7. NT Chris Neild (Miami needs a stout body backing up Soliai, and Neild is underrated)
    7. COP RB Nic Grigsby (he doesn't have Sparano's man-crush's (Jahvid Best) vision, but he has close to his speed with ability to make plays in space).

Undrafted FA: FB Matangi Tonga (humongous 290 lb fullback who is surprisingly quick, agile, and athletic for his size)

If the talent falls this way in the draft, there's no mid round, developmental QB I'd take over these impact players.

FA: stud guard, Harvey Dahl, and a vet QB to back up and challenge Henne.

GMJohnson likes this.
  8. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Excellent work gentlemen, all year. I am a little concerned about the 'Final Edition'. No recap? :)

Boomer likes this.
  9. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University

We draft Jimmy Smith and I will rip the **** off your avatar.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  10. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

If your talking what they "want" Im going Chris....if your talking who they "think" Im siding with Richard...

Sorry Boom you gotta settle for just being the best looking.

11. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    If our first three picks were Christian Ponder, Daniel Thomas and DJ Williams, I believe I would walk.

12. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

:lol:

Classic.

13. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    i could live with that mate!

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  14. PHINANALYST

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    Boom,

I think we choose Aldon Smith if he is still on the board - less a top 10 pick that falls (OLB, WR) @ 15 ... if not, then we go with Pouncey. I think the addition of either brings us an impact player this year that can make a difference on either side of the ball. I still believe we are still looking for the Impact SOLB to go along with Wake to terrorize QBs, and will take one between 1-3.

if we go Pouncey, then i think we go OLB in RD 3 with Ayers, Reed or Sheard .... or worst case in RD 4. Otherwise we go with QB: Stanzi, RB: Jones/Ridley, WR: Gates/More or TE: Thomas/Williams/Cameron ...

a trade down or mutliple trade downs brings in other possibilities, and of course, wipes out Pouncey and Smith .... and is where G: Rackley/Hudson, RB: Ingram/LeShoure/Williams and CB: Smith all come in ...

5th-7th:

C (1): Fusco
    RB (1): Powell, Fannin, Helu, Grigsby
    WR (1): Lockette, Moore, Webber ... fast returner type
    CB (1): Wilson, Marsh, Carmicheal
    QB (1): Enderle, Van Camp
    S (1): Sands, Culliver

Must haves from this draft: SOLB (big and fast), RB, WR (returner type), TE, G/C or T/G, QB (developmental), CB ....

15. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Does anyone know why Ireland hasn't met with Tory Smith WR, Maryland?

16. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I didn't think you needed an excuse. :rimshot:

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  17. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I feel ya; I'd walk out on this team, too.

:couch:

18. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    because he's just a fast kid playing WR. lol.

19. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I'm taking Boomer's mock with a slight edge.

20. PHINANALYST

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    Todd, even though i listed it as a possibiity, i just don't see us taking another CB in late RD1 .... Carroll, Smith and Davis are a nice trio to have in the fold - with Smith to play the middle in nickel situations. Smith along with Edds might finally give us some positive coverage on passing downs. I do think we pick one up later -- and like others have intimated ... are praying that Wilson goes very late given his character issues.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  21. PHINANALYST

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    i have to believe that they don't think Tory is worth that high a pick ....

ToddsPhins likes this.
  22. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I partially agree; however, if we trade back, Jimmy Smith could represent too much value as a top 10 talent in the mid 20's. Ireland likes that kind of stuff, and we did in fact bring him in for a workout, so we're at least interested. The ugly truth is-- our coverage was the worst part of our defense by far, and if we're supposed to have an elite defense, we can't allow that to continue. The Jets took a corner in the 1st round despite Revis & Cromartie, and NE took one too despite Leigh Bodden & Darius Butler (whom they took early in the 2nd round the previous year).

Carroll is a nice player, but I'm not sure if he belongs in the "trio" discussion about yet. Besides, he and SS are better on the boundary, so we somehow need a quality corner over the slot. That could either mean drafting one outright or taking a solid press man corner (to move Vontae closer to the box where he's at his best IMO) who has the potential to shut down a side of the field so that the safety can focus more help elsewhere. If we can afford to put Jimmy on an island without being a liability, then we can also bring extra pressure.

All in my opinion of course. I'd still prefer Pouncey, but Smith can't be ignored after a trade back.

23. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    cheh,
    [​IMG]
    Don't be stoopit!

24. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Dude, Koa Misi is a terrific player. I'm a huge fan of Aldon Smith but a SOLB isn't a must have.

PHINANALYST likes this.
  25. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    They may have met with Torrey Smith - I just didn't have it confirmed. Smith is a terrible route runner, BTW.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  26. PHINANALYST

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    Boom, not saying Koa is bad ... he just doesn't bring what we need is all. Should we go this route, it also allows Koa to be more Dansby-like ... be able to move both inside and out (Dansby's eventual replacement as a matter of fact) -- and would make out LB corps and front 7 pretty damn good!