1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft's top wide receivers

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by ATVZ400, Apr 14, 2008.

Tags:
  1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    1. Limas Sweed, Texas
    Height: 6-4 Weight: 210
    College stats: 124 receptions, 20 TDs
    Vital numbers: 4.50 40-yard dash, 4.33 short shuttle, 37 ½-inch vertical

Limas stayed in college for four year and refined his route running and ability to read coverage's. There is a lot less risk with Sweed than many of the other receivers. He had 39 starts in college football as opposed to Devin Thomas with 13 college starts. As he said to me in our discussions, "I know how to get open, I can leap and the best thing I do is adjust to the ball." Sweed will not be in the dark when he lines up against NFL secondary, while some of the other candidates just might be lost. Finally, this guy has excellent character. Draft projection: Round 1.

2. Devin Thomas, Michigan State
    Height: 6-2 Weight: 217
    College stats: 79 receptions, 8 TDs
    Vital numbers: 4.40 40-yard dash, 4.26 short shuttle, 33-inch vertical

Right now, Thomas is the popular choice to be the first receiver selected and he may well be. However, 13 college starts, junior college prior to that and two different high schools works against his great explosiveness. I must say his 1.47 10-yard time is lightning quick and in a simple system he may excel early. Draft projection: Round 1.

3. James Hardy, Indiana
    Height: 6-5 Weight: 217
    College stats: 191 receptions, 36 TDs
    Vital numbers: 4.49 40-yard dash, 4.22 short shuttle, 37-inch vertical

Hardy had some off-the-field issues two years ago, and some feel he turns it down over the middle. It all may be true, but he has special physical skills and will be a red zone threat from day one. Hardy caught 36 touchdown passes in 32 college starts. He's almost 6-foot-6, with a good vertical leap and long enough arms to get to a ball almost 12 feet high. He is a former Indiana basketball player and a 5-foot-9 corner doesn't have a chance on the jump ball. Draft projection: Round 1.

link to rest of list
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d807bdfdb&template=with-video&confirm=true

alen1 likes this.
  2. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I think Devin Thomas is the top receiver. Sweed has been injured. I also like James Hardy of Indiana....if one of them dropped to the #32 spot....they would be tempting.